Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Newcastle (h)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Silly analogy.

The goalkeeper position is obviously quite different and should clearly be judged differently to other players. If you judge a goalkeeper simply on what saves they make, it also highlights an uneducated view of the role their play in marshalling and communicating to the defenders.

Not really. You are the one advocating giving a keeper 10 out of 10 when they have absolutely nothing to do. It's the international break next week and England have a couple of pub teams with the strong likelihood Jordan Pickford wont touch the ball. A statue in goal would make no difference, he could take a chair and paper if he wanted to

Pickford : MOTM 10. Nothing to do.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sanchez - 6 - nothing to do
Veltman - 8
Dunk - 7
White - 8
Gross - 7
Bissouma - 8
Lallana - 9
Moder - 8
Trossard - 8
Welbeck - 7
Maupay - 7

Great call [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] re Potter and tactical changes - 9

Ref - 5 - thought he was poor.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Brighton win 3-0 , Goalkeeper "nothing to do" and gets a low score.

Is it only me that reads that as ridiculous ?

NSC drives me nuts at times. The only time a goalkeeper gets a high score on here is when another player makes a mistake leading to the goalkeeper having to make a save.

Start the goalkeeper at 10 and remove points where he makes a mistake.

So by the same logic, does Joelinton get a 10 because Newcastle created nothing?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unfortunately the marks wouldn't be any different if the stadium was full. I'm just highlighting the oddness of marking a goalkeeper and I've been consistent in commenting it about many times over the years.

Brighton Goalkeeper (Nothing to do) - 6.5

Lost 3.5 points because no-one made a mistake leading the goalkeeper to make a save ? Sorry ?

Where did the 6.5 come from ?

Might as well mark "n/a" as many do when a defender comes on for the last 5 minutes.

On basis of 7 for good, 8 very good, 9 Outstanding and 10 perfect I think 7 for keeper that had so little to do is right

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Sanchez - 7 - at least he’ll be fresh for International duty
Veltman - 8 - great assist. So accomplished. Nice black eye. Training with Andone?
Dunk - 8 - saw a lot of the ball, moved it around very well.
White - 8 - see Dunk.
Gross - 8 - so underrated by a noisy minority on Twitter. Fabulous cross for the third
Bissouma - 8 - won 4 tackles included that absolute beaut on the edge of our box in the first half. 93% pass accuracy.
Lallana - 7 - less influential than in our last two games. No coincidence that our upturn in form coincides with him and Welbeck’s return
Moder - 8 - great runs from deep. Unlucky that his first minute chance fell on his weaker foot. Going to be a star
Trossard - 8 - tends to have spells where he is lethal. In one now
Welbeck - 9 - MOTM an absolute menace tonight cutting in from the left. Benefitted from Potters tactical nous
Maupay - 8 - a Murray’esque goal, holding his run and hooking home. Needed that.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just to add this stat that made me smile. Sanchez completed more passes than any Newcastle player last night. Perhaps we can judge him like an outfield player?

[TWEET] 1373396017199132681[/TWEET]

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sanchez - 7.5 - Not much to do, but everything he did was calm assured and top notch
Veltman - 8.5 - Great performance again. Nice assist, playing out of position, but no drop in quality.
Dunk - 8 - Not much to do in the way of defending but everything he did was top quality,
White - 8 - Ditto.
Gross - 8.5 - The Cruyff turn setting up the assist was a beauty. I know it's commonplace, but it still works. Every. Single. Time.
Bissouma - 8.5 - Back to his best. The tackle on Shelvey in the first half looked like a 75%/20%/5% chance of Yellow/Red/Win the ball to me.
Lallana - 8.5 - Ran the game
Moder - 8.5 - Looks an absolute talent. What happened to needing a year to get up to speed with the Premier League??
Trossard - 8 - Goal of the season so far. ( No it wasn't identical to Welbeck's)
Welbeck - 8.5 - Great goal and caused havoc for the Geordies.
Maupay - 8 - Lovely goal and a much, much better performance. Still gets stuck thinking too much in the box sometimes, but looked a lot better overall.

Really can't choose between Moder/Biss/Lallan/Veltman/Welbeck/Gross for MotM. So I won't.
The most complete team performance I can remember.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Brighton win 3-0 , Goalkeeper "nothing to do" and gets a low score.

Is it only me that reads that as ridiculous ?

NSC drives me nuts at times. The only time a goalkeeper gets a high score on here is when another player makes a mistake leading to the goalkeeper having to make a save.

Start the goalkeeper at 10 and remove points where he makes a mistake.

It is just you, no one starts at 10.. a starting point is neutral. Sanchez had little to do but didn't quite get to Fraser's attempt. His distribution was very good and looked assured on the ball. Par for the course.

Sanchez 6

Everyone else had a largely positive impact on the game producing a winning result.

Veltman 8 Assist
Dunk 7
White 7
Gross 7 Assist
Bissouma 7
Lallana 8
Moder 8
Trossard 9 Goal, Assist
Welbeck 8 Goal
Maupay 7 Goal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Veltman has become such an asset. He can seemingly play left or right CB, left back, right back and right wing back with the ease, confidence and ability of someone who has played their all their life. He’s so calm and also a great going forward. There’s strong competition for POTY but he’s up there for me.

If I was Potter I’d give him a go at RWB in a late season dead-rubber so he can complete his defensive set.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Veltman has become such an asset. He can seemingly play left or right CB, left back, right back and right wing back with the ease, confidence and ability of someone who has played their all their life. He’s so calm and also a great going forward. There’s strong competition for POTY but he’s up there for me.

If I was Potter I’d give him a go at RWB in a late season dead-rubber so he can complete his defensive set.
I reckon he could even give playing goalkeeper a good go.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sanchez - 7 - Did have much to do but also didn't put a foot wrong. His passing was the only thing he had to get right and he did it very well

Gross - 7.5 - One of his quieter games, just the one assist this time. 21 assists now. Can anyone really doubt his value?

White - 7 - Had very, very little to do, but what he did, he did well

Dunk - 7 - See White

Veltman - 9 - Absolutely superb. Always an outlet, linked with Moder well, superb ball for Trossard. What a bargain...

Moder - 8 - Debut at this level? You'd never tell. Composed, brave on the ball, got forward. Only a goal would have capped it off

Bissouma - 7.5 - Much better than the last few weeks. Quietly efficient in his role and God the job very well done

Lallana - 8.5 - Everything seemed to go through him. Calm on the ball, vocal, always looking for a killer pass. He's been the difference since his return

Trossard - 9 - Superb goal, ran the channels and his role in the front three baffled the Newcastle defence

Welbeck - 8.5 - Linked play superbly. Scored a great goal. Looks like he's in a real hot vein of form now

Maupay - 8 - Bustling and hard working. Good goal too but needs to gobble up the easier chances

Subs:
7 all came on and did their job

Potter - 10 - This is where he earns his money. 3 defenders out so plays Gross at RWB and Moder at LWB. I don't think anyone saw that coming. He really sees players attributes rather than their positions. Sometimes it's overcomplicated, other times it's spot on. Tonight was the latter.

Now, for all the praise I do think we have to acknowledge that this was a training match against one of the worst Premier League sides I've seen in a while. What was a big game, a six pointer that could make or break a season, ended up as attack vs defence, where the defence was Championship at best.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Lallana world class tonight.

He totally is. We're extremely lucky to have him, oozes class and whilst a very different player to Vicente, he's similar in that he's on a different level.

I never realised just how good he was before. Keeping Lallana fit is a priority. He's brilliant.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sanchez 7 Little to do and distribution good
White 8 Has to be credit to CBs Newcastle had only one shot
Dunk 8 As above
Veltman 8 As above and hope means wont be seeing Burn on left
Bissouma 8 Back to his best
Gross 8 Good game
Lalana 8 Controled in deeper role and even deeper when we went 2 up to make sure they didnt get back in
Moder 7 Good first game. Bet couldnt believe it when had 2 chances in first 5 mins
Trossard 8 The first touch was as good as the goal
Maupay 8 What you want from CF bloody hard to mark
Welbeck 8 Thought didnt get involved enough in 1st half . Great goal . How nice to go 2 up and not watch from behind sofa.

Potter Pleasantly surprised left Burn out who is only suited to CB in a back 4

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sanchez - 7 - Did have much to do but also didn't put a foot wrong. His passing was the only thing he had to get right and he did it very well

Gross - 7.5 - One of his quieter games, just the one assist this time. 21 assists now. Can anyone really doubt his value?

Dunk - 7 - See White

Veltman - 9 - Absolutely superb. Always an outlet, linked with Moder well, superb ball for Trossard. What a bargain...

Moder - 8 - Debut at this level? You'd never tell. Composed, brave on the ball, got forward. Only a goal would have capped it off

Bissouma - 7.5 - Much better than the last few weeks. Quietly efficient in his role and God the job very well done

Lallana - 8.5 - Everything seemed to go through him. Calm on the ball, vocal, always looking for a killer pass. He's been the difference since his return

Trossard - 9 - Superb goal, ran the channels and his role in the front three baffled the Newcastle defence

Welbeck - 8.5 - Linked play superbly. Scored a great goal. Looks like he's in a real hot vein of form now

Maupay - 8 - Bustling and hard working. Good goal too but needs to gobble up the easier chances

Subs:

Potter - 10 - This is where he earns his money. 3 defenders out so plays Gross at RWB and Moder at LWB. I don't think anyone saw that coming. He really sees players attributes rather than their positions. Sometimes it's overcomplicated, other times it's spot on. Tonight was the latter.

Now, for all the praise I do think we have to acknowledge that this was a training match against one of the worst Premier League sides I've seen in a while. What was a big game, a six pointer that could make or break a season, ended up as attack vs defence, where the defence was Championship at best.

The Gross and Moder positions were inspired. It was a bit like City with Cancelo, we almost created new positions for then and Newcastle didn’t have a clue how to counter it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sanchez - 7 - Not a lot to do but seeing him come out and collect high balls just makes everyone happier. Distribution is good too.

White - 7 - Just looks so comfortable all the time.
Dunk - 7 - In control and looking for the diagonal pass too.
Veltman - 8 - Great technique and passing. Is there anywhere he can't play?

Gross - 8 - Great crosses and one of his best games for a while.
Lallana - 9 - MOM - Oozes class. Makes everything look so easy. Captain without the armband. Always telling players what to do.
Bissouma - 8 - Bossed the midfield and back to his usual standards. Was worried about the accidental collision affecting him but he was ok. Hope their player is and proud of the class Bissouma showed in regard to this.
Moder - 8 - I think he was the ace that threw Bruce's plans out the window. He was all over the place and looks a real find. Shoots like Bissouma though.
Trossard - 8- Took his goal really well and looked like he really wanted the ball. Great performance.
Welbeck - 8.5 - Showed his class with some brilliant 1st touches and hold up play plus a great strike.
Maupay - 7 - Good finish. Always works hard but sometimes just needs to be more aware of who is around him in a better position.

Potter -9- Great team and perfect tactics. Potter in!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Dunk - 7 - See White

Subs:

As well as we played last night, and we did play very well, Newcastle were awful.

That said, I think Potter is really starting to get us playing in a manner that can get results, and not just look pretty. Now if he would only increase the tempo we play at, because we are still a bit plodding, and when we do up the tempo we create far better goalscoring opportunities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here