Norwood 7
Hemed 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7 for March.

You missed a zero boy!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Absolutely agree with these scores and comments.

Few weaknesses in the side and the sight of Solly picking up where he left off last season was great as we're still too reliant on moments of magic from Knocky.

With a little luck with injuries and more cover for Murray/Baldock I really think we can do it this season. It would help if Kayal and Rosenior got back to full fitness too.

We've not played well the last few matches but are still grinding out results and look at our goal difference (thanks to Glenn!). Bet Newcastle never thought anyone could keep up with them this long!

If we have as many weaknesses as above, we wouldn't be second. A couple of players had off games yesterday but to call them weaknesses is extremely harsh.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stockdale 7 - Nothing he could do about the goal. Good save at 1-0 and decent off his line
Bruno 6 - Not his best game but still did okay
Dunk 8 - Solid at the back and didn't give Birmingham many chances
Duffy 7 - Same as Dunk but one point less for his involvement in their goal. Almost scored late on
Bong 6 - Struggled a bit but not solely to blame for the cross for the goal as others were around. Improved when March came on
Knockaert 8 - Fair choice as MoM due to goal and assist but between first 10 minutes (when he beat full back for a shot and forced a foul leading to a card) and the last 10 minutes and injury time he didn't do much
Stephens 6 - Not his best game. Struggled to get hold of the ball and gave it away a couple of times, one leading to the goal
Sidwell 6 - Again struggled to get hold of the game
Skalak 6 - Not his best game but put a couple of decent free kicks into the box and they were probably our main threat for the first hour
Murray 7 - Did nothing much all game except score. Exactly what we signed him for and a great header/celebration
Baldock 6 - No real service but didn't really impact the game

Subs:

March 8 - Would have been man of the match except he wasn't on long enough. Did so well for the goal and tested their defence every time he had the ball. Also won the free kick leading to the corner for the second goal
Norwood 7 - We looked better in midfield once he came on
Hemed 6 - Didn't seem to do much but the extra physicality up front seemed to make a difference

Hughton 8 - Made the substitutions early and the correct ones. Could have taken Murray off for Hemed but made the right choice to add extra physicality up front

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Thought we were poor........
Amazing win [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

6 - average

Stockdale 7
Bruno 5
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 6
Knockaert 7
Stephens 5
Sidwell 5
Skalak 5
Baldock 5
Murray 6

March 7
Norwood 7
Hemed 6

Agree with these apart from March 9.

At present we are only putting in real effort when we need to. I know it's a long season but we need to put more into the start of games IMO.

January looks tough and a crucial month.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm assuming you're overlooking the fact that we were 1-0 down in the second half because of Duffy being beaten in the air for a goal again? As well as the fact that their first minute chance came as a result of him losing a header and then giving the gall away within the space of 10 seconds?

Considering those factors, and the fact that you've marked him higher than any of our other defenders, I guess my question is simple - were you watching the game today or another, alternate reality game?

It was actually Stephens that was dispossessed for that first minute chance, which was by no means the only time that happened during the game, including in the lead-up to their goal. Beyond those dispossessions, I thought Stephens had a really good game, but they ought to be assessed not too far off defensive or goalkeeping errors or bad misses by strikers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

6 - average

Stockdale 7
Bruno 5
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 6
Knockaert 7
Stephens 5
Sidwell 5
Skalak 5
Baldock 5
Murray 6

March 7
Norwood 7
Hemed 6

So 6 is average, and March was just a bit better than that. Wow.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
If we have as many weaknesses as above, we wouldn't be second. A couple of players had off games yesterday but to call them weaknesses is extremely harsh.

I actually meant "few weaknesses" as a compliment not a criticism and the rest of my post reflected that, I thought?

In the scheme of things, our only real weakness, I think, is a lack of cover in the forward department which has been covered (to exhaustion!?) in other posts.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I actually meant "few weaknesses" as a compliment not a criticism and the rest of my post reflected that, I thought?

In the scheme of things, our only real weakness, I think, is a lack of cover in the forward department which has been covered (to exhaustion!?) in other posts.

To be honest it was more aimed at the post you were quoting (hence I said above) but you did seem to be agreeing with it. The original comments from them on Skalak and Stephens were especially harsh I thought.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stockdale 7 Did no wrong
Bong 6 Fair
Dunk 9 Outstanding
Duffy 6 Very good but dont understand he didnt do more jumping wise for goal
Bruno 6 Fair
Stevens 6 Marked down for giving ball away for goal
Sidwell 6 Fair
Skalak 4 Manager likes him away because of defensive work Offers nothing going forward.
Murray 7 He is only one of strikers we think will score when gets ball.
Baldock 5 Cannot see how a striker can get in so few scoring positions
Knockhaert 7 What an entertainer. Unusual to see this type of player contribute so much to defence
March 8 Never seen a sub change game like that
Team 9 Would have been so easy to have been relived to equalise and sit back. All credit for going for winner

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

6 - average

Stockdale 7
Bruno 5
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 6
Knockaert 7
Stephens 5
Sidwell 5
Skalak 5
Baldock 5
Murray 6

March 7
Norwood 7
Hemed 6

Despite the win this is the most accurate assessment on here. We were poor, in particular in the first half. Baldock, Skalak and Sidwell were the obvious substitutions and all need to improve their game because they were carried by the substitutions tonight, Baldock in particular was woeful.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sorry where does it say a 'bit'?

You must be a genius to be able to interpret everyone's marking system.....

Thanks for your input.

So much of a genius that I'd say that an 8 would be comfortably above average -- even good, or very good -- whereas a 9 would be getting towards excellent or outstanding.
Apologies for such presumptuousness and over-interpretation.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Despite the win this is the most accurate assessment on here. We were poor, in particular in the first half. Baldock, Skalak and Sidwell were the obvious substitutions and all need to improve their game because they were carried by the substitutions tonight, Baldock in particular was woeful.

I'm not sure how you can pick Baldock out for criticism. He had little impact on the game but we didn't give him any service. The service improved a lot once March came on and Baldock was off ten minutes after that.

I think it was a pretty normal Championship game for 70 minutes. Both teams solid but little to test either keeper. Because we've had such high standards over the last 18 months, expectations have risen but people are over doing how bad we were.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So much of a genius that I'd say that an 8 would be comfortably above average -- even good, or very good -- whereas a 9 would be getting towards excellent or outstanding.
Apologies for such presumptuousness and over-interpretation.

Apology accepted. [emoji6]

Just for you. My thoughts......

Dunk MoM, but no better than an 8 imo.
March, Knockaert, Bong, Stocko all played well and above average.

I genuinely do not think Solly played better than those mentioned, with the key fact being they did it over 90 mins.

You could even judge out of 5 per half, which I am aware some journalists and certainly (internally), a professional club I know used to do in the early 80's. That would give Solly a maximum of 5.

Question for you is, did he stand out because Jiri was so poor as were some of his colleagues or because he was 'streets ahead' of everyone else?

Have I missed your ratings?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 7

Bruno 6
Bong 7
Duffy 6
Dunk 7

Knockaert 7
Skalak 6
Sidwell 6
Stephens 6

Baldock 6
Murray 7

March 7
Norwood 7
Hemed 6

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
It's very hard to mark a lot of our players today because most of them were shocking for the majority of the game. Our team spirit is superb though which is all that counts in games like this.

Shocking?
Blimey, that's harsh.
I only saw it live, I haven't had the benefit of watching the full sky coverage, but based on what I saw I can't agree with shocking.
There is no doubt every single player has had better games, but none of them were shocking.

Stockdale 7 No faults. Kicking was pretty decent, made a good save 2nd half and no chance with the goal and let's be honest didn't have a great deal to do.

Bruno 5 I'm a big fan, but didn't have one of his better games.
Bong 6 A bit sloppy with some of his passing on occasions, but offered more going forwards than Bruno.

Duffy 7 Some great blocks, won lots of important headers and generally played well ... but should have done better with the Birmingham goal.
Dunk 8 Another very impressive display. We now expect it as the norm. He has set himself very high standards.

Sidwell 6 A few decent challenges, but not at his best.
Stephens 6 More influential than Sidders and generally played better than Sidders ... but marked down because twice lost possession weakly leading to one time Birmingham hitting the post and one time Birmingham scoring a goal. Needs to sharpen up in the next game.

Skalak 5 His defensive discipline is commendable and probably difficult to measure in terms of importance in terms of how it has contributed to our current good run of results, but he yet again offered very little offensively.
Knocky 7.5 Scored a great goal and assisted the winner, so he should be getting at least a 9.5, but take those two things away and there was about another 92 minutes of football where he wasn't particularly outstanding. However, he looked a lot better than he has for a while and his work rate always impresses. Welcome back Anthony!

Baldock 6.5 His workrate is 2nd only to Knocky. He created space for others, as usual, but nothing too positive happened for him.
Murray 7 Gave him an extra 2 points because his goal gave us an extra 2 points, but in truth he was pretty average at best. He has had much much better games than this one.

March 8 MOM He completely changed the game. Superb performance.
Norwood 7.5 A huge improvement on Sidders, we never looked in any trouble from the moment Norwood and March came on.
Hemed 5 Not on for very long and very little contribution.

Hughton 8 Cannot argue that his twin substitution of March and Norwood completely changed the game in our favour.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shocking?
Blimey, that's harsh.
I only saw it live, I haven't had the benefit of watching the full sky coverage, but based on what I saw I can't agree with shocking.
There is no doubt every single player has had better games, but none of them were shocking.

Stockdale 7 No faults. Kicking was pretty decent, made a good save 2nd half and no chance with the goal and let's be honest didn't have a great deal to do.

Bong 6 A bit sloppy with some of his passing on occasions, but offered more going forwards than Bruno.

Duffy 7 Some great blocks, won lots of important headers and generally played well ... but should have done better with the Birmingham goal.
Dunk 8 Another very impressive display. We now expect it as the norm. He has set himself very high standards.

Stephens 6 More influential than Sidders and generally played better than Sidders ... but marked down because twice lost possession weakly leading to one time Birmingham hitting the post and one time Birmingham scoring a goal. Needs to sharpen up in the next game.

Skalak 5 His defensive discipline is commendable and probably difficult to measure in terms of importance in terms of how it has contributed to our current good run of results, but he yet again offered very little offensively.
Knocky 7.5 Scored a great goal and assisted the winner, so he should be getting at least a 9.5, but take those two things away and there was about another 92 minutes of football where he wasn't particularly outstanding. However, he looked a lot better than he has for a while and his work rate always impresses. Welcome back Anthony!

Baldock 6.5 His workrate is 2nd only to Knocky. He created space for others, as usual, but nothing too positive happened for him.
Murray 7 Gave him an extra 2 points because his goal gave us an extra 2 points, but in truth he was pretty average at best. He has had much much better games than this one.

Norwood 7.5 A huge improvement on Sidders, we never looked in any trouble from the moment Norwood and March came on.

Hughton 8 Cannot argue that his twin substitution of March and Norwood completely changed the game in our favour.

100% with you on this. Seeing words like 'shocking' and 'woeful' (just examples) really grinds my gears. OK, so we weren't at our best, but don't exaggerate FFS..........'below par' I can live with.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Apology accepted. [emoji6]

Just for you. My thoughts......

Dunk MoM, but no better than an 8 imo.
March, Knockaert, Bong, Stocko all played well and above average.

I genuinely do not think Solly played better than those mentioned, with the key fact being they did it over 90 mins.

You could even judge out of 5 per half, which I am aware some journalists and certainly (internally), a professional club I know used to do in the early 80's. That would give Solly a maximum of 5.

Question for you is, did he stand out because Jiri was so poor as were some of his colleagues or because he was 'streets ahead' of everyone else?

Have I missed your ratings?

Doing it now. Honest.
ps I still think you're wrong about March

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Shocking?
Blimey, that's harsh.

You've just saved me the effort: I'll go along with this, especially the comments (you've got Stephens' performance down to a tee), but will upgrade Bruno to a 6, and March to a 9. If he played like that for 90 minutes, I'd be tempted to give him a 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here