Barnes 2
CMS 6

Subs:

Vicente 8
Vincelot 5

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
01. Gonzalez 6 (now I have seen video of goal)
02. Calderon 7 (was solid and gets extra point for some quality crosses and the goal)
03. Painter 2 (dont understand this decision at all, I like the man, but he is just not currently up to it, Reyes on bench and Mattock was fit....makes no sense)
04. Bridcutt 8 (was MOM for me, love his lazy approach on the pitch, but timer and time again is there to break up play and build attacks)
05. Dunk 4 (worst performance of the season, needs a rest till August to clear his head, I think was to blame for Gonzalez being nervous)
06. El-Abd 7 (solid as always, got better as game went on)
07. Dicker 3 (feel for this guy, not sure he is at 100% yet and he needs to be to be effective, Narvarro should have played)
08. Barnes 3 (i bang my head, i really do, has effort in abundance, but lacks the basic quality of a championship player, technically he is not very good and fucks me off how easy he goes down under the weakest of challenges)
09. Mackail-Smith 6 (better game, his best for a while, loved the ball being played long to him and looked happy being able to run at defenders, needs a goal to boast confidence)
10. Buckley 7 (bags of energy again and got in some good positions, should have scored 1st half)
11. LuaLua 6 (looked out of sorts lat night, terrible final ball on occassions, but still has the presence about him to worry defenders which is half the battle)

Vicente 8 (Makes us look a good side, effortless on the ball, his middle name should be "create" cause thats all he does)
Vincelot 6 (much better than Painter and looked ok going forward, i like him)

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The first half was truly embarrassingly awful. How can an Albion team be so bad? I'm afraid Gus takes a good deal of the blame for a) picking the wrong team, and b) persisting with Painter after his awful display on Saturday.

Gonzales 4. Having seen the video of the first goal it did appear to swerve a lot, so he gets 4 instead of 3. But too many other bad decisions, particularly in the 1st half.
Calderon 7. He continues to be a better player than before he lost his place to Reyes. Good goal. But must take some of the blame for the 1st half fiasco.
ElAbd 7. A lot better than Saturday.
Dunk 6. Too many misplaced passes in the 1st half, but much improved in the 2nd.
Painter 3. Very poor.
Buckley 7. Not at his best, but a good goal and some good runs.
Bridcutt 7. Not a bad game, but like all the rest he has to shoulder some blame for the 1st half.
Dicker 4. Marginally better than Painter. Unlike some of his team-mates he did not appear to improve in the 2nd half. Almost responsible for them scoring a 3rd as a result of a stupid pass. Constantly knocked off the ball.
LuaLua 5. Did not see enough of the ball. Not one of his best games.
Barnes 3. Rubbish. Constantly knocked off the ball. Poor passing. Contributed nothing.
CMS 7. One of his best games for a while. Unlucky not to score.

Subs:
Vincelot 8. My MOM even though only on for the 2nd half. The guy looked very good. Excellent passing, great defending. Where has he been? Gus??
Vicente 7. Not his best game, but some quality stuff. We must avoid giving him the ball every single time he's available. One (or was it two) assists.

I think recent events (Painter and Dicker being brought back short of match practice; Dunk having been in the wilderness) show the need for a reserve team.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Gonzalez: 5. Poor for the goal and early distribution was poor, but slowly gained confidence.
Painter: 3. woeful, looked really out of his depth and half a yard off the pace both physically and mentally
El Abd: 7. did well to shackle the front two, contender for MoM
Dunk: 6. Not a great first half (thought touch was poor) but got better as game went on
Calderon: 8. Good going forward and tracked back well, good laces on the goal.
Bridcutt: 9. MOM. Did very little wrong tonight.
Dicker: 4. far too many misplaced passes - some good intentions but was not up to it.
Lua Lua: 6.5. Looked to use his pace and power when possible, but didn't get the service or support from Painter.
Buckley: 7. Had the beating of their FB on more than one occasion, but looked isolated. Good finish for the goal.
Barnes: 6. not a great game, but wasn't his worst either. Always worry that his actions will cause him trouble.
CMS: 6.5. Good effort early on but other attempts were hard but did well - seemed very keen to chase the long ball which had their CB's on the lookout.

Vicente: 7. Not his best game but looked good when on - radar was slightly off but that little bit of quality mattered.
Vincelot: 7.5. Very impressed - composed, good on the ground and in the air and willing to track forward. Would have liked to have seen 90mins from him, as he's been good each time i've seen him.

It's not often I completely agree with someone's ratings and comments for a match, but THIS.

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
Still don't get how CMS can be said to have a good game because of his work rate. He's supposed to be our main striker. Fluffed a sitter, was scared of their centre backs, (ok so he is about a foot shorter) consistently not there when Kaz or Buckley were looking for him. I'd rather he stayed glued to the spot all night long and be there for a tap in, than run about all night and screw up the few chances he has.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Still don't get how CMS can be said to have a good game because of his work rate. He's supposed to be our main striker. Fluffed a sitter, was scared of their centre backs, (ok so he is about a foot shorter) consistently not there when Kaz or Buckley were looking for him. I'd rather he stayed glued to the spot all night long and be there for a tap in, than run about all night and screw up the few chances he has.

Just imagine the abuse if he was Barnes...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or Dicker, Or Painter, Or Navarro, Or Brezovan, Or Ankergren, or Paynter.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average match ratings v Watford (26 votes)

Vicente 7.31
Calderon 6.96
Buckley 6.88
Bridcutt 6.85
Vincelot 6.60
El-Abd 6.54
Mackail-Smith 6.12
Lualua 5.88
Dunk 5.85
Barnes 4.67
Gonzales 4.67
Dicker 3.58
Painter 3.50

Team average: 5.80

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is extremely generous for Gonzalez. If only we could bounce the player ratings thread from the Southend away game in 2000. I wonder how Michel compared.

Jimmy Grimble

Average match ratings v Watford (26 votes)

Vicente 7.31
Calderon 6.96
Buckley 6.88
Bridcutt 6.85
Vincelot 6.60
El-Abd 6.54
Mackail-Smith 6.12
Lualua 5.88
Dunk 5.85
Barnes 4.67
Gonzales 4.67
Dicker 3.58
Painter 3.50

Team average: 5.80

Have you got a season-so-far total [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]? Separate overall ratings for home and away matches?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have you got a season-so-far total [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]? Separate overall ratings for home and away matches?

I don't have them separated home and away, but season so far:

League:
Brezovan 6.64
Mattock 6.63
Greer 6.76
Elphick N/A
Dunk 6.83
El-Abd 6.80
Hoskins 6.21
Navarro 6.37
Barnes 5.98
Sparrow 5.89
Noone 6.20
Mackail-Smith 6.36
Paynter 4.78
Calderon 6.39
Vicente 7.46
Ankergren 6.44
Harley 5.26
Dicker 5.57
Poke N/A
Vincelot 6.40
Harper 6.12
Painter 5.80
Agdestein 6.51
Vokes 6.22
Lualua 6.49
Bridcutt 6.87
Taricco 6.09
Cook 7.81
Bergkamp N/A
Buckley 6.60
Hall 7.25
Kasim N/A
Barker N/A
Jara Reyes 6.09
Forster Caskey 7.03
Sampayo N/A
Rodgers N/A
Razak 6.53
Assulin 6.44
Gonzales 4.67

Cup:
Brezovan 6.91
Mattock N/A
Greer 7.22
Elphick N/A
Dunk 6.91
El-Abd 6.72
Hoskins 5.84
Navarro 5.71
Barnes 6.20
Sparrow 6.25
Noone 6.92
Mackail-Smith 6.10
Paynter N/A
Calderon 6.09
Vicente 6.39
Ankergren 6.73
Harley 6.58
Dicker 6.31
Poke N/A
Vincelot 6.53
Harper N/A
Painter 7.16
Agdestein 6.04
Vokes 5.39
Lualua 6.79
Bridcutt 7.11
Taricco 7.55
Cook 7.11
Bergkamp N/A
Buckley 6.65
Hall 6.42
Kasim 5.57
Barker N/A
Jara Reyes N/A
Forster Caskey 6.78
Sampayo 5.36
Rodgers N/A

Jimmy Grimble

Fantastic - thanks.

So from those who have played (what I would say is) a decent enough amount of games in the league, the top 5 is:

Vicente
Bridcutt
Dunk
El-Abd
Greer

Backs up the suggestion that centre-back is our strongest position (if it needed backing-up).

bhafc arundel

Apr 4, 2012
arundel
Gonzales 5 not as bad as some made up but not a good debut
Calderon 8 Great going forward and scored
Painter 1 great player last year but terrible in this game
Dunk 7 solid and looked good
El abd 5 really had a hard time with their strike pair
Dicker 4 a great sort of back heel pass but gives the ball away too much for this league
Barnes 6 really tries and does great defensive work but needs to improve to make team next year
Lua Lua 4 not his night
Buckley 9 mom best player on the pitch
Bridcut 7 tidy as always
Cms 7 one of his better games for us but needs a goal

Subs
Vicente 8 turned the game
Vincelot 7 look solid when he came on

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Great to see the overall averages. I reckon they give a good overall indication. One matter of particular interest is that Harper comes out the lower of the three keepers

Brezonvan 6.66
Ankergren 6.44
Harper 6.12

That suggests our keepers are perhaps too much maligned (ie seizing on any possible mistake) and maybe a contributory reason to Harper remaining in Newcastle and not featuring in top class football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here