Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v city

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought Barco was ok and improved as game went on, he seemed to be one of the few who had some fight in him , something which was sadly lacking last night and that's the thing that annoys not the gulf in class (there was a massive one).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Steele - 4 - Didn't really make any saves, but hard to see how those were going to be stopped (see other threads for further discussion)

Veltman - 3 - His worst game in a Brighton shirt, his substitution for Offiah screamed, "this is the end for Joel"
Dunk 5 - Still doing what his manager asks, for better or worse. Did OK I thought
Van Hecke - 4 - Loose in possession
Barco - 7 - Odd mark, given a blunder for a goal, but when you're playing City, you get punished. The bigger picture is, he has huge promise. Decent driven corners as well

Moder - 4 - Found it hard to get close to KDB. Correctly withdrawn
Baleba - 4 - Decent on the ball. But City exposed his inexperience. Should have been much tighter with Foden, though I realize that's tough

Pedro - 5 - Never great out wide. A wonderful flick on to Gross running through who got easily chased down by Akanji. Looked much better towards the end of the game and got us a nailed on penalty
Gross - 3 - The nosedive in his form has coincided with the nosedive in our results
Lallana - 2 - Passenger
Welbeck - 4 - Willing to shoot, but couldn't hold it up or get us in the game

Subs made no impact and Adingra was horrendous. O'Mahoney should be getting more minutes though

Let's not judge us on that one. City at this stage of the season, gunning for the title, with all but one fit is a tough tough game. Judge us away at Muff this weekend

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I must be missing something because I don't think we were *that* bad last night. Yes, some silly mistakes and sometimes trying to do a bit too much, but there was some lovely passages of play right in front of us in the FS.

Other mitigating circumstances (I'm not calling them excuses - I had already said it would be a City win and Foden to score (as usual)) are a depleted/inexperienced set of players to pick from and the opposition being arguably the best team in the world.

But sure, dish out the twos and threes 🤣

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I must be missing something because I don't think we were *that* bad last night. Yes, some silly mistakes and sometimes trying to do a bit too much, but there was some lovely passages of play right in front of us in the FS.

Other mitigating circumstances (I'm not calling them excuses - I had already said it would be a City win and Foden to score (as usual)) are a depleted/inexperienced set of players to pick from and the opposition being arguably the best team in the world.

2/10

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Steele 5

Veltman 4
Dunk 5
Van Hecke 5
Barco 6

Moder 4
Lallana 3
Baleba 5
Gross 4

Welbeck 5
Joao Pedro 5

Igor 3 (At fault for the fourth)
Offiah 5 (That run was brilliant)
Adingra 4 (Needs to revise the offside rule)
Others N/A

One thing that I thought was bizarre in the first half. When we were building from the back, we never used Barco and always went to Veltman instead, who was all at sea, totally outpaced and outclassed. Not really sure what the plan was there, whether we were targeting that side or if the players just don't trust Barco, but it didn't work.

The ultimate difference between us and them (bar the massive gulf in quality) was their players were actually moving into space when they were playing it round at the back whilst ours were just stood around. Kovacic moved forward when Ederson had the ball before their second and nobody followed him, allowing him to receive the ball unchallenged through the middle and start the move which led to the 'free kick' for the second. It's obviously very hard playing a team like City but I don't think our tactics did us any favours.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I thought we were outplayed and outclassed by the better team and probably deserved to go down 2-0 but was well pissed off the way every decision went against us. I was surprised the ref didn't get Foden's autograph while he was sitting on his arse appealing for a penalty after slipping over :mad:

But from some of the scores on here, anyone would think we were playing a 9 man walsall :rolleyes:

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Out of position for the cross for the first goal and gave the ball away for the 3rd.
I don't think that was Barco's fault for the 3rd goal as Steele put him in a very dangerous position by playing the short pass to Baleba who knocked it onto a closely marked Barco under pressure he tried to pass it back to Baleba but it was intercepted for the goal. So in hindsight (which is all too easy for us armchair experts
🙂
) I have to put the blame on Steele for this goal as he had Dunk as an option who was free on his right but chose the more dangerous option putting both Baleba and Barco in real danger which led to the goal.
bournemouth-new-logo (2).jpg

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well one thing this thread demonstrates is how subjective fans are when it comes to analysing football matches. I’m not going to score the players because there is no universal understanding of the value of scale for the scores here anyway and someone will contest it - one person’s 2 is another person’s 4 etc I don’t think we played badly against a world class Championship side - before they scored, we were looking good and getting through their defences - 2 unfortunate goals, some inaccurate passing by a number of players and then it was too hard to regain possession against a team who keep possession better than we do. Youngsters who understandably make mistakes because it’s part of the learning curve, older players lacking speed and agility and 9 players out injured - did anyone expect us to not be beaten? I thought before the game it would be a 6-0 win for Citeh so I was pleasantly surprised :lolol:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well one thing this thread demonstrates is how subjective fans are when it comes to analysing football matches. I’m not going to score the players because there is no universal understanding of the value of scale for the scores here anyway and someone will contest it - one person’s 2 is another person’s 4 etc I don’t think we played badly against a world class Championship side - before they scored, we were looking good and getting through their defensives - 2 unfortunate goals, some inaccurate passing by a number of players and then it was too hard to regain possession against a team who keep possession better than we do. Youngsters who understandably make mistakes because it’s part of the learning curve, older players lacking speed and agility and 9 players out injured - did anyone expect us to not be beaten? I thought before the game it would be a 6-0 win for Citeh so I was pleasantly surprised :lolol:

There’s also a long standing nsc argument about use of the scale. Someone tried and failed to browbeat me that scores below 6 shouldn’t be permitted.

(As if we’re judging kids, to give positive feedback and something to work on? God knows). The argument seemed to be a minimum of 6 for at least showing effort. Conversely giving a couple of 10’s can be criticised.

Imho all 11 values are there to be used. 0/10 would be an Akpom taking the p1ss.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There’s also a long standing nsc argument about use of the scale. Someone tried and failed to browbeat me that scores below 6 shouldn’t be permitted.

(As if we’re judging kids, to give positive feedback and something to work on? God knows). The argument seemed to be a minimum of 6 for at least showing effort. Conversely giving a couple of 10’s can be criticised.

Imho all 11 values are there to be used. 0/10 would be an Akpom taking the p1ss.

I think you've got something here. Values 0 to 10 should be assigned according to vintage Albion performances. Trossard Liverpool away was a 10. No away player scores a hat trick at Anfield let alone a BHAFC one. It's a 10.

Trossard as sub against Charlton, however, was a 0. I've seen statues move more then he missed a pen

I'd struggle to get values solely with Trossard from 1-9 though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In black and white terms you are right but I still feel that is harsh and ignores all the other good stuff he did.
Can't think of anyone else who put in a shift like he did - maybe JPVH but lets give the youngster some encouragement.
Spot on.

Cucurella on top BHA form would have been f***ed up the arse with a splintered broom handle before he reacted. Barco did as well as anyone currently on our books.

When £x cubed Billions rock into town wanting to win, you lose. . . . It's only the manner of defeat you can question.

a kid with no experience, and his first ever start, gave an extremely good account of himself.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Steele 4
Veltman 4
Dunk 5
Hecke 5
Barco 6
Moder 4
Baleba 4
Lallana 3
Gross 4
Pedro 5
Welbeck 4

To be fair, they're all probably knackered (bar Steele and Barco) and Manchester City can beat anyone in the world. I thought they all tried but were just completely outclassed.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I think scores over 6 shouldn't be allowed.

Not like they're saving orphans from that clown from IT or something is it?

They should take my 3 and be grateful for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here