Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Cardiff away

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see people are starting the 'just back...' threads. Anyone got any ratings for us not there?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Ankergren 8

Calderon 8
Dunk 8
Greer 8
Painter 8

Spaz 8
Dicker 8
Bridcutt 8
Vincelot 8

Barnes 9
Mackail-Smith 9

Navarro 7
Hoskins 8

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ankergren 7
Calderon 7
Dunk 8
Greer 8
Painter 9
Sparrow 7
Dicker 7
Vincelot 8
Bridcutt 7
Barnes 9
CMS 10

Navarro 7
Hoskins 8

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Ankergren 7

Calderon 7
Dunk 8
Greer 8
Painter 8

Sparrow 7
Dicker 8
Vincelot 8
Bridcutt 7

Barnes 9
CMS 9

Hoskins 8
Navarro 7

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
From one of the city boards, some one said that Sparrow marked Whittingham out of the game and therefore got rid of Cardiffs best creative player. I wasn't there so can't comment but if this is true he deserves an 8 or 9 as that could have been one of the main reasons we won so comfortably.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well that was fun !

I didn't think we would get anything before the game, then I remembered who their manager was, and it was all roses

We swamped midfield and had complete control bar the first couple of minutes, the ten minutes before our first goal (the irony was that with all their players committed forward Barnes had some space for about the only time all night) and the last ten when the game was dead. Awesome display. People said that Cardiff played a passing game like us, well no, when we pressured them they hoofed it. To play this style you have to be committed to it, and boy our players are committed. My favourite move was early on with Greer in pressure by our goal line, he passed to Calderon, who flicked it to Dicker, out to Vincelot, up to CMS and through to Barnes who was just offside with the keeper to beat. It all happened in seconds and surely shocked their fans. Beautiful football. Three good goals, could have had more and apparently there was a penalty at the end but no-one near me noticed until they were placing the ball on the spot.

Ratings:

Ankergren 7 one good save, good distribution as ever, plenty of flapping as ever - some good punches but it would be nice if he could catch the ball at least once....
Painter 9 excellent game, got forward well, tackled very well, he was well up for this game and got booked for winding the Cardiff fans up. Brilliantly, every time he got the ball after that he was inevitably booed and didn't make a single mistake
Calderon 8 covered huge amounts of ground with no winger in front of him, our only crossing option tonight but none of them came off - and it might be me but he looked tired
Dunk 8 usual (!) solid self
Greer 8 very good again
Bridcutt 7 always involved, but didn't need to work as hard as he did at Pompey. Went right off the boil for a period of ten minutes in the first half when Cardiff had their best spell. Shows how integral he is to that midfield. Luckily our first goal killed them and we took control back after that.
Dicker 8 very good again, helped by not being closed down very much
Sparrow 7 didn't see much of him, perhaps because he was doing a marking job, but was part of a midfield in control of the game
Vincelot 8 very active player, ferreting around the midfield for loose balls. Constantly harrying and sniping and collecting posession before passing it off to Bridcutt or Dicker to spread the play. His influence was most clearly seen when he was subbed off and suddenly we weren't picking up so many second balls.
Barnes 9 lots of movement, caught offside a couple of times, and ultimately did little except for two very well-taken goals - and that deserves a nine in my book. Penalty was very coolly taken
CMS 9 just runs and runs and runs. Never seen anything like it. Did brilliantly to win the ball and take it into the box and round the defender for the penalty, thought he was going to score before being crudely taken out. Hit the post when very well placed earlier in the half

Navarro 7 slotted in nicely, obviously doesn't have the pace of the rest of the midfield
Hoskins 7 very neat finish, he could score a lot. The three strikers combined well together at the end.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Well that was fun !

I didn't think we would get anything before the game, then I remembered who their manager was, and it was all roses

We swamped midfield and had complete control bar the first couple of minutes, the ten minutes before our first goal (the irony was that with all their players committed forward Barnes had some space for about the only time all night) and the last ten when the game was dead. Awesome display. People said that Cardiff played a passing game like us, well no, when we pressured them they hoofed it. To play this style you have to be committed to it, and boy our players are committed. My favourite move was early on with Greer in pressure by our goal line, he passed to Calderon, who flicked it to Dicker, out to Vincelot, up to CMS and through to Barnes who was just offside with the keeper to beat. It all happened in seconds and surely shocked their fans. Beautiful football. Three good goals, could have had more and apparently there was a penalty at the end but no-one near me noticed until they were placing the ball on the spot.

Ratings:

Ankergren 7 one good save, good distribution as ever, plenty of flapping as ever - some good punches but it would be nice if he could catch the ball at least once....
Painter 9 excellent game, got forward well, tackled very well, he was well up for this game and got booked for winding the Cardiff fans up. Brilliantly, every time he got the ball after that he was inevitably booed and didn't make a single mistake
Calderon 8 covered huge amounts of ground with no winger in front of him, our only crossing option tonight but none of them came off - and it might be me but he looked tired
Greer 8 very good again
Bridcutt 7 always involved, but didn't need to work as hard as he did at Pompey. Went right off the boil for a period of ten minutes in the first half when Cardiff had their best spell. Shows how integral he is to that midfield. Luckily our first goal killed them and we took control back after that.
Sparrow 7 didn't see much of him, perhaps because he was doing a marking job, but was part of a midfield in control of the game
Vincelot 8 very active player, ferreting around the midfield for loose balls. Constantly harrying and sniping and collecting posession before passing it off to Bridcutt or Dicker to spread the play. His influence was most clearly seen when he was subbed off and suddenly we weren't picking up so many second balls.
Barnes 9 lots of movement, caught offside a couple of times, and ultimately did little except for two very well-taken goals - and that deserves a nine in my book. Penalty was very coolly taken
CMS 9 just runs and runs and runs. Never seen anything like it. Did brilliantly to win the ball and take it into the box and round the defender for the penalty, thought he was going to score before being crudely taken out. Hit the post when very well placed earlier in the half

Navarro 7 slotted in nicely, obviously doesn't have the pace of the rest of the midfield
Hoskins 7 very neat finish, he could score a lot. The three strikers combined well together at the end.

very good thanks

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Well that was fun !

Ratings:

Greer 8 very good again

Yep. Very good summary. For long periods it was like watching Barca/arsenal/Spain!!! Probs the best away performance I've seen in 40 years of watching Albion. Cardiff were not on the same page! Top stuff!!

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
They all deserve 10/10 imo, as do our fans, great day out.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Go onto bbcsport and listen to the Cardiff manager say that our squad has been together for 3 years. :facepalm:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ankergren 8 - Didn't have a great deal to do but what he did do was solid and gave his defence in front of him confidence
Calderon 8 - Steady eddie, never lets you down
Dunk 9 - Collossus at the back
Greer - See Dunk
Painter 9 - The ultimate swashbuckling full back, great going forward, strong in the tackle, how long till one of the big boys come sniffing??

Sparrow 8 - A quiet game, but dependable in what he did rather than spectacular
Dicker 89 - Always so composed, had plenty of time on the ball, picked out some great passes and was at the heart of everything good we did. An inspiration
Vincelot 8 - Not as good as Dicker but still hugely influential and impressive
Bridcutt 8 - Boy, what a player in the making, seen him play better but still looked so classy at times and too good for the hapless and overrun Cardiff midfield.

Barnes 10 - Took his goals with aplomb, 15+ this season from Barnes. Looks the real deal.
CMS 9 - Workrate was fantasrtic, first touch not always there but never gave the Cardiff defence a minutes peace, should have done better when he hit the post.

Support 11 - Magnificent support, great banter with the Cardiff fans, gave the team their all and the team dulely gave the same back.

PREMIER LEAGUE, HERE WE COME!

Aug 16, 2011
Can I just say that McKail Smith is a right little prick upfront - real premiership quality and a defenders nightmare. Great finish too. We'll swap you Parkin and a hotdog for him. They come as a package.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ankergren 8 - Didn't have a great deal to do but what he did do was solid and gave his defence in front of him confidence
Calderon 8 - Steady eddie, never lets you down
Dunk 9 - Collossus at the back
Greer - See Dunk
Painter 9 - The ultimate swashbuckling full back, great going forward, strong in the tackle, how long till one of the big boys come sniffing??

Sparrow 8 - A quiet game, but dependable in what he did rather than spectacular
Dicker 89 - Always so composed, had plenty of time on the ball, picked out some great passes and was at the heart of everything good we did. An inspiration
Vincelot 8 - Not as good as Dicker but still hugely influential and impressive
Bridcutt 8 - Boy, what a player in the making, seen him play better but still looked so classy at times and too good for the hapless and overrun Cardiff midfield.

Barnes 10 - Took his goals with aplomb, 15+ this season from Barnes. Looks the real deal.
CMS 9 - Workrate was fantasrtic, first touch not always there but never gave the Cardiff defence a minutes peace, should have done better when he hit the post.

Support 11 - Magnificent support, great banter with the Cardiff fans, gave the team their all and the team dulely gave the same back.

PREMIER LEAGUE, HERE WE COME!

Impressive.

francisg1

Montone English
Jul 26, 2004
Cardiff
Not according the the sage STeve Claridge who thinks he hasn't got a first touch and that he won't score many in this league. Enjoyed listening to him back-track for two hours as we bossed the game.

And then David Pleat compared Mackail-Smith with Claridge - that shut him up! But seriously... no way those two players can be compared!

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Ankergren 8 - Some comfortable saves and made some good decisions with when to kick/pass. I thought he dealt well with the crosses too.

Calderon 7 - Very solid and always provided an outlet going forward.

Greer 9 - So important to our game, just instils confidence in everyone and starts moves from the back. Very solid in defence.

Dunk 9 - Stunning last-ditch header off the line in the first half. Looks so composed, confident and happy on the pitch. He is going to be a star.

Painter 8 - Solid as usual, very tidy in possession too.

Vincelot 8 - Fits in seamlessly to our style of play. Was a constant menace to them, harrying and hustling for possession.

Dicker 8 - His kind of game. Cardiff didn't really get close to him, giving him more time on the ball, which is not good news for opposition players... A brilliant footballer, some of his turns and drops of the shoulder are Premiership quality.

Bridcutt 8 - A central figure once again for us. Sometimes loses the ball but bloody hell does he work hard to get it back.

Sparrow 7 - Pretty strong performance. Always looks busy and has some nice touches but would like to see him get a bit more involved as we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Barnes 8 - Great strike for the first goal, good ball for CMS in the second half as well. Decent penalty against a backdrop of taunting Cardiff fans. He looks confident, stronger and absolutely a million miles from the Barnes of a year ago.

Mackail-Smith 9 - Wow. Just ran and ran and ran. Played a part in all 3 goals, was unlucky not to get one himself and made the Cardiff defenders lives an absolute nightmare for 90 minutes. You can see why Gus had him as our number 1 transfer target.

SUBS

Hoskins 7 - Didn't look particularly fit but took his goal superbly well. Very pleased he's got off the mark so early.

Navarro 8 - Did an important job for us in providing fresh legs in midfield. Looked far more energetic than I've seen in the past. Glad we have him for another year.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ankergren 7 Did everything well. A couple of useful if routine saves based on faultless positioning and mixed his distribution well

Calderon 7 Had to play well forward to give us extra width with no wingers playing and covered so much ground as a result. Not his most effective game but kept their defence occupied as well as doing all he had to do at the back

Painter 8 Happy Birthday! Possibly his best game for us up against a very useful attacking fullback as well as a fairly useful front line and as has been remarked he also managed to interact positively with members of the Cardiff crowd much to our fans' amusement

Greer 8 I have to admit to being a massive fan - he controls the game from the back so effectively and has great vision. His influence is apparent in Dunk's performances (especially his developing positional play) and he rarely gives opposing forwards much of a look in with well timed tackles and a decent turn of pace.

Dunk 8 Come from nowhere to be a potential u-21 international and that's not just us saying so! Looks better with every game and no booking last night!

Bridcutt 7 Nothing at all wrong with his performance but he stood out less because everyone else stepped up a notch to match him

Sparrow 7 Came in to do a job giving us a little extra height and helped to effectively stifle their midfield by stopping Whittaker from playing

Dicker 7 Another exceptional performance. He really has set himself a standard in the last two games! Helped to keep Cowie and Mason from enjoying the freedom that they had against Bristol City at the weekend with the result that they never really got going.

Vincelot 8 Gets an extra mark from me because what he did was largely unheralded. Sniping and breaking up their attacking play high up the pitch so that the central midfield battle was effectively lost before Cardiff even got over the half way line. Between him, Spaz and Dicko their midfield threat which is their main weapon was almost entirely negated

Barnes 7 I've said on another thread that comparing him alongside CMS does him few favours but he plays an important role taking up the space that Macca creates and he has got real balls to take on the penalty role after last year's failures. Great strike for the first goal and a lovely pass to CMS to hit the post

Mackail-Smith 10 Best all-round performance I have seen from a striker in years and he didn't even score! Gives us so many options and as an outlet for our defence as he seems like he can chase down and win anything whether down the middle or wide - great pace and body strength; their defence was terrified and although they actually did well to hold him it was inevitable that he would create opportunities for himself or others. Brilliant turn for the penalty (how was that not a red card?) and lovely through ball for Hoskins to mark his debut with a goal.

Navarro 7 Good steadying influence to take any possible sting out of their attempt at a late come back filling the Vincelot role high up the pitch very effectively. Great to see him back and not looking at all out of place albeit in a short cameo.

Hoskins 7 Difficult to come in to such a fluid attacking set-up late in the game and find the pace and movement to impact but one chance and a great strike to definitively kill the game. Promises a lot you feel.

Fans 11 Our away fans excelled yet again with non-stop noise and some inventive and often very funny chants. "We're f***ing brilliant" is a favourite but "you're losing to the gays" and "3-0 to the batty boys" were surely appreciated even by the home fans and "is this your fire drill" as their fans poured away early was a sheer joy. Well done all of you!
That said we spoke to some of their fans after the game who came over to us on the way out and in the queue in Subway and congratulated us on the team performance and on our support so not a bad bunch themselves I have to say.

and for the locals' view
............................Cardiff City 1 - 3 Brighton: Player ratings and YOUR verdict - Football News - Football - WalesOnline

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here