Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Bristol C Away

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
CMS has looked a little peeved at times as we dont seem to get the ball through to him quick enough. Was this the same today? I think that when Hoskins is fit and playing he will look a lot better and get better support and service than he gets at the moment..

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
CMS is still adjusting his game to our style, and we are still adjusting our game to him.

Hes mustard plain and simple :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Painter ratings are a little alarming. Against Blackpool & Peterborough, he worried me. Unfortunately he just lacks pace.

Radio guys rated Noone, Bridcutt & Dunk particularly.

Poyet I think was aiming a dig at England U21 set-up when he mentioned some still don't rate Dunk.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
1. Ankergren 8
2. Calderon 7
3. Painter 5
4. Bridcutt 9 (mom)
5. Dunk 8
6. Greer 7
7. Harley 6
8. M-Smith 6
9. Barnes 6
10. Dicker 6
11. Noone 8

Subs
Lualua 6
Buckley 7

Under par performance, but I'll take these 1-0 away wins all the way to the Premier League. Good turnout numbers wise, must have been at least 1500, didn't like having that bloody drum next to us, rubbish, although it helped us react against their songs I guess. Bristol City were our match for much of the game but completely toothless in front of goal. What is all the fuss with Maynard about? The bloke is pony!

I guess I should explain why I marked painter down, it was due to their right wing beating him with almost every run, any danger to us (such as it was) came from that side.

Pretty much agree with Mackenzie. Painter was left for dead a few times, CMS ran his heart out and never stopped chasing. I thought James did really well to keep CMS out - he looked a class keeper. The Albion fans were superb and hopefully that came across on Player/the radio. I thought there were periods when City matched us, but it is a great three points won.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Can't be bothered to go threw rating all the players, but stand out preformances from Noone, bridcutt and the 2 Cb's, CMS needs a rest, his worst game of the season so far by a long way.I reckon painter shouldnt get so much shit, yes he got done afew times by their decent winger but what fb does'nt, its a position that leaves u open to get done occasionally. Barnes played out wide at times in a 4-5-1 formation and had a good game imho, I'm starting to think he is a poyet favourite and I'm not one to argue with the great one...Go easy on me its an alcohol induced write up:)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ankergren 7 Had a good game and made two very good saves
Greer 8 Close to MOM for his organising and influence
Dunk 7 Played well but a couple of very dodgy occasions tackling in the area when the gall got stucj between his feet and he wasn't too sure where it was. Relies on Greer which is as it should be but becoming much more self confident especially breaking forward
Calderon 7 Solid and when he comes forward for corners especially he causes mayhem. Sometimes under pressure defending but stuck too it
Painter 7 really not convinced about this lack of pace thing. First half in particular he had a great game and very involved going forward
Noone 8 his volley on the turn that skimmed the bar was worth the entrance money alone. Played well until he tired in the ten minutes before being subbed
Harley 7 very influential and involved in midfield until he tired. Will improve with games
Dicker 7 a good shot tipped over and worked hard throughout. That early season habit of giving the ball away seems to be a thing of the past
Bridcutt 9 my MOM - always available for a pass and rarely put the ball in the wrong place. Broke up their attacks well and covered an amazing amount of ground
Barnes 7 sometimes over-ambitious but once again in the right place at right time and plays exactly as Gus asks him to
CMS 7 selfless running but just a little off his usual pace and missed a gilt edged chance

Buckley 8 very hard to come on as a sub and pick up the pace in the engine room but really exerted himself midfield and forward and the goal felt inevitable when he and Kaz came on against a tiring defence
Lua Lua 7 bright with good control and left the full back for dead every time he chose to run down the line. Helped to create the win out of what looked like being shared points

Referee 7 Tried to let the game flow in quite tricky conditions and didn't get too much wrong

Hissing Sid or Ernie (or whoever it was who tried to invade the pitch when we scored and got himself ejected) 10 Funniest thing all afternoon after the stupidity on here this week

Rest of the Brighton Fans 7 not as loud as sometimes but some great humour as always

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Thought it was our worst performance so far this season, apart from the first half against Doncaster and we were perhaps a little lucky to get the three points, fans were fantastic, Bristol City's fans were poor. As for the players:

1. Ankergren 8 Did everything he needed to and the save right at the end was real
class
2. Calderon 7 Defended well, got forward now and again, solid game, at the end
of the game he applauded the fans and looked really happy
3. Painter 6 Did what he had to do, got forward a bit, but does look to lack a
little pace, but fairly solid game
4. Bridcutt 9 My MOTM again, was everywhere, broke the play up, always
available, a quality performance again
5. Dunk 8 Spot on again, Gus lock him in a long term contract now please
6. Greer 8 Quality quality quality
7. Harley 6 Looks a good player when on the ball, dont think he's yet adjusted to
the pace in the Championship, got caught several times on the ball,
appears to stroll around a bit
8. C-M-Smith 6 Thought he was struggling a bit, looked unhappy actually and
seemed to moan about the service which TBH wasnt good. I think
he's struggling with the way we play, its not direct enough for him
9. Barnes 6 Had a quiet one apart from scoring
10. Dicker 6 Average game
11. Noone 8 Thought he started OK was kicked around a bit early on. Thought
he looked tired, not up to the fantastic form he has been in but
he has been soooooooo good
Subs
Lualua 7 Did Ok, getting his pace back, went past his defender with ease,
couple of good crosses and won several corners which were
welcome at the end of the game. I just wish when he gets the ball
he'd go for it more often instead of turning back
Buckley 7 He is going to be a really good player for us, if he gets a run of
games and gets properly match fit other teams will worry about him

And yes i was also there

You say our worse performance but give7+ for all Players I'm not criticising but but it doesn't make sense if the team is 7+ then in my book that's pretty good.

Anyway all said we are top of the league, we are top of the league!!!!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thought CMS did ok, but didn't get much service in the first half. Second half the whole team played much better. CMS had two or three half chances, including a great header just wide. He was also put right through by a great ball from Buckley (I think), but slipped at the crucial minute. My ratings would be....

Ankergren 8 (vital save at the end, did nothing wrong)
Calderon 7
Painter 7
Greer 7
Dunk 7
Bridcutt 8
Harley 6 (nice touches, but lost concentration several times, and a couple of times seemed to give up - not the Poyet way)
Dicker 7
Noone 8
Barnes 7 (didn't do much apart from the goal!)
CMS 7

Buckley 8
Lua Lua 7

This.... on Harley today.

I would go for

Ankergren 9 (faultless/confident performance, top save at death)
Calderon 7
Painter 7
Greer 8
Dunk 9 (star man)
Bridcutt 9 (mopped everthing as usual - class)
Harley 5 (Ok on ball, but lost concentration and ball a few times, gave up chasing bals he could have won a few times, ambling about - seemed half arsed)
Dicker 7
Noone 8 (skinned their left back EVERY time)
Barnes 7 (good llink up play always willing - not much of a threat until he scored)
CMS 7 (looked under par - still a bit sick? not running as hard as usual - though even under par he still did well)

Buckley 8 (he's going to be great, full of running and tricky)
Lua Lua 8 (brief but back to his best, took on and beat their right back EVERY time, the right back even did an air kick, Lua Lua and the ball aleady being 1 metre passed him)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ankergren - 8 very assured and a great save
Greer - 7 solid defending
Dunk - 8 class
Calderon - 7
Painter - 6 he was a bit exposed until Barnes moved over to the left and Noone went on the right
Noone - 7 caused City problems and was hacked down because of it
Harley - 5 for reasons already given
Dicker - 7 didn't do much wrong
Bridcutt - 8 had a great game controlling the midfield
Barnes - 7 worked his socks off and pounced on the winner like a rottweiler
Mackail-Smith - 6 ran well but seemed under par today

LuaLua - 7
Buckley - 7

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
1. Ankergren 7
2. Calderon 7
3. Painter 6
4. Bridcutt 9 (mom)
5. Dunk 9
6. Greer 8
7. Harley 6
8. M-Smith 6
9. Barnes 7
10. Dicker 7
11. Noone 7

Subs
Lualua 7
Buckley 7

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Ankergren - 7
Greer - 7
Dunk - 10
Calderon - 7
Painter - 7
Noone - 7
Harley - 7
Dicker - 7
Bridcutt - 10
Barnes -7
Mackail-Smith - 7

LuaLua - 8
Buckley - 9

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Was there. Agree Bridcutt MOM. While gus has said break was good for us felt team as whole was lacking some sharpness for most of match. Dunk fantastic esp 2nd half. CMS usual bundle of energy but did fade for a period in 2nd half, seems to be playing a slightly different game to the rest, holding the ball up but others not reacting to it, one time they did good shot on target, agree that as he gets used to players around him and vice versa could be awesome.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Very worried about Harley. His losing the ball at points and then body language against Posh was the same - arrogant. Hope it gets ironed out of his game, or is just a symptom of adjustment from L1 also rans to Championship... well, contenders presently!! I really want to like this player. Hope we see some improvement. Or bench him!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Thought it was a pretty average game and we looked a little less cohesive going forward, but defensively we were absolutely airtight. Casper was comfortable (brilliant save at the end too), CMS looked tired, maybe still struggling from his back injury on Scotland duty. Barnes put in a good shift and held it up really well, especially in the second half. Dicker & Harley both drifted in an out, Noone was less effective than usual but still a bag of tricks, Calderon was solid but Painter got absolutely turned inside out by Adomah all game. Bridcutt & Dunk were absolute class, AGAIN. If Nicky Maynard is a £6m striker, Dunk is a £12m defender, he looked like he could have dealt with two Maynards. Had him in his pocket from start to finish. There was one moment where they lumped it long and Maynard was running at Dunk as the ball came down, he shaped to head it back to Ankergren to wrongfoot Maynard, took it down on his chest and sprayed the ball out to Painter on the left, all in one moment. Absolutely faultless, get him on an 8-year contract NOW.

kjgood

response

You say our worse performance but give7+ for all Players I'm not criticising but but it doesn't make sense if the team is 7+ then in my book that's pretty good.

Anyway all said we are top of the league, we are top of the league!!!!!!

thats because in previous games we have been 8+ so 7+ makes it our worst performance. wasnt being critical just objective and giving an honest opinion. The standards set have been so high this year. Have you heard what the radio and TV said about the game?

And your right WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I find myself back in Gloucestershire tonight, and a detour to pick up the Brizzle Green Un (its not even green) was worthwhile I thought.

Its fair to say that the Brizzle Naylor didn't see it quite the same: His Albion ratings:

Ankergren - 7
Greer - 8
Dunk - 7
Calderon - 7
Painter - 7
Noone - 8
Harley - 6
Dicker - 6
Bridcutt - 6 (yes, I checked, that is SIX - FFS!)
Barnes -6
Mackail-Smith - 7

LuaLua - no rating provided
Buckley - no rating provided

Whilst I think his scores for our superstars were pretty low, especially our midfield who completely ran the whole game, they're not as bad as his opinion of the Brizzle starting XI. The total for their starting eleven was 68. Our total was 75. Which I reckon is about right.

He gives it 7/10 for atmos and 6/10 for entertainment.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Couldn't see this thread for 2 days......... hmmmmm - obviously me!!

Casper - 8 - Best performance of the season so far. Took a couple of crosses, great save at the end.

Calderon - 7 - Played well defensively
Painter - 6 - Got roasted on a few ocassions looked shakey (first time this season IMO).
Greer - 8 - Great performance
Dunk - 9 - Outstanding, at times looked like a combination of Foster and Lawrenson.

Bridcutt - 8 - Great performance
Harley - 5 - for the reasons stated previously. Careless with his passing and did not track back very well.
Dicker - 6 - Not on the ball enough for me and looked to be tiring. Ok though.
Noone - 7 - Started well and then tired. Gave the both full-backs a torrid time until 60 mins.

Barnes - 6 - Quiet. Followed up well for the goal. Great celebration.
Mackail-Smith - 6 - Sprang to life when he got the ball, but that wasn't enough. Should have scored at least twice.

Buckley - 6 - Not on for long. One good ball in, but didn't keep shape enough for me.
Lua-Lua - 7 - Starting to look dangerous again....... thank goodness!

Ref - 7 - Actually ok, should've booked McGivern (blond left back) for persistent foul play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here