Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings Liverpool - Brighton

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Connolly is still a kid - he needs to develop more physicality so that he doesn't get pushed off the ball like he was several times today (and I think he got a bit frustrated with it).

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Well.. hmm. Its a bit complicated.

I was curious about Potter in Östersund and when he went to Swansea I started following his adventures more closely and sort of fell in love with that club. I thought I was "stuck" with Swansea but still wanted to watch GPs work in Brighton.

But I pretty soon found myself developing some warm feelings about Brighton... likeable owner, likeable players and great fans (I think NSC played a huge part in "converting" me).

So... I actually consider myself a Brighton fan now (though I'm likely out when GP is).

Don't take this the wrong way but I am struggling to understand who you are, as Sherlock Holmes would have said were he a real person - "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

Graham Potter - Probably not allowed to engage in social media, especially with your criticisms of the players so soon after the game.
Billy Reid - I have this irrational impression of a hard-bitten Glaswegian, Jim Taggart type character, totally at odds with social media other than to launch his laptop through the nearest window at the first mention of fish puns on NSC.
Bjorn Hamberg - Your English and erudition is better than a lot of posters on here so you are more likely to be a British native.
Kyle Macauley - Scottish, educated .......Hi Kyle :bigwave:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ryan - 8: Kept us in the game. Nothing he could do against the goals.

Montoya - 6: I want to think he is the future but I'm just not convinced. Strongly feel we will go for a RB in the Jan window.
Dunk - 7: Should have scored in the 1st half, but epic free kick, speed of thought reminded me of Paul Ince.
Webster - 6.5: Should have done better for the first goal but not a terrible performance. Sometimes hard to remember he is only 24.
Burn - 7: I still feel he isnt a LB, but he did alright today.

Gross - 6: Kinda 'meh'. I can't help but feel we need either Gross or Mooy and on current form Mooy gets it.
Bissouma - 6.5: Looked to be positive but didn't really add much.
Stephens - 6.5: Did what he had to do which helped us solidify but not much else to report.
Propper - 7.5: Lovely touches and seems to be the only midfield who is keen on having a pop from 20+ yards. Some touches of his i was purring over. Immense player on his day.
Mooy - 7.5 Still a bit slow but great touches and a good effort on goal. Hope we secure him permanently.

Connolly - 6.5: Showed willing but can't help but feel we didnt play to his strengths: SO many times he made a run but it wasn't picked up. Shame he was replaced by Maupay as together they may have caused problems.

Overall an alright performance and positives to gain from that.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Would like to see

3-5-2 with Bernardo back.

Ryan

Montoya
Webster
Dunk
Burn
Bernardo

Mooy
Stephens
Propper

Trossard
Maupay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Ryan - 8

Montoya - 5
Dunk - 7
Webster - 5
Burn - 6

Gross - 6
Bissouma - 5
Stephens - 7
Propper - 8
Mooy - 7

Connolly - 6

Yes second half we played well, but Liverpool coasting by then and had had tough midweek fixture. Ryan stopped us from being 4-0 down at half time. Too many average performances at best. Need a new right back, striker and Webster fails to convince so far.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ryan - 8

Montoya - 7
Dunk - 8
Webster - 7
Burn - 7

Gross - 7
Bissouma - 7
Stephens - 8
Propper - 9 Best player on the pitch on either side
Mooy - 7

Connolly - 7

Pretty much as I saw it . . . .I wonder if Proppers outstanding performance and more forward positioning was because he was let off the leash, or felt confident in doing so with the knowledge Stephens, Mooy, Gross and Bissouma were all there to help as well. Whatever, I hope it didn't go un -noticed as he looked a goal scoring threat. Gross was slow out of the blocks, but improved. his corners are every bit as good as T A-As Dunk could/should have had a hatrick yesterday.

I didn't think Maupay had any impact, Trossard and Alzate a little but clearly they're all up against top class opposition.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well.. hmm. Its a bit complicated.

I was curious about Potter in Östersund and when he went to Swansea I started following his adventures more closely and sort of fell in love with that club. I thought I was "stuck" with Swansea but still wanted to watch GPs work in Brighton.

But I pretty soon found myself developing some warm feelings about Brighton... likeable owner, likeable players and great fans (I think NSC played a huge part in "converting" me).

So... I actually consider myself a Brighton fan now (though I'm likely out when GP is).

So did you go to the game ? I’m not sure I could give individual player ratings from watching a game on tv. How are you judging the positional movement off the ball and tracking by defenders that closes space and prevents goal scoring opportunities ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Ryan 8 Kept us in game
Burn 7 Not a fan as a full back but ok. Have to give credit for Salah not getting in game
Dunk 6 Overshadowed by 2 misses and failure to deal with 2 goals
Webster 5 All very well to be good on ground but what about defending. Not enough effort to attack ball for first goal
Montoya 7 Thought he did well limiting attacks from his side
Stevens 6 OK Maybe our defensive midfielder but please try and be a bit more creative
Mooy 7 Very good. The player to give it to when you want to go forward
Propper 7 Very good. Best game for a long time but get a goal
Bissouma 6 Average. Doesnt do enough off the ball. Cant understand how he got nod over Alzate
Gross 6 Got better as game went on
Connelly 5 Thought through lack of experience out of his depth.This is not acadamy football where you can rely on through balls. Has to do more outside penalty area to make himself available. Dont understand why Maupay didnt play

Potter Like Leicester knew there strengths at set plays. Didnt cope

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bissouma. So much potential, so little discipline. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes just wanders around as if has taken a wrong turning on the way to the shops and blundered into the middle of a game he has never seen before.

Just coming back from an injury and not had the benefit of prolonged coaching under Potter, in comparison to the rest of the squad.

I say give him a chance and a run in the team, and let's see if we can squeeze that potential out of him. If we can we will have quite some player.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
For those that went to the game, what position was Gross playing ? The line up was packed with midfielders and I only saw MOTD so very difficult to work out. Was he at fault for the first goal ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So did you go to the game ? I’m not sure I could give individual player ratings from watching a game on tv. How are you judging the positional movement off the ball and tracking by defenders that closes space and prevents goal scoring opportunities ?

So true.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

With all due respect, more probably watch live streams than live, and whilst you get a narrower field of view, half the time, you do get all the angles and replays. So it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I've read/heard some incredible opinions from people who were at games but probably at the bar/eating pies/having a piss, or too busy ranting at something that happened the minute before . . . . .there's no rights or wrongs in how you watch these days, we can't all get there, or get in, if we can, but at least we're playing at a level whereby we can all follow in detail. Long may it continue.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For those that went to the game, what position was Gross playing ? The line up was packed with midfielders and I only saw MOTD so very difficult to work out. Was he at fault for the first goal ?

He lost the ball, and gave away a free kick retrieving it (50/50)

So his fault arguably for the free kick, but not his fault we conceded, different department.

He was playing front right of a 4-3-3,

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Ryan 8 Kept us in game
Burn 7 Not a fan as a full back but ok. Have to give credit for Salah not getting in game
Dunk 6 Overshadowed by 2 misses and failure to deal with 2 goals
Webster 5 All very well to be good on ground but what about defending. Not enough effort to attack ball for first goal
Montoya 7 Thought he did well limiting attacks from his side
Stevens 6 OK Maybe our defensive midfielder but please try and be a bit more creative
Mooy 7 Very good. The player to give it to when you want to go forward
Propper 7 Very good. Best game for a long time but get a goal
Bissouma 6 Average. Doesnt do enough off the ball. Cant understand how he got nod over Alzate
Gross 6 Got better as game went on
Connelly 5 Thought through lack of experience out of his depth.This is not acadamy football where you can rely on through balls. Has to do more outside penalty area to make himself available. Dont understand why Maupay didnt play

Potter Like Leicester knew there strengths at set plays. Didnt cope
Dunk and Stephens were much better than a six.
Take out the first twenty minutes and I thought we were excellent. I thought Bissouma looked off the pace, Gross isn't a wide player and offered very little assistance to the full back going forward mainly due to his lack of pace. If Gross plays he has to be in the No. 10 roll.
Last, while Connelly is a huge talent he needs to hold the ball up better a bit light weight and stop being offside, with his pace just play off his markers shoulder or run along the defensive line and time his run.
We aren't far off being a good side.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Having now seen it on TV I think Ryan left their first goal, I think he thought it was going over.

Speaking to some Liverpool fans and they all seemed to rate Dunk and Propper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here