Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings Crystal Palace - Brighton

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Mooy had a shocker. Lots of merriment around us when he was made MOTM. I am usually very positive but the insipid display today, involving much giving the ball away, being easily brushed off the ball and lamentable finishing has left me pretty fed up.
A part of me wants to get this over with and start afresh in a league in which we can compete.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a MOTM announcement get that sort of reaction before, where 30k people in unison went ‘what?’

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Well I believe Potter got the selection wrong, and had Murray played and Alzate perhaps a different result in terms of finishing......

All very hypothetical though to be fair.

Equally, a lot of the shots recorded were pea-rollers with no hope of going in.

Murray potentially, but I'm still really unsure where Alzate fits in the team. Don't get me wrong, but who does he replace? Hasn't quite got the vision yet of Mooy/Gross, takes too long to get a shot off to be a #10, and whilst he isn't terrible at RB, he isn't an RB. Has he got the physicality for a CM role? Potentially but not in the same mould as say, Stephens.

I guess it's a good conundrum to have - i'd rather have a player like Alzate on the bench who at least is versatile, than a weak bench like we have had in the past.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Murray potentially, but I'm still really unsure where Alzate fits in the team. Don't get me wrong, but who does he replace? Hasn't quite got the vision yet of Mooy/Gross, takes too long to get a shot off to be a #10, and whilst he isn't terrible at RB, he isn't an RB. Has he got the physicality for a CM role? Potentially but not in the same mould as say, Stephens.

I guess it's a good conundrum to have - i'd rather have a player like Alzate on the bench who at least is versatile, than a weak bench like we have had in the past.

Agree - looks an excellent player (prospect), but he's competing with Propper, Stephens, Mooy and Bissouma (I wish Potter would stop putting him on at RB) for a midfield berth of some sort.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Every stats firm gave Mooy great ratings, and with or without the data I have no clue why everyone decided Mooy was shiet this Saturday.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

Or as most of us witnessed on Saturday Mooy was just too slow in possession and releasing the ball. Since he got the contract it's sods law that his form has dipped and he always looks like he's going to be dispossessed.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Ryan - 5 - perhaps should have done better with the goal
Montoya - 5 - he's played worse, but i expect Lamptey to take over before the end of the season
Webster - 6 - did okay, takes the ball out well which is why he's in the team
Dunk - 5 - At fault for the goal, I've said it before, but he's not a captain.
Burn - 6.5 - Kept Zaha quite until he switched sides. Got forward well.
Propper - 6 - Some decent tackles, but lacked anything going forward.
Bissouma - 7 - Our brightest player. Always looked to take the ball forwards.
March - 4 - Almost gifted them a goal, missed a sitter due to not having a right foot.
Mooy - 5.5 - Took the ball on the half turn well, but lacked final ball.
Trossard - 6 - Created the best chance of the game, but a long way from his best
Maupay - 6.5 - He played well enough, caused them plenty of problems, but should've scored.

Murray - 5 - He's costing us more than he gives us in this team
Ali J - 6 - Looked threatening, probably has the best delivery in our squad.
Alzate - 5.5 - Linked up with Ali well

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

Or as most of us witnessed on Saturday Mooy was just too slow in possession and releasing the ball. Since he got the contract it's sods law that his form has dipped and he always looks like he's going to be dispossessed.

Most people find statistics interesting and true if they confirm what they already believe and not interesting and false if they dont.

I wouldnt have him in any "PL Team of the Week" but he was no worse than anyone else. Always looks like he's going to be dispossessed - maybe, but still happened to him less times (4) than March, Bissouma and Montoya and I dont see them bathing in shit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Hear what you are saying but Mooy is so off-form IMO he doesn’t warrant a starting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hear what you are saying but Mooy is so off-form IMO he doesn’t warrant a starting place.

I agree, it's a combination of a lack of form and also being marked out of games - on a couple of occasions on Saturday he had 2 or 3 players around him - even the best would struggle with that. He didn't get much support, or couldn't find that support (delete as applicable).
He does need a rest though. At the very least Gross to come back in, or give Mac a chance.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree, it's a combination of a lack of form and also being marked out of games - on a couple of occasions on Saturday he had 2 or 3 players around him - even the best would struggle with that. He didn't get much support, or couldn't find that support (delete as applicable).
He does need a rest though. At the very least Gross to come back in, or give Mac a chance.

Yes we do seem to play better with Gross.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan 5 - fine with the ball, made one save, but didn’t really command his box or make the crucial save
Montoya 5 - coped okay with the players he faced until he got booked. Offered nothing offensively, particularly first 20 when played as a WB
Webster 6.5 - had a decent game but got undone for their goal.
Dunk 7 - played well with and without the ball
Burn 7 - defended well and tried to get forward when possible
Propper 7.5 - our best player yet again
Bissouma 6.5 - jumped from excellent to rubbish with regularity
Mooy 4 - one of our poorer performers.
March 5 - often the most dangerous, but ultimately cost us with a horrific miss
Trossard 4 - very disappointing. Lacked creativity throughout
Maupay 4 - made the wrong decision time and time again, and missed crucial chances that should’ve been easy for a Premier League striker. Hard work is great, quality is better. He seems to be lacking the latter

Subs
Murray 5 - just not really in the game. The subs didn’t help as they stopped the potential supply to him
Ali J 6 - looked potentially dangerous without being
Alzate 5 - not enough time to affect the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here