Player hunt on hold

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Are you denying any of those are true? ???

I'm not saying there isn't truth in them but I personally think the final decision will always come down to the manager. Also the point is these players came here.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Les Biehn said:
Can I just say before this all goes off on a massive tangent, MM has played some part at least in attracting or finding players. OK Dodd may not have been a success but we were all very pleased we had got him when he came. MM for me is no worse or better than most managers at bringing in players, especially given our situation. I think it is fair to say he hasn't got the best reputation but then neither has Alex Ferguson but he seems to attract world class talent.

I think MM is very poor at developing players, I make no bones about this, and once again I believe this will improve with the promtion of Wilkins. His judgement is not always great (Nicolas) but I don't think there are to many great managers out there, certainly none that will come to us. Peoples views are tainted by the fact that we were very fortunate to get Adams and Coppell. Would you rather have Hinshewood or Booker as Manager?

Our situation has been used to death as an excuse. There are so many other managers who are in much worse positions than MM is in and still perform better than him in the transfer market, e.g. DJ Campbell and Martin Alllen at Brentford.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Oh, I have my opinions on Mark McGhee and he's not exactly 10/10, but I won't come on here and make accusation about him for which there is little evidence or are simply made up. And for the 88th time, I have not slagged the club off. f***ing deal with it. Plain English pass you by doesn't it?

And if you're pissed off that's your problem and your fault, not mine.

FFS, you compared us unfavourably to Yeovil!... how is that not slagging the club off?... it was nice to see you admitted the error of your ways on that one... :)

I'm also glad you can see MM is not 10/10... :)

Do you admit Coppell and Adams performed better in the transfer market than MM?... nearly there now... beginning to see sense... perhaps it is the evidence that is staring you in the face!... :)

Oh, and my English is fine, but thank you for your concern...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
paddy said:
Our situation has been used to death as an excuse. There are so many other managers who are in much worse positions than MM is in and still perform better than him in the transfer market, e.g. DJ Campbell and Martin Alllen at Brentford.

One example.

Ok put it this way, imagine a club had been fighting above their weight on nearly no money and had just got relegated to the division we are in. We have had Zamora for a year and he is banging them in. This clubs fans are going mad at the manager because he hasn't found a Zamora despite the fact the manager got them up and kept them up for two seasons against all the odds. Most Brighton fans would turn round to that club and say how can you expect to just pull transfers like Zamora out the bag, he was a one off. Plus your manager just gave you 2 season in the division above so stop f***ing moaning.

But this is currently what our fans are expecting of our manager despite being in the other clubs position.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Les Biehn said:
One example.

Ok put it this way, imagine a club had been fighting above their weight on nearly no money and had just got relegated to the division we are in. We have had Zamora for a year and he is banging them in. This clubs fans are going mad at the manager because he hasn't found a Zamora despite the fact the manager got them up and kept them up for two seasons against all the odds. Most Brighton fans would turn round to that club and say how can you expect to just pull transfers like Zamora out the bag, he was a one off. Plus your manager just gave you 2 season in the division above so stop f***ing moaning.

But this is currently what our fans are expecting of our manager despite being in the other clubs position.

We're not asking for a Zamora, just a player equivalent to the level which other clubs are signing - so we have a chance in this division.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Les Biehn said:
Can I just say before this all goes off on a massive tangent, MM has played some part at least in attracting or finding players. OK Dodd may not have been a success but we were all very pleased we had got him when he came. MM for me is no worse or better than most managers at bringing in players, especially given our situation. I think it is fair to say he hasn't got the best reputation but then neither has Alex Ferguson but he seems to attract world class talent.

I think MM is very poor at developing players, I make no bones about this, and once again I believe this will improve with the promtion of Wilkins. His judgement is not always great (Nicolas) but I don't think there are to many great managers out there, certainly none that will come to us. Peoples views are tainted by the fact that we were very fortunate to get Adams and Coppell. Would you rather have Hinshewood or Booker as Manager?

Fair point... I would rather have MM than Tinselhead or Booker, but I KNOW we can do better... and Adams, Coppell and Taylor prove that is the case, IMHO...

All credit to McGhee for keeping us in the 2004-05 season. But last season was a disaster and McGhee was one of the main reasons. He had more resources than any other manager since we have been at Withdean and they weren't used well.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
paddy said:

Another great point well made... but you won't convince the blinkered TLO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Les Biehn said:
One example.

I can't agree with that... we are moaning because we believe the manager is failing to make ANY signings of note... this despite the fact that for over a season HE HIMSELF has identified the key player we are missing (target man)... and this in a situation where other managers at the club have succeeded...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
FFS, you compared us unfavourably to Yeovil!... how is that not slagging the club off?... it was nice to see you admitted the error of your ways on that one... :)

I'm also glad you can see MM is not 10/10... :)

Do you admit Coppell and Adams performed better in the transfer market than MM?... nearly there now... beginning to see sense... perhaps it is the evidence that is staring you in the face!... :)

Oh, and my English is fine, but thank you for your concern...
I never said McGhee was great. You just assumed I did.

Regarding Coppell, Adams and McGhee, you are not comparing like with like.

As I said, it was far easer for Micky to attract players to what was considered a club on the up, with a new (albeit temporary) stadiu, which was not the worst in that division. Adams spent around £250,000 on players and did very well to get out of that division. The core of that playing squad did the same the following season, but went down the season after that. And he bought some shocking donkeys. So Adams' transfers are only to be judged favourably for the bottom divisions.

Coppell made some good signings, and some ropey ones, and when in a position to keep us up, he failed. That's harsh, bearing in mind the handicap he was given to start with, but it was still within him to do it.

Though I haven't checked every single fact, I would suspect that with each manager, each good signing was equally matched by a poor one. Many people choose to interpret the quality of those signings to suit a pre-judged argument over each manager.

So, in direct answer to your question - no, in comparative terms, McGhee has done no better or worse than Coppell or Adams, given the situations each has had to work in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
Another great point well made... but you won't convince the blinkered TLO...
f***ing hell, you're getting worse. Blinkered is one thing I am not. How can you accuse me of being blinkered when one of your main points on this thread is 'McGhee is the reason why players don't come here'? Talk about a ill-thought out summation.

I never see the argument as black and white as 'McGhee in' or 'McGhee out'. I consider the options, come to a conclusion and justify taking into account as many variables as I can see open. If, after consdiering everything, I know for a fact that McGhee is the reason players don't come here, then I will agree with your assertion.

Until then, you need to consider your words very carefully before slap-dashedly banding them about. It makes for a poor quality of debate otherwise.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Southover Street Seagull said:
All credit to McGhee for keeping us in the 2004-05 season. But last season was a disaster and McGhee was one of the main reasons. He had more resources than any other manager since we have been at Withdean and they weren't used well.
You made that point earlier, but it still holds little water.

As I said, he may well have had more resources than anyone else since we moved to Withdean, but that doesn't automatically follow that it was enough in comparison to everyone else in this division.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:
f***ing hell, you're getting worse. Blinkered is one thing I am not. How can you accuse me of being blinkered when one of your main points on this thread is 'McGhee is the reason why players don't come here'? Talk about a ill-thought out summation.

I never see the argument as black and white as 'McGhee in' or 'McGhee out'. I consider the options, come to a conclusion and justify taking into account as many variables as I can see open. If, after consdiering everything, I know for a fact that McGhee is the reason players don't come here, then I will agree with your assertion.

Until then, you need to consider your words very carefully before slap-dashedly banding them about. It makes for a poor quality of debate otherwise.

What other possible reasons are there? Don't use the same old argument about our facilities because there are teams with much worse facilities than us who still manage to sign players. Also, the financial situation clearly has no substance. The club were prepared to pay a sizeable transfer fee for Dichio and match his wage demands. All the financial terms had been aggreed with Dichio and the club and then he pulled out, why?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
paddy said:
What other possible reasons are there? Don't use the same old argument about our facilities because there are teams with much worse facilities than us who still manage to sign players. Also, the financial situation clearly has no substance. The club were prepared to pay a sizeable transfer fee for Dichio and match his wage demands. All the financial terms had been aggreed with Dichio and the club and then he pulled out, why?
Are you accusing Dichio of lying when he says he'd rather fight for his place where he was? Even if it wasn't the whole truth, there's quite a leap between that and coming up with the assertion that McGhee is purely to blame. There could be 101 other reasons, including the one Dichio gave. You don't know, and nor do I, but then I'm not accusing Mark McGhee of being the obstacle.

The 'financial situation' has plenty of substance. The fact you think it's a tired and hackneyed excuse doesn't reduce its validity. A five-figure sum buys you f*** all nowadays. Or maybe an old journeyman pro with his future behind him. It's true, I'm sick of using our situation as an excuse, but unfortunately, it largely rings true.

I suppose the only way you can look at it is to try and look at all the transfers made so far by clubs in our divison this season and see what their facilties are like compared to ours.
I think you will find that barring Forest, Bristol City, Swansea and Huddersfield at the moment all the other clubs don't have that much better facilties than we do.

The Large One said:
You made that point earlier, but it still holds little water.

As I said, he may well have had more resources than anyone else since we moved to Withdean, but that doesn't automatically follow that it was enough in comparison to everyone else in this division.

Well it was enough the previous season and he spent less then!!
It was also nearly enough for Coppell. I beleive if Coppell had been appointed at the start of that season we would have stayed up.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not overly concerned about the lack of signings.

We've got plenty of trialists down here and the squad is okay as it is.

Granted we could do with a few additions but we're not in crisis.

The left back looks decent and hopefully if we sign him that'll improve us.

I'm not convinced Brittain will get offered anything in the Championship and reckon we still have a chance of getting him in. Even if we don't Harty and Reid are decent enough.

Up front. Revell, CKR, Jake, Gatting. It's okay. It would be nice to get a proven striker in but I don't think we're desperate and we shouldn't sign someone for the sake of it. If we can get someone to improve the squad, we will. So enjoy the sun and have a cold beer. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports