Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play Off Final Plastics.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm guessing that the people on here who don't 'get' The Major are the same ones who don't 'get' Ernest. Why do people ever take things at face value/literally/seriously on NSC? Lighten up.

Twas a genuine question - when was the last Championship final contested between two clubs with such low average attendance home fans ?

I know Blackpool have been in there a few times but I think they played Cardiff and then West Ham.

It is usually a very hot day so we could see a "plastic" meltdown :lolol:

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
They are there. We aren't. So therefore I have no interest. All bragging rights about everything are now with Palace so threads like this are pointless.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I really do find this obsession with "plastics" really quite nauseating.

When I were but a boy, we called them "butterflies" a far more charming reference for people who would come out on the sunny days, but would be nowhere to be seen on the gloomy, dark days. Yes, it was a distinction, but I never felt it was a big criticism, it's just the facts of life isn't it, and a perfectly natural one. Of course the glorious days, the high profile games draw a bigger crowd, where is the surprise in that?

Don't we all do it? Wouldn't we all just dismiss the cricticism as a nosense if someone threw it at us in different circumstances. I was at Lords last Thursday, and no-one turned on me as a "plastic" due to my lack of attendance at County games, or at a concert at the O2, no-one criticises me for not being at that bands gigs when they were doing rough clubs around the country.

At the end of the day, big games pull bigger crowds than average, just like the following we had to Wembley in 1991. It happens, don't see the problem.

I could not have put it better.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Attendances?

And what are you doing next Monday, nobby? Mowing the lawn so your mum can give you pocket money for a new calculator?

Who cares about plastics or not, I prefer to call them 'supporters', and that goes for the Albion pulling in a mightily impressive 30k. I've got friends coming in from Spain and Sweden for the final - we started going together in the 80s. Regulars these days at Selhurst - no. Plastics - certainly not.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Has there ever been a Championship Play off final contested between two poorly supported clubs than Watford vs Palace ?

Watford average about 11k "home" fans and Palace 15k . That means about 65k watching at Wembley will have hardly ever set foot in Vicarage Road or the Grim Groupon.

Watch out for those banners.:lolol:

2-0

Don Goodman, live on Sky mocked your plastic support leaving early, the whole nation heard him then watched on as we lauded it up on your own pitch. 7000 to 30,000 in no time, no one does plastic like BHAFC :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jimmy boy 69

Nov 24, 2012
Brighton
Do you want me to link the video of the Brighton/Chelsea fan? Or put up the picture of the Celtic/Leeds/Brighton fan's letter to The Argus? Or maybe the image of Brighton fans clapping Gerrard, or wearing a Liverpool rucksack? We may have less through the gates, but at least they are real fans. And, yes, there are around 15k more coming to Wembley - this happens to every team. It would have happened to Brighton too, but 'Winifred' stopped that from happening. Enjoy watching us on Monday, I know you will be as you can't stop following Palace. In fact, they may even be your second team.

Wonder who your second team is!?!?!?

2-0

Don Goodman, live on Sky mocked your plastic support leaving earlier, the whole nation heard him then watched on as we lauded it up on your own pitch. 7000 to 30,000 in no time, no one does plastic like BHAFC :rolleyes:

I beg to differ.

1979 Palace v Burnley Att: 51,700
1984 Palace v Wimbledon Att: 4,005

Four and a half years and just one relegation in that time, and the gate drops by 47,700.

No one does plastic like Palace.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I beg to differ.

1979 Palace v Burnley Att: 51,700
1984 Palace v Wimbledon Att: 4,005

Four and a half years and just one relegation in that time, and the gate drops by 47,700.

No one does plastic like Palace.

Many fans were staying away to protest the Mullery appointment.

No, that is a myth perpetuated by BBS in order to counter these figures, I know quite a few old school Palace and they have never mentioned this so called boycott.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Has there ever been a Championship Play off final contested between two poorly supported clubs than Watford vs Palace ?

Watford average about 11k "home" fans and Palace 15k . That means about 65k watching at Wembley will have hardly ever set foot in Vicarage Road or the Grim Groupon.

Watch out for those banners.:lolol:
:facepalm:

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012

To be fair that is true. I remember Palace getting regular crowds over 30,000 and even 40,000 the season after that Burnley game. It was when the chairman screwed them over then appointed Mullery the fans left in their droves. Well done agent Mullery :)

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
No, that is a myth perpetuated by BBS in order to counter these figures, I know quite a few old school Palace and they have never mentioned this so called boycott.

I can assure you it's not. Still, believe what you want if it makes you feel better about last Monday :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here