Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Quite right. Every single one of 80 million-odd people within a certain border conforms with a stereotype which should render events like this impossible. They're in no way a bunch of individual human beings, potentially susceptible to the same mental fragility or perhaps bad influences as other person in any other country.

It's taken one man to do this. If you wanted to look at suicide rates amongst European countries you would find German higher in the list than us........ I think they are about 20th but none of that matters of course. One man, severely troubled if reports are to be believed or just plain evil. I know which one I would think more plausible.
We'll find out in the course of time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did see something reported, that an 'incident' with the co-pilot was reported on the outbound flight, but no action taken.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't understand how anyone could do this, if he was suicidal why not throw yourself out of a tall building, which would have resulted in the same result, instead of taking another 150 people with him, many were children and he would have known that.

I guess a rational person can not understand what goes through the mind of someone who takes this sort of action.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
this is the country of Werther, after all

I never knew that

Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada.png

Explains a lot though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think anyone would ever thought this possible,a German alway so organised,cool,etc.

No. More the actions of a crazed suicide nutter, like all them Muslims.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just looking at the news with his smiling picture by the bridge, maybe it would have been better for everyone involved if he had decided to jump from it there and then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup. You can be sure that if he is a Muslim that this will be in the headlines in the papers, otherwise his ethnicity/religious affiliations will not be mentioned. eg: "Muslim Co-Pilot deliberately crashed plane into Alps", rather than "Co-Pilot deliberately crashed plane into Alps".
Yes, that's what I'd expect. It makes sense to me. There are larger numbers of Muslim terrorists murdering people around the world at the moment than any other terrorists, and Islam is a minority religion in Germany, so it would make sense to report if the pilot was a Muslim, as there's a reasonable chance that the crime (assuming this was a deliberate act) was due to religious beliefs. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Pilot was a Christian, but if they were, it would be unlikely that the crime was committed due to religious beliefs.

MoH, i was and are not wishing to appear flippant but the German character has always appeared as a strong and posistive one to me,sure you can never include everyone,but surely has this news not even taken you by surprise ?
I was saddened when I heard of the incident. When I heard that the pilots were German I was not surprised (or unsurprised) .

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
As I understand,the flight voice recorder is the only black box so far recovered.The flight data is still missing.On the news it was stated that the co-pilot altered the planes altitude settings from 38000 feet down to 100 feet.
How can they tell that from from a voice recorder?
Have to say that Lufthansas top brass looked as though they could not believe it too!
From statements yesterday stating that the flight voice recorder had some audio on it and today giving a blow by blow account of the co-pilots actions is a great job well done by the French.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As I understand,the flight voice recorder is the only black box so far recovered.The flight data is still missing.On the news it was stated that the co-pilot altered the planes altitude settings from 38000 feet down to 100 feet.
Have to say that Lufthansas top brass looked as though they could not believe it too!
From statements yesterday stating that the flight voice recorder had some audio on it and today giving a blow by blow account of the co-pilots actions is a great job well done by the French.

If you think about it it's far too early actually to say what happened. Investigations into things like this take months, and many unexpected things can come up. The Co-Pilot has been found guilty of mass murder in the media, and to be fair I don't think we know enough to say that for sure at this point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

They followed the flight on flight radar, and could see the altitude for themselves. They tried to contact the plane, but the co-pilot refused to answer them. Somebody pointed out that the USA were making statements before all of this came out, so the air traffic control must have had suspicions right from the start of the eight minutes. They probably thought it was terrorism until the voice recorder showed it was the co-pilot and not a passenger.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Suicide.

Still finding this funny?

It's not remotely funny, and at no point have I stated it to be so. But on the basis that you're hardly renowned on here for your sensitive approach to human tragedies, I'll take your advice and politely ignore it. Thanks anyway.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The German newspaper Das Bild is saying that the co-pilot spend 18 months receiving psychiatric treatment, and had to repeat flying classes several times due to depression. Lufthansa has not commented.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here