Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It's not remotely funny, and at no point have I stated it to be so. But on the basis that you're hardly renowned on here for your sensitive approach to human tragedies, I'll take your advice and politely ignore it. Thanks anyway.

Show some respect and stop with the antagonism. Shit stirring has no place for a thread like this.

You should be ashamed. There should be no excuse for your actions, especially as you're a Mod.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was talking to the wife about this.

She has a very good friend who is suffering horrendously from depression. To say she is living is stretching the definition a bit. She is on so many pills and she OD 's on them so many times that the doctor won't give her any more than three days at a time so she has to walk down to the doctors to see them. Her arms and legs are covered in cuts where she has self harmed.

She was a lovely woman who had a tragedy in her life that must have flicked a switch in her brain and now she is a shell of the person she was.

She talks about suicide in a matter of fact way and we are sure she has tried on numerous occasions. On one visit, my wife was talking to her about her feelings at her lowest and sh said that she doesn't know anyone or anything and is totally singleminded in her actions. She says when asked about the family she would leave behind, she say " they will be ok without me here" which is a terrible thing to think.

We don't know what went through the mind of this guy, but if she is anything to go by, he would not have had the first thought about anyone on that plane when his depression stepped in as his single minded action was to kill himself and he was in the perfect position to do this.

It is terribly sad all round.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wow, just wow. There are some regular cocks on NSC but I think you've managed to surpass them all.

Referring to someone with a mental illness as a 'nut job' is merely crass, dumb and insensitive.
I don't think that's fair. Yes, it's rude and ignorant to call people nut jobs, but I think it's understandable that people use insensitive terms to describe someone who has just murdered about 150 people.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think that's fair. Yes, it's rude and ignorant to call people nut jobs, but I think it's understandable that people use insensitive terms to describe someone who has just murdered about 150 people.

Fair enough

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Tragic for those murdered and their families. Depression is desperately sad for all concerned..Can we think of the Co pilots family and parents..I imagine a lot of us know someone who has taken their own life...A way out for the sufferer but awfull for those left behind who often feel they are somehow partly to blame.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Also, I think EP replied to the wrong person. SiJ only described the term as "understandable".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

She has a very good friend who is suffering horrendously from depression. To say she is living is stretching the definition a bit. She is on so many pills and she OD 's on them so many times that the doctor won't give her any more than three days at a time so she has to walk down to the doctors to see them. Her arms and legs are covered in cuts where she has self harmed.

She was a lovely woman who had a tragedy in her life that must have flicked a switch in her brain and now she is a shell of the person she was.

She talks about suicide in a matter of fact way and we are sure she has tried on numerous occasions. On one visit, my wife was talking to her about her feelings at her lowest and sh said that she doesn't know anyone or anything and is totally singleminded in her actions. She says when asked about the family she would leave behind, she say " they will be ok without me here" which is a terrible thing to think.

Poor woman, if only someone could just bring her back from the brink, it's such a horrible ilness.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also, I think EP replied to the wrong person. SiJ only described the term as "understandable".
Oh yes, didn't spot that.

It was El Pres saying "There are some regular cocks on NSC but I think you've managed to surpass them all" that I found a bit extreme, as the competition is so high.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We don't know what went through the mind of this guy, but if she is anything to go by, he would not have had the first thought about anyone on that plane when his depression stepped in as his single minded action was to kill himself and he was in the perfect position to do this.

Too close to home for me on a number of levels. I don't like the 'murder' allegations being bandied about either - although can understand the reaction and strength of feeling. It's just desperate for everyone concerned. So sad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can somebody explain why the investigation is being carried out by the French Prosecution service not an independent aviation enquiry team.

I'd imagine that because it was in French airspace, that it's classed as French territory. And as it's now being treated as murder, the prosecution service will be involved.

One aspect of this is that if it can be shown that anyone had any foreknowledge of this guy's intention to crash the plane, then they could be prosecuted under French law as there's the facility to charge someone for not having taken action. Only speculation of course, but if (and I realise that's a big 'if') he'd revealed any such intention to a doctor, then that could open up a bit of a legal battle

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The fact his picture has the "Golden Gate" bridge in the background is a bit spooky. I knew I recognised it and it's from a documentry I watched on Netflix about a suicide spot in America called "The Bridge" (Sadly a similar chosen spot for suicide as Beachy head is here in the UK) May just be coincidence but just found it a bit creepy as he is in almost the same spot as where one of the jumpers on the documentry took some of his last pictures from.
7b7d134a-00e8-4b65-a65b-ea90f16f6016-620x372.jpeg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept it is now a murder investigation but it wasnt when the French started their investigation. I would have expected an independent investigation initially then handed over to the prosecutors when there was talk of possible murder. I think this was a case of the egg before the chicken.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Mind's response to today's front pages on the Germanwings plane crash:

The terrible loss of life in the Germanwings plane crash is tragic, and we send our deepest sympathies to the families. Whilst the full facts are still emerging, there has been widespread media reporting speculating about the link with the pilot’s history of depression, which has been overly simplistic.

Clearly assessment of all pilots’ physical and mental health is entirely appropriate - but assumptions about risk shouldn't be made across the board for people with depression, or any other illness. There will be pilots with experience of depression who have flown safely for decades, and assessments should be made on a case by case basis.

Today’s headlines risk adding to the stigma surrounding mental health problems, which millions of people experience each year, and we would encourage the media to report this issue responsibly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Show some respect and stop with the antagonism. Shit stirring has no place for a thread like this.

You should be ashamed. There should be no excuse for your actions, especially as you're a Mod.

Coming from you? Please.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I accept it is now a murder investigation but it wasnt when the French started their investigation. I would have expected an independent investigation initially then handed over to the prosecutors when there was talk of possible murder. I think this was a case of the egg before the chicken.

Barcelona knew there was a problem on the plane before it crashed as they could hear what was going on.
They couldn't reveal it to the world's press until the voice recorder had been found, to confirm what they'd heard.
On Radio 2, I heard one person say the French had launched two Mirage planes, but they couldn't help in this scenario.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barcelona knew there was a problem on the plane before it crashed as they could hear what was going on.

Exactly, the fact that they said there were no survivors pretty well immediately would point to them knowing exactly what had happened very early on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oh yes, didn't spot that.

It was El Pres saying "There are some regular cocks on NSC but I think you've managed to surpass them all" that I found a bit extreme, as the competition is so high.

It is an impressive achievement, but to claim that the tragedy was in some way due to PC liberalism and the EU took the biscuit. It wasn't for the 'nutjob' remark, that was just thoughtless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here