Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plane crash at Shoreham - avoid A259

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just been past on the train, lots of emergency service people on the rec and something that looked like burnt out wreckage, not much off it though. Very sad.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
couple of hundred yards from my house. Kin ell.:eek: Very sad though for all involved.

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach

Scary stuff indeed. The propeller shown on the beach is about 80 metres from my back garden where my daughter was playing. There were a number of people on the beach and it must have been absolutely terrifying watching that fall to earth. More debris fell into the play park on Beach Green and a large chunk fell on the slip road beside it. At half four on a sunny afternoon that park would have been packed. I'm very sad for the pilot but i'm extremely thankful that no-one else appears to have been hurt.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Very sad, and not the first incident close to the airport either.

In the late '70s a light plane hit one of the old power station chimneys in fog and crashed next to the A259 at Southwick, killing both onboard. Plus the Hurricane that crashed a few years ago. Guess there is always going to be a bit of a risk living near a busy airfield.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Two more recent crashes. On light aircraft parked on a house in West Street, Shoreham and another one landed on Lancing Beach. Last ten years?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not forgetting the glider that crashed at last year's airshow whilst trying to land.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not forgetting the glider that crashed at last year's airshow whilst trying to land.

Plus the plane that crashed at the air show about 4 years ago. Then there was that politician killed just after take off about '83 or so - can't remember his name, but he was well known at the time.

Bound to happen occassionally really, but how two planes can hit in mid-air these days is a mystery.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Mid air thing seems a bit sensationalist, IF 2 planes were involved, likely 1 was in troubles and the other had to manouver out of the way, also possibly grounding itself. Certainly 1 plane has crashed on the rec regardless

They hit in mid air.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very sad, and not the first incident close to the airport either.

In the late '70s a light plane hit one of the old power station chimneys in fog and crashed next to the A259 at Southwick, killing both onboard. Plus the Hurricane that crashed a few years ago. Guess there is always going to be a bit of a risk living near a busy airfield.

Plus, without wishing to sound too glib, the prospect of the Albion's new training centre in pretty much the next field.

From what I've read one plane was crossing the extended centreline of the runway and the other plane was just climbing after take off. I believe Shoreham is an information service only, not ATC, so the pilot taking off is required to make sure that it is safe to do so. However the aircraft crossing the extended centreline shouldn't have been there really, at least not without letting Shoreham tower know.

Actually checking again it looks to be advisory only before 9.30 am after then it is ATC so both pilots should have been under tower control. I suppose when the AAIB report comes out we'll find out what actually happened.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
In posting my sadness about this incident (and others in the vicinity) it did occur to me about the proximity of our proposed training complex.

I guess one factor why a 'commercial' development like ours is suited to the Lancing site is having other commercial sites and the airport close by. It is hardly an area of outstanding natural beauty although could be a lot worse IMHO especially if the golf course goes ahead too. Of course I am assuming that some nimby action group dont find a rare species of newt or bat.

The airport will be handy for visitors to the training complex who arrive by plane or chopper. Finally it would make sense to have capacity for a big park and ride for the Amex - as it is well placed for the A27/A259/A24 etc. Is this all part of the cunning masterplan to gain approval for increased capacity at the Amex?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Scary stuff indeed. The propeller shown on the beach is about 80 metres from my back garden where my daughter was playing. There were a number of people on the beach and it must have been absolutely terrifying watching that fall to earth. More debris fell into the play park on Beach Green and a large chunk fell on the slip road beside it. At half four on a sunny afternoon that park would have been packed. I'm very sad for the pilot but i'm extremely thankful that no-one else appears to have been hurt.

I was in that very park with my kids exactly 24 hours before the accident

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
From what I've read one plane was crossing the extended centreline of the runway and the other plane was just climbing after take off. I believe Shoreham is an information service only, not ATC, so the pilot taking off is required to make sure that it is safe to do so. However the aircraft crossing the extended centreline shouldn't have been there really, at least not without letting Shoreham tower know.

Surely if this was the case, both planes would have been very close to the airport - if not still within its boundaries, not scattering debris along the beach.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stupid Drivers

Surely if this was the case, both planes would have been very close to the airport - if not still within its boundaries, not scattering debris along the beach.

From what I gather, small plane drivers are a bit like car drivers, liable to do silly things like not cleaning the oil filters, not putting enough fuel in the tanks, losing their way in bad weather etc.

Depends on the runway in use. When I am flying from Wycombe I leave the airfield boundary before I get to 400 feet up. Both aircraft were low wing so if one were climbing beneath the other and the climbing pilot were not full aware of the other craft were, for example, coming from behind they would not see each other and BANG.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here