Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Places in songs that you had a romantic view of before you saw the place in the flesh

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Dublin. It was just like visiting a bog standard northern town. I could have gone to Preston or Bolton and saved my money as it was also hideously expensive to eat and drink.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Going against the grain of virtually everyone I know who has been there I was seriously underwhelmed by New YorkPick any one of a multitude of songs about there

I've been 3 times, and the first 2 visits, I loved it, Greenwich Village especially; I thought I'd found my spiritual home!

The 3rd time, though, about 5 years ago, it had changed. Hard to put my finger on how or why, but me and Mrs Peteinblack reckon that the artists, musicians and bohemian or creative types who once colonised Greenwich Village, along with the 2nd hand clothes/record/book shops, had all been priced-out by the astronomical property prices and rents. It's now full of real-estate dealers, corporate lawyers and 'posh' restaurants, and now has no soul or character left.

Now, we much prefer New Orleans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've been 3 times, and the first 2 visits, I loved it, Greenwich Village especially; I thought I'd found my spiritual home!

The 3rd time, though, about 5 years ago, it had changed. Hard to put my finger on how or why, but me and Mrs Peteinblack reckon that the artists, musicians and bohemian or creative types who once colonised Greenwich Village, along with the 2nd hand clothes/record/book shops, had all been priced-out by the astronomical property prices and rents. It's now full of real-estate dealers, corporate lawyers and 'posh' restaurants, and now has no soul or character left.

Now, we much prefer New Orleans.

I need to get myself to New Orleans, nearly went two years ago but ended up in Cascais instead :shrug:

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Route 66

I made a (very short!) detour to drive the road of my dreams when I was in Amarillo. The road quality was more third world than the roads in Worthing, although not that obvious in this photo

View attachment 135594

I went to Amarillo to see a friend in 2001 whilst travelling. It was July, it was very hot and almost impossible to walk anywhere - you had to get in the car and drive to the supermarket which was about 300 yards away (I tried once but had to climb over a central reservation and nearly got run over).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Winslow, Arizona.

There's f**k all there apart from an Eagles gift shop.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Copacabana for me. It was full of slender good looking ladies and lots of blokes tripping over their tongues, and some cad stole my shirt whilst I was sunbathing.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Blue Ridged Moutains of Virginia.

Not blue. Pretty repetitive. Full of red necks and the food was lousy. Drove the whole length of it then fortunately ended up in Anapolis on the coast. No songs I know about that, but it was fantastic.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Tipperary. Nothing of any interest.
The town is a damp, grey street full of nothingness, however, turn right at the traffic lights in the middle of town and 5 minutes away is the Glen of Aherlow which I never grew bored of on my daily commute to work.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If there's a song that mentions Monaco, then that.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I went 'Walking in Memphis' once, I quickly decided it was an absolute tip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here