Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Placeism" in humour should it be banned?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good point. For a laugh tell me which records the following towns or local places are mentioned in:

1) Eastbourne
2) Bexhill (by the same artist)
3) Camber Sands

All these recorrd got into the charts at the time.

prize fr anyone who can find a sung reference to Seaford.

Camber Sands was in Pulling Mussels From A Shell by the wonderful Squeeze.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On the one hand I find it a little tiresome that every reference to Brighton in the media seems to be linked with homosexuality. On the other hand I like taking the piss out of other places in Britain too, so you've got to take the rough with the smooth.

That said, I think that those who work in the media should realise that it isn't just Brighton that has gay people. Whenever reality TV programmes try an be all-inclusive and PC by featuring gay people why do they always live in/around Brighton, or be looking to move to Brighton? This is especially true of all these property programmes on Channel 4. Maybe it's because Phil Spencer is addicted to the innuendo and the opportunity this affords?

I don't mind the media (those *******s) going on about our large gay population - which is a fact - but I do dislike pieces such as the one in last weekend's Sunday Times Style section (I know, the ST having a Style magazine, you couldn't make it up) about the proliferation of new internet/coding/online businesses and the whole Silicon Beach thing which seemed to suggest that Brighton & Hove is one of the smallest cities in the country and really just a small town. That's simply incorrect (19th-largest according to the UK Cities website, bigger than Southampton, Derby, Oxford, Cambridge, Stoke, Hull, Plymouth, #twats etc)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't find Amos particularly funny but it was a harmless enough gag. Strangely I sensed it might make NSC.
A lot of English humour is about places whether it's Bognor Regis, Wigan or Hartlepool.
The Scots, Irish and Americans sing songs about their towns and cities; English people joke about theirs. Discuss.

i have never ever heard a joke about bognor wigan or hartlepool.

Good point. For a laugh tell me which records the following towns or local places are mentioned in:

1) Eastbourne
2) Bexhill (by the same artist)
3) Camber Sands

All these recorrd got into the charts at the time.

prize fr anyone who can find a sung reference to Seaford.

3) Is "Pulling Mussels From A Shell" by Squeeze - not a clue on the other two.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Years ago it was an Army town but I know what you mean, if it's the town you were born and brought up in it's your "hometown" and criticism of it is sometimes not appreciated.Mine is Croydon......

I'm so sorry, that's definately nothing to laugh about! :rolleyes:

Well my education there definitely taught me to spell...and it has some really cheap places to eat. Especially in George street.

Don't wear Albion colours in "The George" though...:lolol:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Spot on.

The BBC execs probably thought they were doing the right on thing in their avowed quest for more gay, BME and female comedians.

Yup the redoubtable Susan Calman was on yet another R4 quiz show a couple of nights ago, with the perennial German funny-man Henning Veen. I bet he's a star on the Ku-damm in Berlin.

Seriously I bet no-one in Germany has ever heard of him. He just is willing to trade "Nazi" jokes sadly, that must be off limits east of the Rhine.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
George V was reputed to have issued the immortal curse "B*gger Bognor" jut before he died, apparently he had visited Bognor REGIS shortly before his last illness.

Hence Regis. I thought on his deathbed the queen was trying to keep his spirits up by suggesting a trip to Bognor, to which he replied bugger Bognor.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Hence Regis. I thought on his deathbed the queen was trying to keep his spirits up by suggesting a trip to Bognor, to which he replied bugger Bognor.

Probably quite a few queens since then have suggested B*ggering Brighton... is that good enough for Stephen K?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here