Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PL looking abroad again

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It'll happen, the revenues would be too much to say no to,

will they? the revenue from one game over in far east is unlikely to attract the same match day revenue as that same game here, considering lower ticket prices for the local markets. outside the top half, i can see losing alot of revenue for the likes of Palace vs Hull in Malaysia.

as for

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Palace playing a home game in a stadium that isn't a wooden shack well past its best by date, novel.

If the proposal does get the green light, I could see this moving quickly to 2 round of matches, so that every PL team loses a home fixture.

Dec 29, 2011
Said it before and I'll say it again.

I wish the MASSIVE teams (Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Leeds and Pompey) would hurry up and join their European Superleague and leave football to the rest of us mere mortals.

I don't think this will happen though because the teams are so deep rooted into the community. The fans wouldn't let it happen, and the board would be persuaded eventually that it's a bad idea.

What I can see happening though, is a world league. Twenty completely new teams created by billionaires, the teams of which have a very loose connection to a certain area or country, but are not really supported only by people from that area. The teams will be filled with all the worlds best players.. Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Tevez etc and the matches are played in a different location every week.

With names like the ones above and money driving the advertising, it wouldn't take long for masses to start supporting one team or another. Just look at Man City, they've gone to a global brand in about a decade. If 20 teams all pulled together to buy players and advertise, they could get hundreds of millions of followers in a few years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I can see happening though, is a world league. Twenty completely new teams created by billionaires, the teams of which have a very loose connection to a certain area or country, but are not really supported only by people from that area. The teams will be filled with all the worlds best players.. Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Tevez etc and the matches are played in a different location every week.

What's happened in cricket with the IPL, in other words?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think this will happen though because the teams are so deep rooted into the community. The fans wouldn't let it happen, and the board would be persuaded eventually that it's a bad idea.

With names like the ones above and money driving the advertising, it wouldn't take long for masses to start supporting one team or another. Just look at Man City, they've gone to a global brand in about a decade. If 20 teams all pulled together to buy players and advertise, they could get hundreds of millions of followers in a few years.

I'd be happy with that too to be honest.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thought about hosting the Champions League abroad. As seen in the US, the massive teams can draw hundreds of thousands. I'm sure some teams would give up the right to play at home in the group stages for an extra £5 million if they're relatively small and playing Real Madrid/Man United.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I believe it will work, it will happen, and bidding stadiums will pay the bill, TV will add the sugar on top.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know, I've never followed cricket. Do they actually have a world league? Are game locations rotated periodically?

Well, in effect it's a world league as the players are paid big bucks to play in the league. It does have nominal links to cities, but they're flimsy and there do have to be a certain number of Indians in the team but it is, in essence, the situation you described, just all in India.

I find it as boring as hell though

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Except none of the big clubs would lose a home game, so it would be Hull v Chelsea, Burnley v Liverpool, West Brom v Man Utd etc

The Yanks will all think Chelsea , Liverpool , Man United have home field advantage anyway apart from the 1% who know the difference between @ and v :lol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's only going to be a matter of time before a Super European League or maybe even a World League is set up by the 'glamour' teams. The Premier League may revert back to the old 'first division'. When? Within a decade I'm guessing.

Had a similar conversation with my brother the other day. We both agree a European league will almost certainly happen within the next 10 years or so. Lets face it, we're not far away from it already with the Champions League.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I imagine, as with many clubs, there are proud supporters whom have not missed a game in yonks. Imagine finding out your club is not playing at Teeside, but down in Damascus?

What would happen if it were a title decider and most of the fans couldn't afford to hop over to Bangkok for the game?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Think a world league is a way off.

That said, just because clubs are deep rooted in communities it won't matter. Top flight football has been hijacked by foreign interests, if there's big money at stake it will happen. As someone said earlier in this thread, turnstile money is chicken feed compared to TV money. We'd need 100k every week just to equal Sky's TV money.

Its a bizarre time to be an Albion fan, our club is in its best shape for decades, meanwhile around us the game is slowly eating itself

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I can see happening though, is a world league. Twenty completely new teams created by billionaires, the teams of which have a very loose connection to a certain area or country, but are not really supported only by people from that area.

that might not be a bad idea, only with few maybe only 10 teams, leaving the traditional clubs to get on with their own business.

I believe it will work, it will happen, and bidding stadiums will pay the bill, TV will add the sugar on top.

i dont understand why overseas TV will pay anymore for a game to be played in their country, or why Sky etc would pay more either. they pay for the rights to x package for the season, location is moot for them really isnt it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here