Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PJ Harvey back catalogue

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have only heard Let England Shake and the rather amazing White Chalk. Where should I go next in the wife's collection?

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I love "Stories From The City..." and would always recommend it. Though its a bit of a 'New York' album, kinda glammed up. Not as spooky/haunting as the two albums you've already heard, HT.

The only album i've seen get a properly bad review is "Uh Huh Her" and i never bothered to buy it. Would be interested to hear opinions from other NSC folk..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I have only heard Let England Shake and the rather amazing White Chalk. Where should I go next in the wife's collection?

in a way I am envious in the quality and volume of music new to you that you have to enjoy - on the plus side I've had her as a major part of the soundtrack to my life for a long, long time

enjoy

and don't forget the stuff with John Parish, that alone is head and shoulders above what the vast majority of artists could muster in a career

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
in a way I am envious in the quality and volume of music new to you that you have to enjoy - on the plus side I've had her as a major part of the soundtrack to my life for a long, long time

enjoy

and don't forget the stuff with John Parish, that alone is head and shoulders above what the vast majority of artists could muster in a career

Thank you.

On the latter point my first introduction to Ms Harvey was A Woman A Man Walked By which features the amazing Black Hearted Love track. The wife took me to see her perform this album. Whilst impressed* I left it there until the recent album came out and stoked my interest again.

* - although that song about chicken liver is a tad difficult.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Nothing is more exciting than discovering an artist/band and finding out that they have a vast catalogue to catch up on. For me I am listening to a lot of Pavement for the fist time.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
The first three (Dry, Rid of Me and To Bring You My Love) are the best, although they are all worth getting apart from Is This Desire? She is consistently good.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Nothing is more exciting than discovering an artist/band and finding out that they have a vast catalogue to catch up on. For me I am listening to a lot of Pavement for the fist time.

from your name don't expect a U.S.A. lightweight The Fall that they are often lazily pigeon-holed-ah as. Top Pavement tip is the 'Watery Domestic' E.P. .... that's really f***ing good, I know, I'm listening to it ............................... NOW

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
this is so much better than bitching about slack pie service and not winning the Champions League every season

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
obviously I meant Half Man, Half Biscuit - but in my experience HMHB fans generally like The Fall as well

and Pavement

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I bloody well love PJ! :love:

I'd say go for ALL of the albums, but 'Stories From The City...' & 'To Bring You My Love' are amazing (imo). Check out Meet ze Monsta & Long Snake Moan from the latter - & tell me that they ain't f***ing incredible.

Frankly, I ain't worthy. :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here