Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pitch selection / Falmer

There's a good three page feature in 'the Groundsman' magazine by Steve Winterburn, Head of Groundscare on the choice of growing mediums/seed choice for the new stadium at Falmer. Not sure it's that easy to get hold of, I get a copy as I'm a member of the IOG (Institute of Groundsmen) but if you go to Institute of Groundsmanship (IOG) | IOG Home you might be able to order a copy...it's the December issue you are after, only just reached my desk I think due to the weather.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah read that yesterday, good read, going with Fiberplastic (sp?) instead of a Desso pitch. My eyes will be GLUED to the Webcam in the coming months!

Kendo3

Jul 26, 2004
Uckfield
Heres a question for you groundsman, why do they allways mow the pitch straight after the game? Seen it loads of times on SKY when they are interviewing after the game. Not seen it at Withdean as always left the ground by then. Saw it at Chelsea once when given a corporate ticket.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Heres a question for you groundsman, why do they allways mow the pitch straight after the game? Seen it loads of times on SKY when they are interviewing after the game. Not seen it at Withdean as always left the ground by then. Saw it at Chelsea once when given a corporate ticket.

mowing after matches removes a lot of the grass debris thats been kicked up during the course of the game, helps to Clean the surface if you will.

EDIT: i've just been 0WNED below :lolol:

This is to stand the grass back up to increase the airflow and light penetration to the rhizome/stolon area where new shoots are formed. Light and air penetration is basically needed for good health as it prevents certain types of turf diseases. Being in a stadium environment can inhibit light and air flow because of the enclosed nature so it's good practise to stand the grass back up asap once it's been squashed down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here