Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pitch grow lightingat Withdean

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Apologies if fixtures, but did anyone see what I think was pitch grow lighting being wheeled onto the Withdean pitch behind a tractor after the Yeovil Town match?

If you watch the post match interview with Gus on seagulls world you can see it in the background.

Obviously planning to keep the pitch as nice as possible for our flicky-flicky, tappy-tappy football! Or perhaps trialing for the :amex:.

You can see what they look like here:

Emirates stadium pitch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Stadium Grow Lighting | SGL Concept | Home

:albion1::bhasign::albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've been using it all season, and there is a pic of it in last night's program.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yup, I have noticed it in seagulls world on a couple of Gus' interviews they seem to be putting it out in the background. What does it actually do? Could any grass experts (grassperts, if you will) explain the benefits?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yup, I have noticed it in seagulls world on a couple of Gus' interviews they seem to be putting it out in the background. What does it actually do? Could any grass experts (grassperts, if you will) explain the benefits?

Plants use light to grow (photosynthesis). More light = better growth.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Plants use light to grow (photosynthesis). More light = better growth.

Is it really that simple? I wondered if there were any benefits beyond better growth - does it stop the turf from falling apart a la Wembley or anything? Or does it simply facilitate the photosysthesis process?

Or am I asking silly questions?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
The pitch has never looked better than it has this year.
Another example of the clubs step up in class. I can remember when we first started playing there a hole appearing in or near the pitch!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it really that simple? I wondered if there were any benefits beyond better growth - does it stop the turf from falling apart a la Wembley or anything? Or does it simply facilitate the photosysthesis process?

Or am I asking silly questions?

Well, the better growth would probably lead to stronger roots, which would hold the turf in place better, I think. Maybe the lights are an optimum wavelength for the breed of grass, but essentially, yes I think it is that simple. Maybe the lights being so close also add a bit of warmth making the immediate environment more ideal.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
blake78 :thumbsup: thanks, that is an interesting read. Looks very much like this should aid our passing game throughout the winter and also could be a trail before moving to the Amex, which will have all the grass-growth problems associated with 'bowl' stadiums.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
They were watering the pitch just before last nights game too - no doubt on Gus's instructions so that the ball would zip around.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

Loving the fully integrated system;

The SGL Integrated Solution is the most complete application of the SGL Concept. It treats the pitch by using a construction that is fully integrated with the stadium. When the SGL Concept is functional the construction is situated at 2 meters above the pitch. With just one button push, this fully automatic installation can be made invisible for the audience and the players.

How the flip does that work - insinuates some kind of Meccano-esque fold away contraption.

Has TB sprung for this AS WELL?!

Not very green or sustainable is it. Should we perhaps instal a wind turbine (or two) above the stadium just by the road through Falmer, it would also make the stadium easier to find for visiting fans.

That way it would be eco friendly and carbon neutral (probably) and no one in Lewes could possibly object, could they? Might be a problem with bats flying into the turbine blades but I consider that would be a small price to pay.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
They basically help the grass grow (in lamens terms) during the dark winter months although they can be used all year round.
I got up close and personal to the Emirates ones...see below.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 246

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here