Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pierluigi Collina makes a good point with clips of Villa shown

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
True - but I don't want to have matches with 47 minutes added time at the end of the 90! The Villa example makes the case for 30 minutes each way with the ball in play overwhelming.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
True - but I don't want to have matches with 47 minutes added time at the end of the 90! The Villa example makes the case for 30 minutes each way with the ball in play overwhelming.
I'd sooner they reflected on the reasons why. Feigning injury, players, including Lamptey, just sitting down, sudden clutching of the head when contact was on the little toe.

Make use of VAR, if a player goes down clutching his head and it can be proved by video it is feigning injury, straight red. 5 match ban for cheating. The threat alone will stop it.

Currently those having treatment caused by a foul and the player is booked for the offence, doesn't have to go off the pitch. Extend this to those injured who need attention where the other player is not booked, has to leave the pitch from the nearest point and can only return via the 4th official (at the halfway line).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Afraid I disagree. I think it makes the case for referees to be more effective with time wasters. Add the appropriate time but more importantly, penalise time wasters early in the game. We should be watching at least 75 minutes of football if not more.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I would not want games turned into 120 mins but just a few things could be put in place. All very good praising W/C for adding 10/12mins but supporters didn't know what this was for. Stop clock when goal is scored and restart on KO. Same done with subs. Outside of that just add on what official thinks is time wasting.
Supporters just need to understand it. Take WH game. 3 goals and I think 8 subs and only 3 mins added. By this I assume refs directed not to add much time on if one side is several goals in lead.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Could the solution not just be as simple as assigning an additional 'clock-watcher' duty to the fourth official? Give them a stopwatch, start it for each stoppage and add it on accordingly?

Seems there is no method in judging added time currently and it's mostly guesswork.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think I said our game v Villa it was in play 42 mins - I thought the interpreter for RDZ said the average was 45 but clearly that was translated wrong - so just shows how atrocious that Villa time wasting was.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think I said our game v Villa it was in play 42 mins - I thought the interpreter for RDZ said the average was 45 but clearly that was translated wrong - so just shows how atrocious that Villa time wasting was.
Average is 45-55 depending on the league (PL somewhere in the upper middle of that I think). 42 probably makes it one of the PL games with least football this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’d prefer 70 mins as a minimum with the ball in play, regardless of stats.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
He also said that 2 games last weekend were stopped short of the correct amount of added time because they were 4-0 and 7-0 but goal difference at the end of the season can be crucial

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He also said that 2 games last weekend were stopped short of the correct amount of added time because they were 4-0 and 7-0 but goal difference at the end of the season can be crucial
This is a valid point. If a title, relegation or European spot is on the line and, for example, a team is 5-0 up and needs one more goal to change their fate, will the ref still add on less time because the game is 'dead'? Or does the referee now get to make a judgment on how important it is that the time that should be added on is played?

This could apply to any game- one goal can change things for both sides involved and those around them in the table come the end of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Make use of VAR, if a player goes down clutching his head and it can be proved by video it is feigning injury, straight red. 5 match ban for cheating. The threat alone will stop it.

I agree with the sentiment, but I imagine it'd be difficult to prove - eg, got a tap on the foot, went down awkwardly and hit his head on the ground, bit of whiplash etc etc.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree with the sentiment, but I imagine it'd be difficult to prove - eg, got a tap on the foot, went down awkwardly and hit his head on the ground, bit of whiplash etc etc.
Whiplash doesn’t happen in an instant.. think you’re stretching the imagination a bit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
While this is true, I think that is easier said than done sometimes. When the score is 7-0 you're undoubtedly a bit of a **** if you add 12 minutes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me that highlights the flaw in using goal difference in that way.

Personally I think that for the purposes of league tables, any GD should be capped at +3 per game. After all, if a team can't continue as they have a shortage of players through sendings off and subs, the opposition are only awarded a 3-0 win.

And remember that season in Scotland where the league title was decided on GD, and both Celtic and Rangers won their final games by 5 or 6 goals each? Where was that effort over the previous 35 games then?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whiplash doesn’t happen in an instant.. think you’re stretching the imagination a bit.
So not whiplash then, just 'ow, my head'. And what if a player is lying on the floor holding their head, but when the physios and ref come over, they say 'my leg hurts'. They weren't claiming they had concussion, they were just holding their head.

I'm all for retrospective bans if it works, I'm just concerned it'll be difficult to police.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So not whiplash then, just 'ow, my head'. And what if a player is lying on the floor holding their head, but when the physios and ref come over, they say 'my leg hurts'. They weren't claiming they had concussion, they were just holding their head.

I'm all for retrospective bans if it works, I'm just concerned it'll be difficult to police.
OK just let the cheats prosper then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Collina has missed the point. It isn't about the time wasted. It is about the disruption of the other team's flow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here