Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Usually followed a week later on Facebook with;

“If you can’t handle me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my best” (trans; I’ve been a massive twat to my boyfriend).

“Sometimes we all need a bit of time to ourselves” (trans; I’ve been a massive twat to everyone).

“It’s not how hard we get hit, it’s how quickly we get back up” (trans; I got sacked for being a twat).

Twat

No really, twat did you say?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Since covid everything seems to be unprecedented…annoys the crap out of me does that one.

yes, the use of unprecedented is at....... well......... unprecedented levels.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One the Americans (yes, all of them) use is to precede a request with "Go ahead and". So "pass me that spanner" becomes "Go ahead and pass me that spanner" .
There's no need for it ever, in any situation.
Go ahead and prove me wrong.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Go ahead and

No, really, go ahead and.
One the Americans (yes, all of them) use is to precede a request with "Go ahead and". So "pass me that spanner" becomes "Go ahead and pass me that spanner" .
There's no need for it ever, in any situation.
Go ahead and prove me wrong.
you got this....... really

heads up people, he's about to go ahead and.

There's methodology to my madness.

It will be unprecedented.

Let's do this.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Earlier in the year I heard someone refer to "cozzy livs" for "cost of living", the sentence being "the old cozzy livs doesn't seem to have affected them yet". I'm 99.9% certain they called the platinum jubilee "platty jubes" too.
Give me strength. Do they also call food eats? 🤬

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This must have already been covered, maybe even by me, but people that say 'let me get' when ordering something are the scum of the Earth. 'Could I get' is also unacceptable, but slightly less awful because it's a question, albeit rhetorical, rather than a demand.

Also the people that think they're original and hilarious for calling someone a 'cockwomble' or other such shite. 'Get in the sea' and other variations. Irritating.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I would hate to think something i said on here 18 months ago might be dragged back up by someone now as opinions change..

Just a nice reminder that the Internet is forever.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"People shouldn't have kids if they can't afford them." Most people probably can afford their kids when they have them, but circumstances change, disasters occur, people's incomes might be reduced through no fault of their own, their spouse might have to give-up work due to serious illness or disability, etc.

"We should look after our own first [instead of immigrants]." You can look after our own - get involved with or donate to a charity, do voluntary work, participate in fund-raising activities, help-out at a Food Bank, etc. I always suspect that those who say "We should look after our own first" don't really care about anyone; just engaging in anti-immigrant, faux-patriotic, virtue-signalling.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This must have already been covered, maybe even by me, but people that say 'let me get' when ordering something are the scum of the Earth. 'Could I get' is also unacceptable, but slightly less awful because it's a question, albeit rhetorical, rather than a demand.

Also the people that think they're original and hilarious for calling someone a 'cockwomble' or other such shite. 'Get in the sea' and other variations. Irritating.
Ah, a kindred spirit. Whenever I hear someone say "Can I get a lager/coffee/burger", I wish the person serving could say "No, you can't, but I'll get one for you."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here