Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In the specific context of radio phone-ins and interviews, the use of 'how are you?' as the reflexive introduction by the host. This often prompts the response of 'how are you?'. So we now have 2 meaningless questions. It's meaningless because it's a redundant question: NOBODY WANTS A GENUINE ANSWER other than ''fine thanks'. Now given that any time x% of the British public are suffering with toothache, piles, hangovers, erectile dysfunction, migraine and god knows what else and are anything but fine, why can't someone just respond to this totally vacuous question by actually saying how they 'really' are - e.g. 'funny you asked that Nicky, as my wife has left me, my dog's died and I've just dropped a hammer on my big 'f*ucking toe.'

PS what's the matter with just saying, 'good morning' or even (being radical here) 'hello'?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
'I'm just going to jump in the shower'.

No, you're not.

If you do, you may bang your head on the rose or slip if you don't have a sensible rubber mat or securely fastened support grip bar.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My grudge is not so much a phrase in a vocal sense, its a hatred of pompous cafe's and restaurants that can't price their menu's in Pounds so you get things like " Miso Infused Twice fried Sweet Potato Chips 6.5. WTF is that meant to be ? the score out of ten ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My grudge is not so much a phrase in a vocal sense, its a hatred of pompous cafe's and restaurants that can't price their menu's in Pounds so you get things like " Miso Infused Twice fried Sweet Potato Chips 6.5. WTF is that meant to be ? the score out of ten ?

The theory is that punters will spend more if you leave off the pound sign. Silly as it seems, I presume there are studies to back this up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sentences starting with 'So' for no apparent reason.
Football pundits who say 'alluding to' as if it's naturally part of their vocabulary when we all know they've just learned it and they think they sound intelligent.
This one's a bit risky but here goes: NSC posters who who keep parroting ' Connolly needs to go on loan for a season'. Let's leave that to the experts at the club. If he goes on loan for next season, I'll happily eat humble pie to the hive mind of wisdom that is NSC.:)

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
'I'm not gonna lie ..' (so you do lie but not this time)
'.. get a result ..' (gets right on my tits. We got a bloody result against Arsenal FFS).
' .. obviously ..' every other sentence, usually when it isn't.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Govt ministers saying "lessons will be learned" as they kick whatever it is into the very long grass never to be seen again!
See Priti Patel masterclass on Sunday's Andrew Marr Show.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not going to read all this thread (I'm sure that phrase alone annoys some people!), so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before: but I really really REALLY hate the word 'drop' being used as a synonym for 'release'. If someone says to me with regard to a software package "Yeah, that feature's now dropped" I understand that to mean that the feature has been removed, deleted, not included. Instead apparently it now means 'Yeah, that feature's now been released."

Rather like 'sick' and 'wicked' I suppose old Gramps here is just going to have to suck it up and get down with the kids.

So this post is just about to be dropped ...

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Govt ministers saying "lessons will be learned" as they kick whatever it is into the very long grass never to be seen again!

Kick it into the long grass :):):)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It interesting that her view is that "The bbc's reputation has been damaged by the Bashir report" but her reputation remains intact despite proven allegations of bullying across three separate Ministries and a sacking for lying [emoji848]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
When politicians say "that's a really good question"...

You know then an utter load of shite will follow from it

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
When politicians say "that's a really good question"...

You know then an utter load of shite will follow from it

Yeah this crops up a lot from politicians and higher management
Why would anyone praise a question?
Either buying time to think of an answer or sucking up to the person asking the question
All a load of meaningless tripe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here