Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phrases or Sayings for Room 101

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
All americanisms.

My personal favourite being "I'm nauseous" if you're nauseous you make other people feel sick. If you feel sick you're nauseated.

"That's awesome" really? You are struck dumb with utter overwhelming sensory overload or were you slightly impressed?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Bizarrely I recall reading that in the US having ignored our fine word 'Queue' and chosen 'line' instead they are after a century dropping line in favour of.....queue

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes, yes it does...Yes, yes it is.... (or any variation on this).

Very popular on NSC for some reason. No idea why the second affirmative is required.

Certain new Americanisms like winningest and go-ahead goal, the latter being uttered by the US commentator when interviewing Dempsey about the goal that put the US 2-1 ahead against Portugal.

Tempted to leave selfie out purely because it helps to clearly identify those with a Narcissistic Personality Disorder to the rest of us.
However, onesie can politely 'do one'.

Users of the word tragedy in relation to sporting defeats may need to rediscover a sense of proportion.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Flavoursome and Moreish are a couple of tardese words from the banal cooking programmes that have jumped into common speech.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
"Is that good?"

Is it possible to say the above without sounding patronising or condescending?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Cringe.

For some reason it seemed like it was trying to take over the English language for a little while. It was all over NSC...chants made people cringe, goal celebrations made people cringe, other people talking made people cringe, peoples sartorial style made people cringe, the number of away fans made people cringe, the number of home fans made people cringe, leaving early made people cringe and so on.

It even seeped into the press.

It seems to have died down now, I guess once you've cringed at someones haircut what else is there left to cringe at?

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
"Lush"
"Very much so"

.......oh and anyone who says they've been on a "journey" when they've just had a "life experience" and haven't actually travelled anywhere deserves to have the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits.

:facepalm:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gotten

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bedwetter.

For some reason I always think of Morrisey singing 'Bedwetters of the world, unite and take over'

:mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here