Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philip Larkin anyone?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Larkin died the first year I lived in Hull. I knew some people who had known him at the University. A brilliant poet but apparently a very difficult man.

https://www.poetryarchive.org/poem/whitsun-weddings

The Whitsun Weddings
BY PHILIP LARKIN
That Whitsun, I was late getting away:
Not till about
One-twenty on the sunlit Saturday
Did my three-quarters-empty train pull out,
All windows down, all cushions hot, all sense
Of being in a hurry gone. We ran
Behind the backs of houses, crossed a street
Of blinding windscreens, smelt the fish-dock; thence
The river’s level drifting breadth began,
Where sky and Lincolnshire and water meet.

All afternoon, through the tall heat that slept
For miles inland,
A slow and stopping curve southwards we kept.
Wide farms went by, short-shadowed cattle, and
Canals with floatings of industrial froth;
A hothouse flashed uniquely: hedges dipped
And rose: and now and then a smell of grass
Displaced the reek of buttoned carriage-cloth
Until the next town, new and nondescript,
Approached with acres of dismantled cars.

At first, I didn’t notice what a noise
The weddings made
Each station that we stopped at: sun destroys
The interest of what’s happening in the shade,
And down the long cool platforms whoops and skirls
I took for porters larking with the mails,
And went on reading. Once we started, though,
We passed them, grinning and pomaded, girls
In parodies of fashion, heels and veils,
All posed irresolutely, watching us go,

As if out on the end of an event
Waving goodbye
To something that survived it. Struck, I leant
More promptly out next time, more curiously,
And saw it all again in different terms:
The fathers with broad belts under their suits
And seamy foreheads; mothers loud and fat;
An uncle shouting smut; and then the perms,
The nylon gloves and jewellery-substitutes,
The lemons, mauves, and olive-ochres that

Marked off the girls unreally from the rest.
Yes, from cafés
And banquet-halls up yards, and bunting-dressed
Coach-party annexes, the wedding-days
Were coming to an end. All down the line
Fresh couples climbed aboard: the rest stood round;
The last confetti and advice were thrown,
And, as we moved, each face seemed to define
Just what it saw departing: children frowned
At something dull; fathers had never known

Success so huge and wholly farcical;
The women shared
The secret like a happy funeral;
While girls, gripping their handbags tighter, stared
At a religious wounding. Free at last,
And loaded with the sum of all they saw,
We hurried towards London, shuffling gouts of steam.
Now fields were building-plots, and poplars cast
Long shadows over major roads, and for
Some fifty minutes, that in time would seem

Just long enough to settle hats and say
I nearly died,
A dozen marriages got under way.
They watched the landscape, sitting side by side
—An Odeon went past, a cooling tower,
And someone running up to bowl—and none
Thought of the others they would never meet
Or how their lives would all contain this hour.
I thought of London spread out in the sun,
Its postal districts packed like squares of wheat:

There we were aimed. And as we raced across
Bright knots of rail
Past standing Pullmans, walls of blackened moss
Came close, and it was nearly done, this frail
Travelling coincidence; and what it held
Stood ready to be loosed with all the power
That being changed can give. We slowed again,
And as the tightened brakes took hold, there swelled
A sense of falling, like an arrow-shower
Sent out of sight, somewhere becoming rain.

Philip Larkin, "The Whitsun Weddings " from Whitsun Weddings. Copyright © Estate of Philip Larkin. Reprinted by permission of Faber and Faber, Ltd.
Source: Collected Poems (Farrar Straus and Giroux, 2001)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, I'm not quite sure why he thought sexual intercourse only started in 1963 or that it was too late for him - he seems to have been shag happy most of his life.

He's yet another example of a poet who is a complete bell-end in real life but produces such excellent work (see Shelley, Byron, Brecht, Rimbaud, Thomas, Hughes etc)

Probably misplaced but I have always had a lot of sympathy for Dylan Thomas. Larkin and Amis had no time for him and mocked him for wearing his heart on his sleeve with his soppy romanticism but his Go Not Gently poem is as powerful as anything ever written in the English language. It still stops me in my tracks. And I find it difficult to dislike the man that gave us Under Milk Wood. The piece where Rev Eli Jenkins talks of 'towns more lovely' and 'fairer hills' but he wants nothing more than to stroll around Llareggub ..."and never, never leave" is how I feel whenever I am in sight of the South Downs. He captures my feelings perfectly. I suspect that I am also inclined to give him a free pass because any pain he brought on others, he inflicted upon himself twofold.

I don't know an awful lot about Jean Rimbaud (except the famous Cantona story) or Berthold Brecht but Ted Hughes sounded like a complete and utter shit with few redeeming features.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Was interested to learn today that when Larkin was a boy his Nazi sympathiser father took him to a Nuremburg rally. I wonder if he had this in mind when he wrote the line, "they f*ck you up your mum and dad".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Was interested to learn today that when Larkin was a boy his Nazi sympathiser father took him to a Nuremburg rally. I wonder if he had this in mind when he wrote the line, "they f*ck you up your mum and dad".

When I first read that story I couldn't believe it. Truly incredible. And yes, I think that must have had been in his mind when he wrote that. From what I've read, in adult life he was a conventional Conservative but in the late 60s and early 70s his views on the effects of mass immigration into Britain was pretty much the same as Enoch Powell's and confirmed him as a racist. I may be completely wide of the mark but I see a lot of parallels with Morrissey in both the England that they yearned for and the England that they hate.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
When I first read that story I couldn't believe it. Truly incredible. And yes, I think that must have had been in his mind when he wrote that. From what I've read, in adult life he was a conventional Conservative but in the late 60s and early 70s his views on the effects of mass immigration into Britain was pretty much the same as Enoch Powell's and confirmed him as a racist. I may be completely wide of the mark but I see a lot of parallels with Morrissey in both the England that they yearned for and the England that they hate.

Based on your earlier post I bought Kingsley Amis's Memoirs on ebay this morning. Only £2.50. Looks a good read.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Based on your earlier post I bought Kingsley Amis's Memoirs on ebay this morning. Only £2.50. Looks a good read.

I hope you enjoy it! And I hope I have remembered that Larkin story with the big coat correctly. It's probably been 20 years since I read the book.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I hope you enjoy it! And I hope I have remembered that Larkin story with the big coat correctly. It's probably been 20 years since I read the book.

I hope so as it was the big coat story that really sold it to me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just tried to find reference to it but can't see it in the book. I definitely recall reading about it but it may have been from Martin Amis.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not forgetting this gem ....

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Yes. Always makes me angry to read that. So very true.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Whoah! I could write pages in reply but best not.... don't want some spotty student copying it for their thesis.... (I know, humility, etc :hilton:)

Entertaining :bigwave:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably misplaced but I have always had a lot of sympathy for Dylan Thomas. Larkin and Amis had no time for him and mocked him for wearing his heart on his sleeve with his soppy romanticism but his Go Not Gently poem is as powerful as anything ever written in the English language. It still stops me in my tracks. And I find it difficult to dislike the man that gave us Under Milk Wood. The piece where Rev Eli Jenkins talks of 'towns more lovely' and 'fairer hills' but he wants nothing more than to stroll around Llareggub ..."and never, never leave" is how I feel whenever I am in sight of the South Downs. He captures my feelings perfectly. I suspect that I am also inclined to give him a free pass because any pain he brought on others, he inflicted upon himself twofold.

I don't know an awful lot about Jean Rimbaud (except the famous Cantona story) or Berthold Brecht but Ted Hughes sounded like a complete and utter shit with few redeeming features.

I'm not knocking his ability as a poet - I love his work - but he was a drunk, a sponger and a womaniser, don't think Larkin or Amis would have knocked him on those grounds. It's Arthur Rimbaud, not Jean: a sly, manipulative little weasel who wrecked Verlaine's life, but what a poet. Brecht was a liar, plagiarist, womaniser (and one who readily abandoned his mistresses) and a hypocrite. He was a genius poet though and a genuinely great playwright, one who had no need to plagiarise. What a crew! But, yes, Hughes seems to have few redeeming features at all and a poet I've never really greatly admired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here