Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Phil Neville

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's the grammar that really distresses me...

“U women of always wanted equality until it comes to paying the bills #hypocrites”

..and the excessive use of exclamation marks...

“Relax I’m back chilled – just battered the wife!!! Feel better now!”

I doubt he'll get sacked

I wonder why the FA couldn't have found a candidate with proven, relevant job experience rather than appoint someone with no experience of being a manager?

Wales have just appointed Giggs as their manager really not sure what the probelm with him would be.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How can people say he's not qualified.
He played top level football for 15 years. He's got a UEFA B badge and has been coaching at the top level for the last 4 years. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to teach them something.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, he hasn't really done anything wrong? I'm OUTRAGED!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Not often I agree with Danny Mills:

"I do feel it's a bit of a left field appointment," he said. "The questions aren't around him itself they're around the FA's process; the coaching pathway for coaches coming through the system.

"What's happened to that with women?

"He's never managed in the women's game whatsoever. Men and women are massively different and dealing with the women's game is different so what's the rationale of employing someone who has never worked in that industry?

"It doesn't matter to me if it's a male or female as a coach as long as they have the right experience.

"For someone to get a top job having never managed at the highest level - what message does that send to grass-root coaches?

"If you start at the bottom level you can work to the top - or if you're a big name in the media you can jump to the top."

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Not often I agree with Danny Mills:

"I do feel it's a bit of a left field appointment," he said. "The questions aren't around him itself they're around the FA's process; the coaching pathway for coaches coming through the system.

"What's happened to that with women?

"He's never managed in the women's game whatsoever. Men and women are massively different and dealing with the women's game is different so what's the rationale of employing someone who has never worked in that industry?

"It doesn't matter to me if it's a male or female as a coach as long as they have the right experience.

"For someone to get a top job having never managed at the highest level - what message does that send to grass-root coaches?

"If you start at the bottom level you can work to the top - or if you're a big name in the media you can jump to the top."

Spot on

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There was a lady footballer interviewed on five live who categorically stated that he shouldn't manage the women's team as they had monthly stuff going on and that women and men were a different species. Imagine if a male employee was on the radio complaining he had a female boss. How sexist.

That wasn't her complaint. Her complaint was that she knew several female coaches who had done the coaching badges, had loads of experience managing women's football teams and yet didn't even get an interview.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That wasn't her complaint. Her complaint was that she knew several female coaches who had done the coaching badges, had loads of experience managing women's football teams and yet didn't even get an interview.

This. There are some great women coaches in the game. As qualified, if not more so, than Neville P.

Very disappointed, yet unsurprised, that the senile blazers at the FA have yet again displayed their incompetence to the world.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
His tweets are clearly misguided. But they read very tongue in cheek to me. I mean "I just battered the wife" sounds awful, but add any context to it and it could sound perfectly normal, like "I just battered the wife at snooker"...

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Yes. Clearly a misguided attempt at humour. Then again, domestic abuse is perhaps not the best thing to try to get a laugh out of?

I'm biased against him anyway. I can hardly bear to listen to him on MOTD. I pretty much disagree with everything he says. I wouldn't have him near a kid's team - let alone the national team.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yes. Clearly a misguided attempt at humour. Then again, domestic abuse is perhaps not the best thing to try to get a laugh out of?

I'm biased against him anyway. I can hardly bear to listen to him on MOTD. I pretty much disagree with everything he says. I wouldn't have him near a kid's team - let alone the national team.

This.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
all that needs to happen is for Neville to declare hes converted to Islam then the issue would die, as would this thread.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The real issue... Why do people think low IQ ex man utd players make good managers and become automatic first choice?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You do wonder how the FA could make themselves appear any more incompetent - Did nobody stop to think, what skeletons are in Phil's cupboard? Is there any particular social media platform that might be cause of some embarrassment? I'm not going to get too worked up about what he tweeted but then to make him, an apparently unqualified man the manager of the Women's team, without doing a bit of due diligence... FFS.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
all that needs to happen is for Neville to declare hes converted to Islam then the issue would die, as would this thread.
Is there any subject on NSC that you won't link to Islam in a feeble manner? One thing is for sure your wear your agenda on your sleeve.

I suppose it works in with the chip on your shoulder.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
What astounds me is the stupidity of these public figures. Whether he thinks these things or not, why put them out there on a public forum for millions of people to see that could come back and bite you at a later date? It's not my thing but if wants to make stone age, crass 'jokes' like that, do it with your mates in private as they're probably equally immature. It's not like he wasn't famous in 2012?! The wife beating tweet particularly, on what planet did he ever think that was a good idea to tweet?

He probably shouldn't have got the job in the first place, I don't know a great deal about women's football but from what I've read and heard on the matter there are more qualified women and men out there. I know they probably thought it would give the women's game more exposure but I'm astonished with what is happening in the world and the criticism the FA have received over the Sampson ordeal that they thought this was a good idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here