Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PGMOL

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They should certainly be seeking an official statement over why it wasn't given. What explanation can there be?
The only explanation I can think of is that they are under pressure not to allow VAR to take up too much time and on first viewing, it appeared the ball came off Digne.

I must admit, I watched the game on TV, and from one angle it looked like it was just a tackle with the ball coming away off Digne. It was only the replay off the key angle that you can see March clearly wins the ball and Digne clearly fouls him. I can only think they made their mind up it didn't need any further attention from the other angle.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The only explanation I can think of is that they are under pressure not to allow VAR to take up too much time and on first viewing, it appeared the ball came off Digne.

I must admit, I watched the game on TV, and from one angle it looked like it was just a tackle with the ball coming away off Digne. It was only the replay off the key angle that you can see March clearly wins the ball and Digne clearly fouls him. I can only think they made their mind up it didn't need any further attention from the other angle.
Apart from March needs attention which lasted about 3 minutes

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apart from March needs attention which lasted about 3 minutes
They'd already completed the check I think. March didn't get treatment for a minute or so as the game went on, that was when the VAR check was happening. I might be wrong, but I think it was done before the game stopped for March.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They'd already completed the check I think. March didn't get treatment for a minute or so as the game went on, that was when the VAR check was happening. I might be wrong, but I think it was done before the game stopped for March.
Didn't stop them at City where the game continued for about 4 minutes before they decided it was only fair they gave them another penalty

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn't stop them at City where the game continued for about 4 minutes before they decided it was only fair they gave them another penalty
I'm not arguing for them not looking at it, I'm just hypothetically giving an explanation for why they missed it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
VAR is obviously **** and obviously needs to be binned ......

Ref's can sometimes miss something if they're at the wrong angle etc ......

But how the bloody hell did the lino miss that incident? He's 10 yards away.

The standards of officiating are bewilderingly poor. I actually have some sympathy. Managers send out their players to dive and cheat then moan when the ref gets something wrong. In those instances i'm totally with the officials. But it's the obvious things that happen right in front of them, that they don't see. I genuinely think, they should all be sacked and we should just start again with a new crop.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
VAR is obviously **** and obviously needs to be binned ......

Ref's can sometimes miss something if they're at the wrong angle etc ......

But how the bloody hell did the lino miss that incident? He's 10 yards away.

The standards of officiating are bewilderingly poor. I actually have some sympathy. Managers send out their players to dive and cheat then moan when the ref gets something wrong. In those instances i'm totally with the officials. But it's the obvious things that happen right in front of them, that they don't see. I genuinely think, they should all be sacked and we should just start again with a new crop.
The Lino missed other stuff too, shirt pulls etc that we’re right under his nose - though he was surprisingly good at spotting when we were offside.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
In an alternative universe when we next play Vanilla maybe the ref blows his whistle to start the game, then blows again to stop the game runs across to the pitchside monitor watches a revue of the Digne March incident and walks back on the pitch to award us a penalty!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only explanation I can think of is that they are under pressure not to allow VAR to take up too much time.
............... and week after week they provide conclusive evidence that the pressure (if it exists, which I doubt) doesn't work. So no, not an explanation then.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
............... and week after week they provide conclusive evidence that the pressure (if it exists, which I doubt) doesn't work. So no, not an explanation then.
VAR calls in the Premier League took far longer time in the beginning of the first VAR season, which was bemoaned here and by the press etc. Since then the process has (usually) been quicker. I think there is some pressure to get it done swiftly.

Not sure if TV viewers and VAR people are shown the same pictures at the same time, but what happened on TV was that they showed a replay of the incident once, then commentators said "VAR check is over" and then they showed it several more times on TV. I think if the VAR people would have taken their time to look at it another couple of times, it would have been given.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He was adamant on ref watch today that it was a blatant penalty. It’s the most clear I have ever heard him be over a decision being wrong. Both pundits agreed 100% and seem genuinely confused about it. Sky and MOTD2 also all unanimous.

I know we could have missed the penalty but it’s so obvious it’s almost as black and white as a ball crossing the line. Almost certainly cost us at least a point and it’s literally unbelievable that someone can watch that and not deem it a penalty.

The club should ask for answers.
Unlikely as it was the club, together with the rest of the EPL, that voted for introduction of VAR in the first place. Having welcomed it with open arms, they can hardly be critical of it when the morons they put in charge of it f*ck it up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unlikely as it was the club, together with the rest of the EPL, that voted for introduction of VAR in the first place. Having welcomed it with open arms, they can hardly be critical of it when the morons they put in charge of it f*ck it up.
Of course they can raise questions about the administering of VAR, that is hopefully how things will improve.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Worst ref in the league. Useless again tonight from start to finish.

The lino on our side made two great calls though to his credit.
Given that you thought the comical attempt at the a back heal which ended up going the other way into the keeper's hands was a back pass, I would suggest your ref appraisal may also be the worst in the league :ROFLMAO:

The ref did let a lot go tonight, but was consistent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here