Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PGMOL accepts Fabinho should have been sent off for Evan Ferguson tackle

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
VAR working wonders for us recently. Solly assaulted in the penalty area v Villa. Danny W clearly fouled v Wolves and a widescale second half assault from a Liverpool side desperate to use whatever means necessary to try and progress.
Players lost injured and points loss adds up to too many minus marks.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nothing that they can do will change the result of the game , or uninjure Ferguson. I would also add I have yet to see a referee sythe one of our players down. What this does do is make Fabinho a marked man which can only be a good thing.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Nothing that they can do will change the result of the game , or uninjure Ferguson. I would also add I have yet to see a referee sythe one of our players down. What this does do is make Fabinho a marked man which can only be a good thing.
But I do think they can take some form of retrospective action against the clown running VAR. This wasn't a mistake in the heat of the moment, in this instance Ferguson was down injured for a long time, so they had plenty of time to identify a shocking, red card worthy assault. They should have some form of re-education forfeit for officials who get stuff that wrong, with no further involvement in officiating until that has been undertaken.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I still think there should be a fan from each side with the VAR official............and it should be televised. Great viewing and probable risk of harm...to the official!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But I do think they can take some form of retrospective action against the clown running VAR. This wasn't a mistake in the heat of the moment, in this instance Ferguson was down injured for a long time, so they had plenty of time to identify a shocking, red card worthy assault. They should have some form of re-education forfeit for officials who get stuff that wrong, with no further involvement in officiating until that has been undertaken.
Except the ref on VAR for that game, failed ref Neil Swarbrick, IS the guy responsible for educating officials in how to use it:
20230131_150605.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I hate VAR and will continue to shout into the void that we should return to just having on pitch refs, like we did for 100+ years. However, I have to admit that, by remembering every decision that went against us and none that went for us, I contributed to getting the game to a point where the officials felt obliged to pretend that, with technology, they could get all decisions right. Obviously they can't, and the undue attention being paid to this Sisiphyian task has detracted from the joy and glory of the whole pointless, wonderful exercise that is the world's greatest game.

If I'm to stop being one of the voices that got us to the point where over attention to detail in the rules trumps the kind of wonder that was Ali Mac's thumping goal against Leicester, I have to accept that officials, whether or not they are assisted by technology, are all humans and will make mistakes. For the good of the game, we have to swallow our anger and pain and, when they do and then have the courage to admit it, say, through clenched teeth in a truly bottled up British way: 'Thanks for saying that. Nobody's perfect. Now, let's get back to the game that we all love.'

I'm trying hard and one day I hope to be able to say 'I understand Mike. You were under a lot of pressure to be right about everything and I can see why you may not have found the courage to admit that you were wrong to send off Dale Stephens and support the club's appeal against his ban.' I'm not there yet, the pompous, egotistical f...., sorry I mean to say, let's try to forgive and forget.
Agreed. VAR has been a failure inasmuch as it has NOT removed controversy from the game, in fact all its done as even it's most ardent supporters (and VAR unbelievably still has supporters) will admit is that it's added another layer.

The only possible area where it can claim to be a 'success' is in offsides, where thanks to the slo-mo replays and video enhancements they can spot the 'clear and obvious' toenails and earlobes to enable them to give a binary onside/offside decision . And even that 'success' is delivered in a clunky and time-consuming way, which for me and others has deadened the spontaneity of goal celebrations. (Mitoma's being a good example. I knew it was going to get checked).

Anything else where it isn't a binary yes/no STILL comes down to interpretation, although now instead of just the matchday officials giving their interpretation we have a second set of officials give their interpretation as well. Needless to say these interpretations differ from individual to individual and from game to game, hence every week there is always ALWAYS a VAR controversy. How could it be otherwise?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Except the ref on VAR for that game, failed ref Neil Swarbrick, IS the guy responsible for educating officials in how to use it:
View attachment 156470
Surely his role as head of VAR must now come into question?

How can FIFA get VAR working so much better than the PGMOL? Is it because international video assistants are not ex colleagues of the on field refs and thus don't feel the need to cover for a mate?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Only fair Bournemouth start with 10 then?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Got one right tonight...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bruno Guimaraes will presumably be suspended for matches against West Ham, Bournemouth & Liverpool.

They'll be pleased his ban is against the easy teams.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Meanwhile on the BBC Transfer coverage...this?

"Liverpool have lost a "nastiness" in their play and require "two or three" new midfielders at the end of the season.

That's the view of former Premier League and Liverpool youth player Craig Hignett".

Just like VAR couldn't have watched closely on Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here