Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PGMOL accepts Fabinho should have been sent off for Evan Ferguson tackle

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Agreed. VAR has been a failure inasmuch as it has NOT removed controversy from the game, in fact all its done as even it's most ardent supporters (and VAR unbelievably still has supporters) will admit is that it's added another layer.

The only possible area where it can claim to be a 'success' is in offsides, where thanks to the slo-mo replays and video enhancements they can spot the 'clear and obvious' toenails and earlobes to enable them to give a binary onside/offside decision . And even that 'success' is delivered in a clunky and time-consuming way, which for me and others has deadened the spontaneity of goal celebrations. (Mitoma's being a good example. I knew it was going to get checked).

Anything else where it isn't a binary yes/no STILL comes down to interpretation, although now instead of just the matchday officials giving their interpretation we have a second set of officials give their interpretation as well. Needless to say these interpretations differ from individual to individual and from game to game, hence every week there is always ALWAYS a VAR controversy. How could it be otherwise?
Really? You knew it was going to be checked by VAR? Despite no appeals from Liverpool? Despite no suggestion from the ref or lino? Despite the teams returning to the centre spot after lengthy celebrations? I'd say it was a total surprise to everybody in the ground when that massive red VAR review screen appeared. If you never bother cheering a goal any more, that's your loss and you might as well not bother going anymore. The majority of goals stand. Refs and VAR refs are often poor in the big moments to the extent that as on Sunday, they look like cheats. But cheer the goals mate. Most of them count.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Yet the talk sport pundit (Danny Mills)commentating on game saying its a disgraceful decision to send Guimaraes off tonight for a challenge that was wasn't as bad as the challenge on Ferguson at weekend🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
But the point is they reviewed tonight because they admitted they got it wrong on Sunday. The VAR ref tonight would have been under instruction to review any similar challenge tonight, and refer it back to the ref on the pitch.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Really? You knew it was going to be checked by VAR? Despite no appeals from Liverpool? Despite no suggestion from the ref or lino? Despite the teams returning to the centre spot after lengthy celebrations? I'd say it was a total surprise to everybody in the ground when that massive red VAR review screen appeared. If you never bother cheering a goal any more, that's your loss and you might as well not bother going anymore. The majority of goals stand. Refs and VAR refs are often poor in the big moments to the extent that as on Sunday, they look like cheats. But cheer the goals mate. Most of them count.
Since when has there had to be an appeal? I knew from when the free kick was played in that it was tight and that there would be a VAR check - and I was right. And yes I do still celebrate the goals, but not in the same way. And for me that has detracted from the 'Matchday Experience'. Just my personal view, although I know others share it.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yet the talk sport pundit (Danny Mills)commentating on game saying its a disgraceful decision to send Guimaraes off tonight for a challenge that was wasn't as bad as the challenge on Ferguson at weekend🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I always thought Mills was very dubious in his opinions but that’s clearly nonsense - so at least he’s consistently bad. Last night‘s was a red and Evan’s was a red(one of the most blatant ever seen)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here