Petition for Marine A.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I generally wont have a word said against our forces, but you cannot attempt to hold the moral high ground whilst also allowing this to go unpunished , whether it should be 10 years is a matter for another discussion , maybe there could've been a diminished responsibility type defence, what IS beyond doubt is that they are complete fkwits for keeping copies of the incident on computer etc , I mean , that was beyond stupid....

It was daft. I agree.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I have no intention of debating this issue with you since we are forever bound to disagree. Suffice it to say that I have first hand experience of how operational pressures can affect the balance of mind; and that it would not surprise me if such factors played a part in the case under discussion. Let's leave it there.

I'm not arguing with you on this as I'm not really qualified to comment but have you listened to the recording/watched the video? I understand there are stresses whilst being in a place like that and they are not to be underestimated, but if you watch the recording do his words sound like those of someone who is acting without full knowledge of what he was doing? Fact is he knew what he was doing would land him in hot water if anyone found out but he still went ahead and killed a man, I have utmost respect for our armed forces but we can't excuse what he did by saying he was in a stressful situation, that just doesn't cut it given what he did.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
So you wouldn't have bothered with the Nuremberg trials after WW2 then?

Er. Did I say that? I agreed that shit happens in war as it does. That's all.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What does this tell the Taliban as well...Now the leaders can tell their combatants, that the English will kill you if youre wounded.
Its a difficult subject, for sure, but this wasnt in the 'heat' of battle was it?

If we captured a Taliban combatant, and had evidence that he had shot, and killed an unarmed, wounded British soldier, I think this thread would be a lot different.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I have mates in the army. I have family in the army. A number of them have fought in the Afgan campaign ( and thankfully come back to tell the tale ). It is not a level playing field ( or should that be battlefield ). Our troops are being asked to fight this war with one arm tied behind their back because of the rules of engagement. Until our troops are enabled to actually fight then I truly believe what Soldier A did wasn't murder. Oh, he isn't the only one to have done this - he's the only one to have been tried though.

Simster's already fingered you, you don't have to prove his point!

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Er. Did I say that? I agreed that shit happens in war as it does. That's all.

Apologies if I misunderstood but it seemed as though you were using that as justification for what this marine did. I agree that atrocities do occur in war but that fact in itself shouldn't mean that the same can happen in future wars.

Having never fought in one (I hope I will never have to) I can only imagine the mental strain soldiers must be under and have total sympathy for that. I don't believe it can be used to totally excuse murder, however.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What does this tell the Taliban as well...Now the leaders can tell their combatants, that the English will kill you if youre wounded.
Its a difficult subject, for sure, but this wasnt in the 'heat' of battle was it?

If we captured a Taliban combatant, and had evidence that he had shot, and killed an unarmed, wounded British soldier, I think this thread would be a lot different.
The very fact that you only 'think' it would be a lot different speaks volumes about your mentality to me, most NORMAL people, like it or not , have a default loyalty to their own, in this case, british forces, you have demonstrated on numerous occasions , that you do not.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The very fact that you only 'think' it would be a lot different speaks volumes about your mentality to me, most NORMAL people, like it or not , have a default loyalty to their own, in this case, british forces, you have demonstrated on numerous occasions , that you do not.

Because I see beyond crass, blind nationalism? Sorry about that.
Im very loyal to the British forces. I would rather they were not fighting Americas war.
I stood with other ex forces at the Remembrance parade.
Im sad (more for the families), when they get killed, or wounded, but I understand that in wars, soliders get killed, and wounded. It sort of goes with the job. However, I dont feel a need to go through any 'look at me' moments when they are killed, or wounded.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe anyone can claim it was anything other than murder. The Afghan was, at the time, unarmed, injured and posing no immediate threat. The dialogue seems to suggest Marine A knew what he was doing and acknowledged the criminality with his comment relating to the Geneva convention. What people think this petition will achieve is beyond me. Do they think the Government will overturn a legal decision?

As for some of the comments, I believe that I could never do what Marine A did to that Afghan but fully accept that I don't know what I would be like in that position and having witnessed some of the things going on over there. However, it is still a crime. 10 years for murder is not a long sentence and there can't be that many murders where the minimum tariff is only that. Gratitude to all in the armed forces for doing what they do but that doesn't go as far as giving them licence to break the laws that we live by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports