Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Brezovan?

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
If Peter does not play for the first team and not for the development squad, where does he get his match practise? Surely this must just as important for a goalkeeper as an outfield player.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Strange isn't it? There's a whole host of players who neither feature much for the first team nor the reserve teams. So how do they retain match fitness? Presumably they don't. Or maybe we just place too much emphasis on the concept of being 'match fit'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And yet people expect him to excel in a new system when he has one of his 9 matches over the course of the season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes it's a bit of an oddity. I was commenting on Harley the other day ... some saying "give him time" but learning our system or getting up to speed isn't a luxury I think we can afford in the first team and in the "old days" that was the big benefit of reserve football. For players like Harley or others in the first team who suffer a loss of form this is the ideal place to come back.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Yes it's a bit of an oddity. I was commenting on Harley the other day ... some saying "give him time" but learning our system or getting up to speed isn't a luxury I think we can afford in the first team and in the "old days" that was the big benefit of reserve football. For players like Harley or others in the first team who suffer a loss of form this is the ideal place to come back.
Seems now when players go out of form, they get loaned out to lower league clubs that play a similar system. Which may help us out loads when the likes of Spurs and Arsenal have players not quite making it at that level.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
He does turn out for the reserves (as opposed to development squad) but they don't play that many games.

Something of a problem for all fringe players.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A real problem.Don't know how he(or others in a similar position) can be expected to come into the side and play a blinder after virtually no match exposure.
Brez must be a very patient guy,'cos he hardly gets a kick from one season to the next!How boring and frustrating is that for a professional sportsman, and all the time the clock is ticking on what is a pretty short career!

D

Deleted member 18477

get brez in the first team! ankergren is dogshit!

I'm guessing that match fitness is a lot less important for a golkeeper than an outfield player. Yes it would be better if he played regularly but goalkeeping is largely about concentration, ability and experience rather then super fitness.

I've see a few fat keepers in my time who have done pretty well!

Also if he doesn't play at least he avoids injury.

And I'm also assuming Gus knows what he is doing.

D

Deleted member 18477

I'm sensing that you are aiming to be the Mr Burns (al a Barnes) of the Ankergran debate.

Will we all be bouncing threads left right and center every time he has a good/bad game?

do as you please. i've tried liking him, i want to like him, i just can't and yes i probably am i tad harsh at times, i just want Brighton to do well like everyone else!

he's dodgey. yes he makes some good saves (that most keepers should make) but more often than not hes dodgey and makes me shit my pants when the ball goes near him. for me he is a keeper that is capable at championship level but only towards the lower end of the table. we want to be mid to upper table!

he'll do for this year (touch wood we stay up) but we have got to get a new keeper if we want to improve as a team.

i know theres plenty of casper lovers out there but i also know im not alone with my opinion.

i personally would like to see Brez given a chance. if he fucks up and casper proves to be the best we have till the end of the season then fair enough.

i'd be AMAZED if casper helped us gain promotion in the future! and if he does then please bounce and i will happily crack some eggs all over my face!

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
do as you please. i've tried liking him, i want to like him, i just can't and yes i probably am i tad harsh at times, i just want Brighton to do well like everyone else!

he's dodgey. yes he makes some good saves (that most keepers should make) but more often than not hes dodgey and makes me shit my pants when the ball goes near him. for me he is a keeper that is capable at championship level but only towards the lower end of the table. we want to be mid to upper table!

he'll do for this year (touch wood we stay up) but we have got to get a new keeper if we want to improve as a team.

i know theres plenty of casper lovers out there but i also know im not alone with my opinion.

i personally would like to see Brez given a chance. if he fucks up and casper proves to be the best we have till the end of the season then fair enough.

i'd be AMAZED if casper helped us gain promotion in the future! and if he does then please bounce and i will happily crack some eggs all over my face!
Super reply - and respect for your measured opinions. KA has certainly had his knockers since he came on board, mostly from the Kuipers love-in brigade. As an ex-pat my view is horribly diluted and somewhat insignificant 'coz I don't get to see the boys enough, but I'd love to see us get to xmas before we start second guessing Gus' choices and the selections he no doubt agonises over.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm guessing that match fitness is a lot less important for a golkeeper than an outfield player. Yes it would be better if he played regularly but goalkeeping is largely about concentration, ability and experience rather then super fitness.

I've see a few fat keepers in my time who have done pretty well!

I don't think his lack of matches is a problem for fitness, I think it's a problem for getting comfortable with the system Gus wants our keepers to play. I remember Ankergren, Elphick and El Abd being quite nervy playing the ball around at the back in the first few games last season, but because they played it so frequently, they all became more comfortable with it. Brezovan hasn't had that chance to get used to it with regular competitive games so when he comes in, he looks worse than he is.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
If Peter does not play for the first team and not for the development squad, where does he get his match practise? Surely this must just as important for a goalkeeper as an outfield player.

Gus has a lot to learn, give him time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here