Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pet hates - fans getting football wrong

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Not sure if you have the wrong end of the stick here or what. But Notts with an S is basically reserved for Notts County. When referring to Forest it's either just Forest or Nottingham Forest. This has nothing to do with abbreviating the name of the club. So it is not the same as Brighton and Hove Albion being called Brighton or Albion or whatever else. It's not the same thing.

Now i understand , i genuinely never knew that , thanks you live and learn .:thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For some reason fans singing 'xx is a shithole, I wanna go home' really winds me up. Especially as much of the away crowd won't have actually spent any time in the town anyway, so won't have the foggiest what it's actually like.

(except when it's sung at Stoke - then it's simply a statement of fact)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When i lived in Hove in the 70s and 80s and this came up ALL of the Hove lads i knew were pissed at it .

Always thought they were posh those Hove (actually) residents :)

I bet they were really fed up with some of our songs.
We are Brighton, super Brighton
Give us a B
Hello, hello we are the Brighton Boys :moo:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Counterpoint: I had one person American person who was apparently confused enough to think that Brighton and Hove Albion were two different teams. So there's that...

Pretty sure I saw an American sports report where they complained that it didn't seem fair that for World Cup Qualifiers the US had to play 2 teams in one day, USA v Trinidad and Tobago.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Counterpoint: I had one person American person who was apparently confused enough to think that Brighton and Hove Albion were two different teams. So there's that...

The way the game at CC went we needed 2 teams . That`s a great point , i am not strong on American sport but , i can`t think of a single team that shares 2 Towns/Cities names ,possibly Twintown`s Minnesota ,is that a thing ?, i was lucky enough to know a lady from that area a very long time ago , so very distracted .:rolleyes:

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Always thought they were posh those Hove (actually) residents :)

I bet they were really fed up with some of our songs.
We are Brighton, super Brighton
Give us a B
Hello, hello we are the Brighton Boys :moo:

We all sang the same songs and it was always excepted but , if it came up in a discussion or we were called Brighton on the box it was called a lack of respect and most definitely frowned upon . It`s a bit ironic really because i have a couple of really good mates don here , both Muff fans , i usually offend them by calling them Mouthbourne , but call them Boscombe and they are all smiles - go figure???

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
When we have completely outplayed a side and got the 3pts only to get back , we gave you 2 easy goals . Reminds me of the great John Motson circa 1970s when he said that would have been a great goal if it had been on target .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fans blaming the loss to Fulham due to not having a recognized striker on the pitch….forgetting the away wins last season not having a recognized striker on the pitch
The games you are referring to last season also included two quality players in the line up we no longer have. Take the ineffective Mwepu out and replace with Bissouma push Mac up the pitch and have the defensive qualities of Cucurella different game.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Especially that vile Zaha one which a sizeable contingent joined in with. Shame on you all.
This with bells on! Aside from the poor performance and result on the field, I would go as far to say that my match experience was pretty unpleasant due to some of our own fans. The row in front of us had about 10 lads in late teens all tanked up and I suspect a couple had been on the marching powder. I would assess that they spent 90% of the time hurling abuse at Fulham fans sat to our right as we were right next to their end and the segregation tarpaulin. What made it more ridiculous was that the demographic of the Fulham fans anywhere near us was all middle aged many with families who weren't remotely interested in responding to our idiots. Two sensible guys in their 30's in the idiots row eventually cracked and politely asked if they could step back into our row and we were happy to accommodate. Aside from the constant volley of abuse and endless wxxker signs they were pushing and shoving and either falling back on us or on the row in front.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not sure if you have the wrong end of the stick here or what. But Notts with an S is basically reserved for Notts County. When referring to Forest it's either just Forest or Nottingham Forest. This has nothing to do with abbreviating the name of the club. So it is not the same as Brighton and Hove Albion being called Brighton or Albion or whatever else. It's not the same thing.

Nah, it's Notts Forest all day long :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here