Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pet deaths

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sad to hear about loss marc. As others have said - just give yourself time & don't be bottling up your emotions. I'm not ashamed to say that I still get upset occassionally about the loss of 2 cats & Dogs that were an integral part of my family life. I've have a bonkers lil' cat now that I rescued - & she's certainly helped to fill the void. I do wish she'd stop savaging my feet at every opportunity though... :lolol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP little lady
our Kizzy died about a month ago of natural causes,she was 21 and still a very feisty cat right up to the end.
we still and always will miss her.

give another dog a home good owners are hard to find these days and I'm sure your little lady would not mind.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Losing a lovely dog is always hard. Give it time and if you still love dogs and think you can give one a good life, go for it. You will end up loving the knew dog in a completely new way and it won't detract from the old pet.

Time, as always, is the cause and the healer.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Labradors are nicer than people.
I'm grieving with you.

Very true. Apart from being gluttons they have an ideal temperament.

One saved my life once, out in New Zealand. Well to be fair he was an Alsation cross but looked like a Lab.

He was the pet of someone I was staying with when I heard my father had died back in england. I was mortified that I wasn't with him at the end - I couldn't even get back in time for the funeral - but "Monty" sort of helped me through it, walks and stuff. A human couldn't do that.

Then a year later some bastard shot him. I was gutted..

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
When I was 12 we had to have our family cat put down. We had had it for 8 years so I asked my mum if i could hold it whilst they put it down.

There I was stroking oddy and crying my eyes out.

The nurse told me that she would inject it and 30 seconds later it would close its eyes and go to sleep.

Well........ She gave it the jab and 2 seconds later it hit his hart and the thing had a massive hart attack.

Claws were out, eyes open and tongue out, it was also stiff as a board!!

Not quite the ending I was hoping for and I was quickly removed from the room as the nurse looked at my mum with very sorry eyes.

Still gets me to this day.

Hope you feel better soon.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I had two cats for about 11 years, 1 got run over and killed and the other had a kidney failure and had to be put down and I wasn't really close to them as much as my dog and I cried alot more!. I got told that it will sink in soon and then I'll start to hurt. It may sound abit sad to some people but it's like losing a family member.

Definately not sad to cry!

My old cat Custard died after 14 long years in Feburary. It was very rapid. One day she just coudln't walk and we wanted to see if she'd make it through the night (we discovered her condition at about 8pm).

It was very obvious she was likely to die so I cried when i said good bye to her that evening. She made it through the night so we took her down to the vet which felt like taking her to death himself. So I cried while I took her. After a 20 minute examination, we were called in and told of the various problems she'd faced for a good few years now, and cried when I was told she was going to eb put down. We said our final good bye and then I cried some more on the way out and home.

She was the runt of a pedigree litter. So she had it against her.

It definatly is losing a family member, and your dogs age means you had her for most of yoru life and all of the life you can remember. its like losing a bit of your childhood

Time heals things but you don't forget and its sad to think about her in a few months time but you smile when you remember the stupid things all pets seem to do.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Sad to hear about loss marc. As others have said - just give yourself time & don't be bottling up your emotions. I'm not ashamed to say that I still get upset occassionally about the loss of 2 cats & Dogs that were an integral part of my family life. I've have a bonkers lil' cat now that I rescued - & she's certainly helped to fill the void. I do wish she'd stop savaging my feet at every opportunity though... :lolol:

Thanks mate. Today the house feels empty and because of that we feel like we need to move house because it's for the best. Yesterday was just a hard day to deal with as the vet told us that he could keep treating her and treating her but she would just get worse and not get any better so it was for the best. A lovely dog that has taken a massive whole out of the family.

Flumpyj

Mar 3, 2009
So sad to hear of your loss,we have lost a couple of cats,old age and run over.As others say time is a healer.We found after a while we had to get another pet because we felt something was just missing from our lives so in came another two cats and they have just taken over the place.We wouldnt be without them now,but still remember the happy times with the pets that have gone.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I've been doing work experience at a vets and had a couple of pets being put down the last two days, I left the room when they happened, but the owners must have felt gutted about it :(

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I've been doing work experience at a vets and had a couple of pets being put down the last two days, I left the room when they happened, but the owners must have felt gutted about it :( Having dogs put down is much harder than cats.

Oooooooooops !!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Many tears ago an ex-girlfriends younger sister was inconsolable after her hamster died. She buried it under a tree in the garden amidst a flood of tears. A friend and I went round later with his Jack Russell not knowing what had gone on that afternoon.......................

Can you guess what happened ?

I can still hear that young girls screems to this very day.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Sorry about you're dog Marc. I personally haven't experienced my pet dying (except when I was about 1 year old) but I now have a cat who I've had for over a year now and we've really bonded. It's like another member of the family is added into the household. You come home and you just expect them to be there. I know I would cry if my cat died tomorrow or something so I feel for you mate.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Oooooooooops !!

sh*t I wish I never said that now :facepalm:

I am just going to shoot myself over here, cats are equally as hard as putting down dogs. Major f*ck up here.

I guess the point is I've lost three cats over the course of my life, as well as seeing the end of two dogs, but what I meant was, I don't think I could EVER bear losing my dog.

Okay I am just going to shut up now and go and burn in hell.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Today I had my dog put down due to old age. She was a 13 year old Labrador ( sorry if spelt wrong ). Had her for 13 years and I managed to cope with it well but still gutted at the same time. Other members in my family have struggled with they're emotions and feel like it's a big hole
in the family gone. How do you cope with losing pets if you have has they for so long?

Sad news Marc, really feel for you. When you lose an animal however long you have had them its sad, they are one of the family, to me its the same as if any of my family weren't around.

My cat died this summer, we discovered he was riddled with cancer, best thing for him was sleep, doesnt make it easier but just reading all the posts shows how people's feelings are in these circumstances and you are not alone. Time is the healer and I hope the coming days/weeks/months are okay for you and the family.

The Border Collie I raised from a small pup passed away of a bad heart murmer back in 2002, and I don't think I ever got over it, or will.
I hope that, despite all the jumble of life's events and characters, when I am relieved from the bounds of time, he'll be there as vivid and brilliant as when we were together in life.

I have changed my avatar, as a tribute to his glorious memory. An absolutely amazing friend, Ringo.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Sad news Marc, really feel for you. When you lose an animal however long you have had them its sad, they are one of the family, to me its the same as if any of my family weren't around.

My cat died this summer, we discovered he was riddled with cancer, best thing for him was sleep, doesnt make it easier but just reading all the posts shows how people's feelings are in these circumstances and you are not alone. Time is the healer and I hope the coming days/weeks/months are okay for you and the family.

Thankyou LB much appreciated. Not easy at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here