[Albion] Pervis Estupiñán - SIGNED - 5 YEAR CONTRACT

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I’ve only seen him play via TV but there have been a few passes/actions that have caused me anxiety. I’m not sure if casual is the right word, but certainly “confident” in situations where the consequences of getting it wrong could have been disastrous.

I’m hopeful that a bit more coaching and greater familiarity with the team will stop those being regular features of his game. A very different proposition to Cucurella from the little I’ve seen.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm a little surprised that he has played so much so soon after signing. The only players I remember doing that were Gross, Maupay and Webster a long time ago at what was then a lower level, and Cucurella more recently.

Biss, Tross, AliMac, Burn, Caicedo, Mwepu and probably others I can't remember all seemed to get introduced far more gradually. I think it looks like we have a good player and absolute bargain, but I'm just unsure about some of his decision making at the moment and think that may take a little longer. The one I remember taking time to settle and making mistakes early on was Biss and he became an absolute monster for us :thumbsup:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I'm a little surprised that he has played so much so soon after signing. The only players I remember doing that were Gross, Maupay and Webster a long time ago at what was then a lower level, and Cucurella more recently.

Biss, Tross, AliMac, Burn, Caicedo, Mwepu and probably others I can't remember all seemed to get introduced far more gradually. I think it looks like we have a good player and absolute bargain, but I'm just unsure about some of his decision making at the moment and think that may take a little longer. The one I remember taking time to settle and making mistakes early on was Biss and he became an absolute monster for us :thumbsup:

Propper was thrown in immediately after Kayal (who was playing the best football of his career) was injured against Atletico.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Perv has had 90+ games in La Liga though so he's played at a very decent level, and he's 24. There's no reason for him NOT to be pitched in, IMO. He's not quite taken to the PL like a duck to water as Cucurella did, but I'm confident GP will soon iron out the creases. He looks to have all the attributes.

Jul 7, 2003
Perv has had 90+ games in La Liga though so he's played at a very decent level, and he's 24. There's no reason for him NOT to be pitched in, IMO. He's not quite taken to the PL like a duck to water as Cucurella did, but I'm confident GP will soon iron out the creases. He looks to have all the attributes.

Totally agree and there is always going to be a little but of trying too hard to make a good impression.

Also, I think many people have either forgotten or are not aware that he does not speak much English and is reliant on the other Spanish speakers to help. Seem to remember that Biss had a similar level of English when he joined and that worked out okay.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Totally agree and there is always going to be a little but of trying too hard to make a good impression.

Also, I think many people have either forgotten or are not aware that he does not speak much English and is reliant on the other Spanish speakers to help. Seem to remember that Biss had a similar level of English when he joined and that worked out okay.

Yeah... too bad Watford is such a sloppy and cheap club and didn't teach him English when they bought him.

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah... too bad Watford is such a sloppy and cheap club and didn't teach him English when they bought him.

I guess it wasn't needed as he hardly spent any time there and they shipped him out on loan to various clubs in Spain while he was with them. Even so, you would have thought they might have tried to get him to learn the language for when he did come back.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

He was the equivalent of a Percy Tau or something for us. Bought, but not eligible for visas so endlessly loaned out to Spain where its much easier for South Americans to get visas - so he never needed English.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

He played in the champs league semi final last year - why wouldn’t he go STRAIGHT into our team?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He was the equivalent of a Percy Tau or something for us. Bought, but not eligible for visas so endlessly loaned out to Spain where its much easier for South Americans to get visas - so he never needed English.

Still, if you're an English club and have any intentions of perhaps using the player at some point, you start to teach them English once the deal is done. Pretty sure Brighton does it differently.. would imagine Ali Mac was getting English lessons pretty much immediatly after signing, despite staying in Argentina.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I mean christ, the lad played in a champions league semi final lats season! made one or two mistakes early on, but so did duffy, so did bissouma, so did mwepu (hauled off at half time on his debut), so did webster, so did ryan (who did alright in the end despite what some say). moved to a new country, had to start learning a new language, should've already got an assist to his name at west ham and looked decent at leeds bar one mental pass. give the lad a f***ing break!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Pervis will be fine and I really don't think he was as horrific as some on here think he was.

He made two or three mistakes, but apart from that he played well and won us the penalty. I'm sure the mistakes can be coached out of him. He's a good player with the clear potential to be an excellent player.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Against Leeds in the first half I thought he looked absolute class. (I was there). Some lovely touches, great passes, and he looked properly on top of his game.

Then, at about 70 minutes, he flipped some kind of internal suicide-switch and made two howlers. GP picked up on it immediately and hooked him off. I wondered if he was just tired and needed more time to adjust to the PL.

Either way I do think there's an absolutely cracking player in there. He just needs work.

Agreed. Was really good against Leeds, then a few issues and wisely brought off. Bissouma was erratic when he joined.
Based on watching on TV at Fulham I thought he had a decent game but made a mistake for the goal. But it's odd that dallying dangerously on the ball means you've had a dreadful game as Webster does it every game and should be in the England squad according to many of our fans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports