[Albion] Pervis Estupiñán - SIGNED - 5 YEAR CONTRACT

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
March is a superb player, one who need games and time to hit his rhythm... his injury was a pretty serious one and with a very decent pre-season behind him, we’re now seeing some top level stuff from our Solly.

He’s under the radar somewhat, which also benefits him, as I think he’s taken lightly on occasion which is a folly... beware the ides of March.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think he's been a revelation this season. He showed the season before last up until his injury that he could do what he has done so far this year. It's more the case that he is back to where he should have been if he hadn't been injured - so let's hope he stays clear of tweaks and sprains!

Some posters are struggling with having to accept their views about Solly were wrong and are slowly turning their rhetoric around.
It will take them a while.

The "no confidence" line is worse than the "lightweight" comments.
It's never been true. He's just a very intelligent footballer.
That's why he is still playing in the Premier League and Knocky (sadly) isn't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some posters are struggling with having to accept their views about Solly were wrong and are slowly turning their rhetoric around.

You're new.

Very few here are ever prepared to admit they are/were wrong.

Much preferring to wait in the weeds until something happens which valid their opinion.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Re Lamptey, in his recent interview Julio Enciso said just how quick he is, too quick to keep up with.

Re his perceived slow down, I wonder if some of that is caused by teams now knowing about him and making it much harder for him to get a run at the full back? When he first burst into the team, he was an unknown quantity and surprised everyone.

I think you're right on this. For me, it's far less that Lamptey has lost pace post-injury, it's far more to do with opponents working out how to counter him. This might be enhanced by the knowledge from watching him play. What Tariq needs to do is to develop other aspects to his game so there's more variety, and opponents have more to think about, and struggle to counteract his strengths as effectively as they currently are.
March deservedly starts in that position ahead of Lamptey at present, but Tariq is doing well enough when coming on in the last third of the game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You're new.

Very few here are ever prepared to admit they are/were wrong.

Much preferring to wait in the weeds until something happens which valid their opinion.

I love Solly and have done ever since he came through a decade ago (see above^ as one example). Yet, I can still recognise his qualities and what he gives to the team while still being utterly frustrated by his goal return: four in five seasons is poor, probably extremely poor, for someone that has played so many minutes, most of which are high up the pitch.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

His numbers are still really shit.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I hope posters are right that Lamps hasn't lost a bit of pace. Since returning from injury, he he seems reluctant to burst past people like he used to do with ease. On occasion it doesn't seem to be due to anything the opponents are doing but rather his choice not to. Hard to tell if that's because he's lost a yard or he's fearful of turning on the afterburners.

If it really were due to the opposition, you'd be surprised if he they could maintain that 100% of the time but I don't remember a recent moment when he left someone in his wake in the traditional Tariq style.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I hope posters are right that Lamps hasn't lost a bit of pace. Since returning from injury, he he seems reluctant to burst past people like he used to do with ease. On occasion it doesn't seem to be due to anything the opponents are doing but rather his choice not to. Hard to tell if that's because he's lost a yard or he's fearful of turning on the afterburners.

If it really were due to the opposition, you'd be surprised if he they could maintain that 100% of the time but I don't remember a recent moment when he left someone in his wake in the traditional Tariq style.

Agreed, sadly.
It's been a long time since I've seen him try

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Lamptey is still incredibly fast, our fastest player comfortably, lets not forget that even if he has dropped a couple of mph.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see this has turned into the Solly March thread!

For me he's always been a good enough footballer but with decision making in the last third on the conservative side. It was easily demonstrable in previous seasons how he would cut in or back and play a five yard pass backwards having over thought a chance.

The run at RWB seems to have given him a confidence and consistency which culminated in the shot that set up the second at United. No hesitancy or backwards play there at all. I'd certainly start him at the moment. Assuming everyone fit and ready I'd like to see:

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster
March Caciedo Lallana Estupinian
Trossard MacAllister
Welbeck

If we're going to play 3-4-3 (ish) with wingbacks. You've then got Mitoma, Lamptey and Undav as impact subs to name but three :eek:

We'll play all kinds of formations I suspect though. Having sold both Biss and Cucurella we could have been in a really tight spot but the squad looks more flexible and deeper, if a little down on skill and experience. Ideal when you consider the five subs and mid-season World Cup.

I'm genuinely happy with the squad and the transfer window at the moment.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

For me he's always been a good enough footballer but with decision making in the last third on the conservative side. It was easily demonstrable in previous seasons how he would cut in or back and play a five yard pass backwards having over thought a chance.

The run at RWB seems to have given him a confidence and consistency which culminated in the shot that set up the second at United. No hesitancy or backwards play there at all. I'd certainly start him at the moment. Assuming everyone fit and ready I'd like to see:

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster
Trossard MacAllister
Welbeck

If we're going to play 3-4-3 (ish) with wingbacks. You've then got Mitoma, Lamptey and Undav as impact subs to name but three :eek:

We'll play all kinds of formations I suspect though. Having sold both Biss and Cucurella we could have been in a really tight spot but the squad looks more flexible and deeper, if a little down on skill and experience. Ideal when you consider the five subs and mid-season World Cup.

He also gives us the option of a (flexible) 4-4-2 which could look something like this

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster Estupinan
March Caicedo MacAllister Trossard
Welbeck Undav

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Didn't he do it against Man Utd?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster
Trossard MacAllister
Welbeck

I wouldn't have said this a year ago but, great team, although Gross has to start ahead of Lallana.
In terms of March, playing on the right seems to open up more options for him, in that he's better at going either way: getting to the byline, or cutting inside opening things up on his left foot.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agreed, sadly.
It's been a long time since I've seen him try

Unusually, I disagree with you both. I still think it's that defenders have worked out how to counteract Tariq's turbo-pace, rather than him losing some.
The contest between him and Burn was brief but brilliant on Saturday, and BDB was sh!t-scared about his opponent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports