Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Percy Tau

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Bummer, really hoped he'd step up and do well. Comes across as a very decent and hard-working guy, just like Ali J. In a wold full of asshats it would've been nice to see them both succeed in the PL. Wish them all the best in the future.

(Now I'm talking as if this is a done deal, guess we'll find out shortly).

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, plenty of rumours rumbling round t'internet. Last year of his contract, so a one year loan and he'll be off for nothing, apart from presumably a loan fee. A gamble worth taking - as with Jahanbakhsh it raised our profile in a country where previously probably most people had never heard of us. Not that we'll be too popular with either lot on Tw@tter at the moment though, I would guess!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not disagreeing.

But he played well in his fleeting cameos.

Disagree. Thought he looked lightweight and not going to make it in the PL now.

His former Sundowns coach is the coach at Al Ahly so you can see why they want him. Tau will earn £3.5m from the deal and be the big fish in a very small pond, can see the attraction all around.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is it just me that is surprised we've let so many wide players go in this window without similar incoming? Ali J, Izquierdo gone, Tau going and just Sarmiento in.

I'm not a big Tau fan but he had an impact in our friendly win vs Luton, scoring a great goal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is it just me that is surprised we've let so many wide players go in this window without similar incoming? Ali J, Izquierdo gone, Tau going and just Sarmiento in.

I'm not a big Tau fan but he had an impact in our friendly win vs Luton, scoring a great goal.

No. Potter often plays centre backs and centre midfielders on the flanks.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

We’re still pursuing that Japanese winger, no? I see what you’re saying though. Assume our width will come from wingbacks or fullbacks if we set up similar to preseason with a 4-4-2 diamond.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not disagreeing.

But he played well in his fleeting cameos.

Agree VB, definitely got something, there were flashes of a decent creative player, but unfortunately, not consistently. Another in the Ali J mould...... Great guy, pretty decent, just not quite at the required levels for the PL, but not far off.

But Wheras Ali J has now gone to a club and level that should see the best of his undoubted talent, really not sure about Tau's move..... He's a lot better than the Egyptian league. He was decent Belgium and he could've found a club in a much better league imho.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't believe a Championship club wouldn't take him on loan. Seems an odd decision to me, like he's just given up on the idea of being a Premier League footballer. Although I just read that he'll earn £3.5 million from the deal, so I guess that softens the blow a bit.

I don't know why we bothered playing him in pre-season friendlies now.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Seeing as those 3 players listed started just 7 games between them last season (AJ 6, Tau 1) and 18 sub appearances (AJ 15, Tau 2, Izzy 1) it's not like we've lost players who were regularly playing for us. Our clear out has been of fringe players (apart from White) which frees space in the squad for some of our promising youngsters to take up those roles next season and gives them a chance to kick on.

Potter seems to favour the wing back over the traditional winger, even with a back 4 against Luton it was still the full backs trying to provide width with the midfield being made up of 4 central midfielders playing in a diamond which allowed for cover when the full backs pushed forward.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We’ve made a few but this is one of the most pointless Albion signings ever.

I am not sure I agree. It is reported we signed him for £2.7m, most of the time he was 'here', his wages were presumably paid by the loanee clubs. We are selling for a reported €6m (which is roughly £5m).

We may may a small profit on his time here. So it has been a (possibly) self-funding signing, with minimal risk. Yes, it didn't work out for him as a first team player, but given the low risk, it was worth trying.

On top of this, buying and selling players that never actually play for the first team is a way to generate cash for the club - Man City appear to have this business model nailed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can't believe a Championship club wouldn't take him on loan. Seems an odd decision to me, like he's just given up on the idea of being a Premier League footballer. Although I just read that he'll earn £3.5 million from the deal, so I guess that softens the blow a bit.

But he's gone to a much bigger club in better competitions don't you know!

[tweet]1423543643365953536[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Seeing as those 3 players listed started just 7 games between them last season (AJ 6, Tau 1) and 18 sub appearances (AJ 15, Tau 2, Izzy 1) it's not like we've lost players who were regularly playing for us. Our clear out has been of fringe players (apart from White) which frees space in the squad for some of our promising youngsters to take up those roles next season and gives them a chance to kick on.

Potter seems to favour the wing back over the traditional winger, even with a back 4 against Luton it was still the full backs trying to provide width with the midfield being made up of 4 central midfielders playing in a diamond which allowed for cover when the full backs pushed forward.

All three are now fit, which wasn't always the case last season. You wouldn't have expected any of those 3 to have started many matches but it is all about options, exploiting a tiring full-back or someone who is on a yellow, the ability to produce a bit of solo trickery and guile.

For squad balance I think we need to land the Japanese guy or Velasco.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I don't understand why a loan to the Championship seems to be the 'go to' solution offered by so many on NSC. All seems a bit 'off the shelf' rather than what's best for player or club. Our Percy is a South African superstar who has tasted winning leagues and European football. He clearly hadn't given up on the idea of being a Premier League footballer when Potter said he'd rather not go to the Olympics and preferred to integrate with Brighton pre-season, hence the pre-season friendlies. This move came out of the blue and, reading between the lines could be tailor made for him, both financially and with a manager who has faith and has pursued him. Plus the chance to play for the Man City of the Egyptian league. Probably slightly more appealing than most Championship clubs. Mind you, conflicting reports about loan or full transfer, so not sure who's making up what. I'll wait till it's on the club website or the back of The Argus before worrying about the loss of Tau.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Possibly is just you - or a minority anyway. All three weren't good enough (Izzy was once, but not now) and in Potter's time we haven't really played with out and out wingers - the width has come from the WBs/FBs and a flexible front three, where one or more are often coming in from quite wide positions.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It all seems such a shame really, we invested so much time, if not cash, in not only signing Percy Tau, but then loaning him out to a club in Belgium for a couple of years, whilst we waited for him to be garnted a work permit before he could enter the country.

Then just a single season later, with seemingly very few chances to show his worth on the pitch, he is being let go. We had few enough forward options as it was, now we have one less.

Still who am l to complain? the club knows what it's doing . . . presumably.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't understand why a loan to the Championship seems to be the 'go to' solution offered by so many on NSC. All seems a bit 'off the shelf' rather than what's best for player or club. Our Percy is a South African superstar who has tasted winning leagues and European football. He clearly hadn't given up on the idea of being a Premier League footballer when Potter said he'd rather not go to the Olympics and preferred to integrate with Brighton pre-season, hence the pre-season friendlies. This move came out of the blue and, reading between the lines could be tailor made for him, both financially and with a manager who has faith and has pursued him. Plus the chance to play for the Man City of the Egyptian league. Probably slightly more appealing than most Championship clubs. Mind you, conflicting reports about loan or full transfer, so not sure who's making up what. I'll wait till it's on the club website or the back of The Argus before worrying about the loss of Tau.

He's clearly given up on the idea now though. What's more likely to give him a route to be a Premier League footballer, a loan to a decent Championship club or playing in Egypt? The reason a loan to the Championship is the 'go to' solution is because it's the perfect place to allow players to get used to the physicality of the Premier League, without the pace of it. It's a great place for players to toughen up and prepare themselves for the Premier League. Smashing teams and winning the league easily in Egypt isn't going to do that. I also can't see the attraction of playing there, when half the time they're not even allowed fans in the stadiums. But then I guess I'm not from Africa.

He's basically given up on being a top flight footballer and taken the money. That's fine, I can understand that, I expect it's a far easier life. But maybe that attitude is why he wasn't quite good enough to make it with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here