Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People riding bikes on the pavement

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Why is it that people insist on doing this? I am not talking about little children but adults. Was out with the children earlier and some prick on a bike was riding on the pavement and run right in to my 5 y/o daughter. If it was not for the fact I was more concerned with her wellbeing he would have been in the bike repair shop now getting his frame straightend out.

If you are not brave enough to ride on the road then you should not be allowed on a bike. That is all.

Oh and if you are live in Eastbourne, ride a bike and knocked over a little girl this morning, then yes she is alright now, not that you bothered to ask at the time.:censored:

Rant over

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
seconded - bikes on pavements is a joke

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
kids should be locked up in their rooms not freely running around on pavements :angry:

:jester:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wardywonderland said:
Why is it that people insist on doing this? I am not talking about little children but adults. Was out with the children earlier and some prick on a bike was riding on the pavement and run right in to my 5 y/o daughter. If it was not for the fact I was more concerned with her wellbeing he would have been in the bike repair shop now getting his frame straightend out.

If you are not brave enough to ride on the road then you should not be allowed on a bike. That is all.

Oh and if you are live in Eastbourne, ride a bike and knocked over a little girl this morning, then yes she is alright now, not that you bothered to ask at the time.:censored:

Rant over

Yep, couldn't agree more. Glad your daughter is okay but it must have been very frightening for her. I hope you bought her a big ice cream.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Marc said:
kids should be locked up in their rooms not freely running around on pavements :angry:

:jester:

I know that you said that in jest, but if she was running around then I could have understood it, the fact was she was holding my hand at the time.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I am a cyclist myself but I totaly agree with you. What really annoys me is when there is a cycle lane in the road and they still go on the pavement. :angry:

As I said I use my bike alot and the majority of cycists are fine but this just gets on my neves. when im on the pavement with my bike I get off and push.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have just taken to up cycling again after a year or so break and loving it.

Mini cycled 5 miles today on the pavement and another two mile round trip to a party to do.

Kids should stay on the pavements as drivers are very poor with cyclists these days.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Most pavements have cycle lanes these days anyway.

Plus it's dangerous cycling in the roads especially the way some people drive.

Maybe so but pavements are for pedestrians so if its too dangerous to cycle just dismount and walk. Its actually an offence to cycle on the pavement and I saw somebody get done for it this year. What annoys most people are the cyclists who expect pedestrians to get out of their way.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Beach Hut said:
I have just taken to up cycling again after a year or so break and loving it.

Mini cycled 5 miles today on the pavement and another two mile round trip to a party to do.

Kids should stay on the pavements as drivers are very poor with cyclists these days.

I have no problem with children riding on the pavement, unless it is busy. This guy was in his mid twentys though.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:

Plus it's dangerous cycling in the roads especially the way some people drive.

As long as you use common sense and follow the highway code you'll be safe.

As a cyclist I agree about the pavement thing and that all cyclists should stop at red lights. Actually had another cyclist behind me moan at me for stopping at a red light at the The Drive/Cromwell Road traffic lights the other day (he couldn't get round me due to a bus).

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
I cycle on the pavement only when it is free, if not i go on the road or push it

Hope ur daughters fine

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
people who ride bikes are ****s and should learn to drive

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kaney said:
people who ride bikes are ****s and should learn to drive

Can't I do both?

Theatre of Trees said:
As long as you use common sense and follow the highway code you'll be safe.

There are times though when a cycle lane runs past a turning (like Lewes Road) and motorists just cut across without checking their mirrors, twice now I've nearly seen cyclists knocked off their bikes there.

Seagull Stew

I think the problem is that because we are all being encouraged to cycle as much as possible these days because it helps the environment, keeps us fit and healthy etc; alot of cyclists now have a "moral high ground" complex and this leads to arrogance among a minority of them.

This problem is becoming so bad in London that you simply cannot walk on a pavement, or especially the Thames pathway without having to look behind you when you change direction.

I don't have a problem with cyclists using the pavements as long as they respect that it is there for pedestrians first and foremost and act responsibly rather than just plough through a crowd ringing their bell and expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.

Unfortunately, the minority are spoiling it for the majority of cyclists who are responsible and therefore in my opinion, cyclists should not be allowed on the pavement.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Another example of our country being SHIT with something like BIKES?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
In Amsterdam there are more bikes on the road then cars and they seem to live in perfect harmony with the motorists and trams too!

Yes there's a good reason why so many people ride bikes in Holland, IT'S FLAT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here