Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalty?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Couldn't see another thread on this but MOTD2 all believed it was a handball.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Couldn't see another thread on this but MOTD2 all believed it was a handball.
Interestingly the short Sky Sports highlights on YouTube focused on it.

IMG_2633.png

It would’ve been very harsh. Never a penalty in my view.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In the replay on MotD2 you can see that his arm is away from his body and moves towards the ball.
Under the current rules, it was clearly a penalty.
The fact it "would have been harsh" is ignoring the fact that the current interpretation of the laws is extremely harsh.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Indeed.
MotD2 didn't fall back on the "I've seen 'em given" cop out.
They all agreed we had been hard done by.
When you watch the clip a few times at 0.25 speed (as I did to get the screenshot) he doesn’t move his arm towards the ball, he just jumps to block the cross. It was never a penalty.

The problem is Dunk’s one against us was very soft and never should’ve been given either, so fans, pundits and - crucially - referees have no idea what the actual law is any more anyway.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When you watch the clip a few times at 0.25 speed (as I did to get the screenshot) he doesn’t move his arm towards the ball, he just jumps to block the cross. It was never a penalty.

The problem is Dunk’s one against us was very soft and never should’ve been given either, so fans, pundits and - crucially - referees have no idea what the actual law is any more anyway.
OK but he jumps with his arm out.
It wasn't given because he had "his arm tucked in" which is frankly, bolleaux.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interestingly the short Sky Sports highlights on YouTube focused on it.

View attachment 169763

It would’ve been very harsh. Never a penalty in my view.
Penalty every day. Not even a glancing blow, like some that have been given for merely brushing the arm as it went past. This was a hard elbow which cleared the ball away from a danger area direct to one of his fellow defenders - a really good pass, in fact!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Penalty every day. Not even a glancing blow, like some that have been given for merely brushing the arm as it went pasr. This was a hard elbow which cleared the ball away from a danger area direct to one of his fellow defenders - a really good pass, in fact!
Good point!

Similar to the one not given against Brentford last season, the handball actively interferes with the game, by preventing a targeted cross.
Sorry that it wasn't deliberate etc etc, but blocking a cross with your hand - is handball, and always should be.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In the replay on MotD2 you can see that his arm is away from his body and moves towards the ball.
Under the current rules, it was clearly a penalty.
The fact it "would have been harsh" is ignoring the fact that the current interpretation of the laws is extremely harsh.
This is the correct answer.

People might see it as unbelievably harsh, but it ticks all the very clear criteria for a handball under the current laws.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here