Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty shootouts - a BRILLIANT alternative...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit of an old chestnut to kick around I know, but what the hell. I'm bored. I was having this discussion with some FRIENDS of mine (real ones, honest), and one of them piped up with what I reckon is an EXCELLENT alternative to penalties to decide a game. I heard something similar again on the radio the other day as well, and it is thus:

If the match ends up a draw, then both teams have a penalty shootout (including sudden death if necessary) BEFORE the commencement of 30 minutes extra time. The winners of the penalty shootout then carrie an ADVANTAGE into extra time. If there are no further goals during extra time, or if it ends up level (1-1 or whatever), then the team that won the penalty shootout goes through courtesy of their advantage. However, if the team that LOST the penalty shootout then scores during extra time, and ends up a goal in the lead at the end of extra time, then THEY go through (courtesy of their goal).

Perfect. No matter what happens during extra time, the match cannot end up level. Someone will either go through courtesy of having won the shootout, or courtesy of having outscored the other team during extra time. The game is STILL on a knife-edge all the way through extra time, and could still easily go either way with both teams having it all to play for, instead of just running down time to the almost inevitable shootout you get at the moment. Its GENIUS.

What ?
Whats wrong with it ?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Having players standing around for up to 20 mins after a match then getting them to play for another 30 is just an invitation for injury.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well they'll have to jog round the pitch during it then, won't they.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The team that won the shoot-out will pull ten players behind the ball and spend 30 minutes time-wasting: it would be a sorry spectacle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The team that won the shoot-out will pull ten players behind the ball and spend 30 minutes time-wasting: it would be a sorry spectacle.

Risky though - the other team have nothing to lose and willl go ALL OUT to batter them. It would make for a TREMENDOUS spectacle.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I still dont think its a great idea, could you imagine how Italy would react to winning it? 8 men behind the ball.

Also it would eliminate more upsets in the Cups in this country.

How many non league sides could beat League sides if they lost a shootout?

Who wants to spend 90mins + shootout + 30mins extra time + 2 half times and all the breaks between the 3 seperate events sat at a football stadium? Would take forever. And what would you gain anyway? Let's face it Easy, it's a SHITHOUSE idea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really it would just be like silver goal or golden goal - which didnt work

Golden / silver goal didn't work because most of the time BOTH teams were terrified of going forward to get a goal and leaving themselves susceptible to a disastrous break. More often than not, they'd both mentally settled for pens before a ball had been kicked in Extra Time.

This way, the "fallback" of a penalty shootout at the end is completely removed. For one team at least, its half an hour of do-or-die care to the wind football to get that goal they need. And if they DO get it, then the positions are completely reversed.

This just gets better and better the more I think about it. The positives FAR outweigh the negs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who wants to spend 90mins + shootout + 30mins extra time + 2 half times and all the breaks between the 3 seperate events sat at a football stadium? Would take forever. And what would you gain anyway? Let's face it Easy, it's a SHITHOUSE idea.

It would take no longer than the current way. You're just swapping when the pens and ET are done, thats all.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Golden / silver goal didn't work because most of the time BOTH teams were terrified of going forward to get a goal and leaving themselves susceptible to a disastrous break. More often than not, they'd both mentally settled for pens before a ball had been kicked in Extra Time.

This way, the "fallback" of a penalty shootout at the end is completely removed. For one team at least, its half an hour of do-or-die care to the wind football to get that goal they need. And if they DO get it, then the positions are completely reversed.

This just gets better and better the more I think about it. The positives FAR outweigh the negs.

But smaller teams use the fallback of a penalty shootout to win, For someone who was sticking up for smaller clubs yesterday im shocked you agree with this idea.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It would take no longer than the current way. You're just swapping when the pens and ET are done, thats all.

It would take longer because you are doing something that might not be needed.

Having a shootout at the end of every tie that needed one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But smaller teams use the fallback of a penalty shootout to win, For someone who was sticking up for smaller clubs yesterday im shocked you agree with this idea.
I don't see why it hands an advantage to the "bigger" team. Its the same for both - 120 minutes of football to decide the result, this doesn't alter anything in that respect.

It would take longer because you are doing something that might not be needed.

Having a shootout at the end of every tie that needed one.

Christ, do you have to get home for Lenny Henry then, or something ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't see why it hands an advantage to the "bigger" team. Its the same for both - 120 minutes of football to decide the result, this doesn't alter anything in that respect.

Christ, do you have to get home for Lenny Henry then, or something ?

But it will become tedious after a while, no?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I love penalty shoot outs (they're a great leveller) and this idea would rip all the tension out of them. In a Duncan Bannatyne voice: "I'm out".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here