Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty shootout ends

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It was apparently mentioned on Sky last night (and Insider has confirmed it when asked in Ask the Club) that the penalty shootout end was decided by the police. Am I the only one who thinks that is ludicrous.

On what grounds have they decided to do that (I know they will say safety but in reality)? All they did was give Luton a major advantage in the shootout, sounds a bit iffy to me. Was it the local police who decided to hand a huge advantage to their local team?

They may have won the toss and had it up their end and we may have lost even down our end but at least give us a chance.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
They made that decision because it was safer for the players to be closest to the home end when the shootout ended. This put them in a position where they were closer to the tunnel to escape from the thousand or so luton fans that invaded the pitch....oh....In all seriousness I dont think we would have pitch invaded had we won the penalty shootout,would love to know who made the decision and what the justification was.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
We really are starting to sound desperate now. 1st the ref & now the Luton police have prevented us going to wembley. Nothing to do with performances over 2 legs then?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
They made that decision because it was safer for the players to be closest to the home end when the shootout ended. This put them in a position where they were closer to the tunnel to escape from the thousand or so luton fans that invaded the pitch....oh....In all seriousness I dont think we would have pitch invaded had we won the penalty shootout,would love to know who made the decision and what the justification was.

Ironically, they were closer to the tunnel up our end! You are right I am sure player safety will be their excuse but they won't go into detail. The question I would ask is are they a Luton fan?

I think there is an argument that the away team should choose the ends for penalty shootouts but at the very least it should be a random toss of a coin.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We really are starting to sound desperate now. 1st the ref & now the Luton police have prevented us going to wembley. Nothing to do with performances over 2 legs then?

Did I say that. We were poor over two legs but that is irrelevant in penalties. However, the end is relevant. All I said was it should have been a toss of a coin which we could easily have lost.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Did I say that. We were poor over two legs but that is irrelevant in penalties. However, the end is relevant. All I said was it should have been a toss of a coin which we could easily have lost.

Don't let Kuipers toss the coin, he'd probably have dropped it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here