• Penalty

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • Cheating Bernardo

Votes: 149 83.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just watching MOTD and quite clearly not a clear and obvious error on initially not giving the Bernardo penalty. On the slow motion he clearly hangs his leg out to get the contact.

Now here's the perhaps more controversial view on the Haaland one that the majority think was a penalty. I think the ref and VAR actually got this right. I think Sanchez foot fractionally misses Haaland's ankle and actually lands behind his heel. On MOTD Danny Murphy tries to focus on the close up frozen picture of Sanchez's supposedly touching the ankle. However, now unless they have a better camera for VAR and it's just the rubbish MOTD focus is there not the for shortening issue that they have in cricket for judging if catches carry? You can't with 100% accuracy say he did touch the ankle and look how Haaland turns his ankle to impact the ground.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Silva left his leg in and conned the ref and all the supposed expert VAR scrutinisers too, who should be ashamed and embarrassed that they fell for it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Penalties, according to the law, are given for tripping an opponent. The only question is whether, if a forward sees a leg 2dangling" so runs into it and throws himself on the floor, he can really be said to have been tripped. Many (including me) would say he ended up on the floor because that's where he wanted to be, he wasn't tripped.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Penalties, according to the law, are given for tripping an opponent. The only question is whether, if a forward sees a leg 2dangling" so runs into it and throws himself on the floor, he can really be said to have been tripped. Many (including me) would say he ended up on the floor because that's where he wanted to be, he wasn't tripped.
Seem to remember Vardy getting booked for trying the same trick, VAR fail & now rewarding divers.

Jimmy Grimble

What is Sanchez’s record on penalties now? He’s never saved one has he?

Jimmy Grimble

4 saved 19 conceded... so around 20% save rate if my limited morning math skills are doing their job. Not great but not far from average.
Were the saves during loan spells or in shootouts? I can’t recall him saving one in a Brighton shirt.

Mr Moofo

Aug 29, 2015
Yes for me. Bernardo makes the most of it, but the leg is hanging out there, blocking his path.

Should VAR have given it is another question. According to the guardian live feed:

Penalty for Manchester City!

There’s a lengthy, protracted VAR check going on at the Etihad Stadium after an apparent foul by Lewis Dunk on Bernardo Silva. That’s a weird one – there was a VAR check, play resumed and then paused again so the VAR check could be resumed. Dunk is adjudged to have fouled the Manchester City man.​

If there was a check and play resumed, why did they go back to it?
I didn't realise that the game had changed into Ruby Union, where the decision could be taken back to the "advantage" position. I saw the Bernado "trip" - where "live' it looked like he stuck out a leg and dived. The game then resumed ... only after about 3 minutes to go back to the penalty decision. Shit VAR-ing all around

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's a big question needs answering there.

Same with the Gross booking.
And another point. Are the linesmen/women being instructed to raise their flag for offside in every situation where there's a yard involved?

See Everton's second goal and the dying minutes open goal break by Forest when Liverpool's keeper is still in the Forest box.
In both incidents the players were miles onside, yet the flag was raised and VAR then had a look.

VAR is still ruining our game. More so than ever.

Edit: VAR didn't check the one at Forest, but would have done had it gone in and not hit the post.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Two saves for Rochdale and two saves for Brighton (vs City in 20/21 and Everton in 21/22).

Seven conceded penalities in the PL, two saved.
I’m pretty sure they were both missed rather than Sanchez saves.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And another point. Are the linesmen/women being instructed to raise their flag for offside in every situation where there's a yard involved?

See Everton's second goal and the dying minutes open goal break by Forest when Liverpool's keeper is still in the Forest box.
In both incidents the players were miles onside, yet the flag was raised and VAR then had a look.

VAR is still ruining our game. More so than ever.
The Liverpool/Forest one wasn't onside. It wasn't even close. There needs to be two defending players between the goal and the attacker when the ball is played. Usually it's the keeper and one defender, but as you say Alisson was in the Forest half, so for him to be onside there needs to be two defenders between the forest attacker and the goal. There was only one Liverpool player in their half when the ball was played. It's so clear an offside there was no reason for the assistant to not flag straight away.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Liverpool/Forest one wasn't onside. It wasn't even close. There needs to be two defending players between the goal and the attacker when the ball is played. Usually it's the keeper and one defender, but as you say Alisson was in the Forest half, so for him to be onside there needs to be two defenders between the forest attacker and the goal. There was only one Liverpool player in their half when the ball was played. It's so clear an offside there was no reason for the assistant to not flag straight away.
Indeed it was all kinds of offside. Would have been ruled out. Tbf very unusual situation and I don't think many in the heat of the moment thought of it as offside since it is so deeply ingrained that the goalie is in... the goal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’m pretty sure they were both missed rather than Sanchez saves.
I don't remember a Sanchez PL penalty save either. But, then again, I don't remember those Everton and City penalties. I like Sanchez but have to say that he could improve on penalties. Yesterday was a case in point, he decided to go one way (the right way is it transpired) but didn't go for it. He might have had a chance of saving it if he'd committed himself.

Jimmy Grimble

I dont remember them tbf so you may be right.
Yeah they were both blazed over the bar. So in the Premier League his record is:

9 faced
2 missed
0 saved
7 scored

I don’t think Maty Ryan’s record was much better. 2 saved out of 17 a quick Google shows (they were definitely saved rather than missed).

26 penalties against us in the Prem and 22 scored. That works out as 15-16% missed or saved, which from another quick google appears to be a bit below par.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here