• Cheating Bernardo

Votes: 149 83.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah they were both blazed over the bar. So in the Premier League his record is:

9 faced
2 missed
0 saved
7 scored

I don’t think Maty Ryan’s record was much better. 2 saved out of 17 a quick Google shows (they were definitely saved rather than missed).

26 penalties against us in the Prem and 22 scored. That works out as 15-16% missed or saved, which from another quick google appears to be a bit below par.
Its a bit below par yes. More things to take into account though: if you are leading a game you statistically have close to a 90% chance of scoring from a penalty, while if you're trailing you have about a 60% chance of scoring - all psychology.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Two saves for Rochdale and two saves for Brighton (vs City in 20/21 and Everton in 21/22).

Seven conceded penalities in the PL, two saved.
Sanchez didn't save either of the penalties against City or Everton. Sterling and Calvert-Lewin both blazed over the bar, they go down as misses rather than saves.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Soft penalty. Minimal contact but asking for trouble.

Would there be an issue if it had been the other way round, and we been given a similar one?

Jimmy Grimble

Its a bit below par yes. More things to take into account though: if you are leading a game you statistically have close to a 90% chance of scoring from a penalty, while if you're trailing you have about a 60% chance of scoring - all psychology.
Didn’t know that. 5 of the 7 Sanchez has conceded the opposition were already winning. The other 2 the games were still level.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Liverpool/Forest one wasn't onside. It wasn't even close. There needs to be two defending players between the goal and the attacker when the ball is played. Usually it's the keeper and one defender, but as you say Alisson was in the Forest half, so for him to be onside there needs to be two defenders between the forest attacker and the goal. There was only one Liverpool player in their half when the ball was played. It's so clear an offside there was no reason for the assistant to not flag straight away.
Doh! :dunce:

My apologies. You're spot on. Caught me out there.

Swansman sums it up. At the time of watching totally forgot about the keeper being the second player as it's so ingrained that the keeper is always there.

Still begs the same question on VAR for the Everton goal though. Gordon was miles onside.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Still begs the same question on VAR for the Everton goal though. Gordon was miles onside.
VAR gets involved with the Gordon goal because the assistant ref flagged for offside to disallow it. The only person to blame there is the lino for the erroneous flag, VAR did what it's meant to do for once.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
VAR gets involved with the Gordon goal because the assistant ref flagged for offside to disallow it. The only person to blame there is the lino for the erroneous flag, VAR did what it's meant to do for once.
My point is are the linos being instructed to 'flag anyway' so VAR can have a look and give the final say? Gordon was easily onside. It was no where near marginal, so why is the lino flagging?

It's getting to the point where there's so much VAR involvement there almost no point in the ref and linos being there (hyperbole on my part, obviously).

I lost count of the number of 'check complete' moments in our recent game against Brentford for example.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My point is are the linos being instructed to 'flag anyway' so VAR can have a look and give the final say? Gordon was easily onside. It was no where near marginal, so why is the lino flagging?
I don't think so. VAR will review a goal regardless, but they can only do that if the ball is in play when the goal is scored. If a whistle goes before the ball is in the goal because the lino flagged, play is dead and the goal can't stand.

Consequently, the only instruction for offsides is if there is a goal scoring opportunity to wait until it has passed before flagging (either 'scored', or the chance to score has gone). That way they can review it with VAR and give the goal or not depending on the offside.

In answer to your question, the lino flagged because he made a mistake.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

It's getting to the point where there's so much VAR involvement there almost no point in the ref and linos being there (hyperbole on my part, obviously).

I lost count of the number of 'check complete' moments in our recent game against Brentford for example.
I think the lino just got it wrong, they were meant to raise their flag after the phase of play has been completed if they believe the player was offside. I'm not sure if that's still the instructions now but if they flag early before the goal is scored and the ref stops play then mistakes cannot be checked.

I think in this case the lino was clueless as to Gordon's position as he scored after the keeper had made a save and he wasn't sure where the player was when the shot was made so raised his flag.

VAR checks all goals anyway, a lot of the time in the background without anyone knowing about as there is nothing to check beyond a cursory glance at the screen to make sure everyone was onside etc. That is what would have happened if the lino hadn't got it wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here