Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pele RIP

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mexico 1970, I was 10 years old, watching a black & white TV, couldn't remember much about the 1966 World Cup but suddenly saw this bunch of Brazilians playing everyone off the park. Surely not us though?

England vs.Brazil still my favourite ever game of football. You just knew that the winner of this game would take the Cup. Bobby Moore was magnificent but Pele won it for Brazil. Should have been 2-0 to them but for that save!

Only George Best has approached him in my years of watching.
Good of you not to remind everyone of the Jeff Astle miss at 0-0.
A great game regardless.

It was at this World Cup that I remember Pele trying to score from his own half, and only just putting the ball wide with the keeper floundering. First time I had seen that attempted.

Wonderful memories for all those that were fortunate to see Pele play, even if only via the TV.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In my opinion only 2 men have completely transcended their respective sports to rise up to another level and become true global icons, in the days long before multimedia television and the www. Muhammad Ali, and Pele.

I am looking forward to viewing the documentaries celebrating his genius and his life. May he RIP.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Will there ever be a better player? RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What an absolutely horrible year, we have suffered the loss of so many wonderful people..its an absolute tragedy... a sportsman, role model, hero and icon has left us.

RIP Pele.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A genius on the pitch but a class act off of it.

At the end of the Brazil vs England game in 1970 he embraced Bobby Moore and immediately said “You no thief Bobby” in reference to the stitch up in Colombia. ❤️

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That very rare combination - a genius in his field, but a humble decent human being. That post match picture with Bobby Moore in 1970 says it all!!

RIP
They were great friends. He said Bobby was one of the best he played against.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
So sad to hear of Pele's death. To me he was the greatest footballer ever - I can remember as a young boy watching Mexico 1970 and wanting to be like him.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Before Pele there was football, after Pele there was the beautiful game. The dictionary definition of a legend, this has been a sad day for football but also an opportunity to reflect on the joy it brings to us all. RIP Pele a football eternal!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I watched the movie about him just the other day - he pioneered the flabouyant way Brazil play - the Ginga style, at a time when the Brazil FA were tryiing to coach it out of them, the phrase 'the beautiful game' was born as a reference to him.

Many will debate who the GOAT, but as a pioneer and influence he wins hands down, and 3 world cups out of 4 is astonishing, in any era. He turned Brazil from a 2nd rate football nation into the greatest ever

RIP

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Fantastic player, before my time but the tales, footage and statistics speak for themselves
RIP legend
Mate, watch the film - birth of a legend. He honed his skills without having a football an couldn't afford boots. To emerge out of nowhere to winning the world cup virtually single handedly at 17 years of age. He was several levels above anyone else at the time

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Mate, watch the film - birth of a legend. He honed his skills without having a football an couldn't afford boots. To emerge out of nowhere to winning the world cup virtually single handedly at 17 years of age. He was several levels above anyone else at the time
I recently watched the Maradona documentary and loved it so will make it a priority. Cheers.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
There's plenty of tributes to a great player and gentleman, but for me it's the Pele dummy as a stand out moment, you simply cannot teach that. So thank you and may you R-i-P.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here