Pearson, Dyche, Redknapp, Davies, Adkins, Mclaren, McCarthy.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
People are fickle.

Not KevTheRev. He's just a prat.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He represented Southern Ireland which is not

Not when it's the Republic of Ireland, No.

Not Andy Naylor is right - The Irish are not British BUT the Republic is still part of the British Isles, as this is a geographical term. It's also fair to say that the Republic of Ireland fits comfortably under a British sphere of influence when it comes to sport.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not Andy Naylor is right - The Irish are not British BUT the Republic is still part of the British Isles, as this is a geographical term. It's also fair to say that the Republic of Ireland fits comfortably under a British sphere of influence when it comes to sport.

Thank you for correcting us. I am still sure that most Irishmen would react negatively to being called British. How on earth do you figure "Ireland fits comfortably under a British sphere of influence when it comes to sport."?

Jimmy Grimble

We need the negative thumb button back.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thank you for correcting us. I am still sure that most Irishmen would react negatively to being called British. How on earth do you figure "Ireland fits comfortably under a British sphere of influence when it comes to sport."?

I didn't say the Irish were British. They're not. But the republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles - that's an indisputable geographic fact, mate. And my "sphere of influence" comment was made to explain things like playing styles and general sporting preferences. So as well as their own GAA, the Irish play football, rugby, golf, horse racing etc with as much enthusiasm as the rest of the British Isles. They don't play handball, ice hockey or baseball - and their style of soccer is broadly similar to our own, which is unsurprising considering most of their professional players start at a British football club.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
In the last five full seasons 9 teams out of 120 have finished the season with a manager who is not British or Irish. (7.5%)

Of these one was promoted, one was relegated, the other seven all finished in the top half.

Last year there were only two 'foreign' managers and they finished third and fourth.

These facts tell us one thing:

There is nowhere near enough data available to make a comparison which would be worth anything in statistical terms.

Just stop this nonsense.

Amen. The Dad's Army approach is somewhat embarrassing.

Aug 23, 2011
Dream on. Nobody could have got us into the top 4 with the injuries we've had.

Thats rubbish, i'm sure i could get us to the top of the league but then i would have been a player manager and stuck myself upfront because there is always one chance a game that someones granny could put away so if i can gobble those up (although i'm not a granny). I would also implement a total football formation where every 9 minutes the players change position (except the goalie) so everyone plays everywhere.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I didn't say the Irish were British. They're not. But the republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles - that's an indisputable geographic fact, mate. And my "sphere of influence" comment was made to explain things like playing styles and general sporting preferences. So as well as their own GAA, the Irish play football, rugby, golf, horse racing etc with as much enthusiasm as the rest of the British Isles. They don't play handball, ice hockey or baseball - and their style of soccer is broadly similar to our own, which is unsurprising considering most of their professional players start at a British football club.

You clearly need to get out more :) You're a mine of useless information that was not at all relevant to the gist of my comment. This is a perfect example of why we need thumbs down.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Let's hope Sussex show up better in the Gaelic and Hurling this year. I don't recall us making the all Britain finals, not in my lifetime anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You clearly need to get out more :) You're a mine of useless information that was not at all relevant to the gist of my comment. This is a perfect example of why we need thumbs down.

Fair enough. Just re-read the thread and can see why you arrived at that conclusion. A thumbs down would have been a bit harsh though. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports