Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Peak football

How old were you when you felt your own personal peak football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow. I am the one person who ticked over 50 (for now) ???

If the poll included over 60 I would have ticked that (because I am).

OK, when I was eleven my bedroom wall was covered with the centre and back pages of Shoot (including a nice one of the Glaziers) and I played Subbuteo (mostly against myself because my brothers were crap - sorry lads) most evenings, and listened to Monty Eddlestone and chums on radio 2, I was addicted. And in my 40s I got a season ticket and went to more than 10 away games a season (evening, [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] and [MENTION=944]Inkerman[/MENTION]).

But you can't beat the now. Embrace the now, FFS, or you are embracing the long slow slide into decline and death. Fight it! FFS! :lolol:

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was 26 when I ruptured my ACL. 2 years waiting for an operation, 12 months rehab. Three years were spent waiting, and then in the gym. I missed what should have been the peak years, and managed to play one more season before damaging the same knee. The NHS wouldn’t help second time around....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
"Taking the emotion of supporting the Albion out of it when was peak football for you and how old were you at the time?"

Very odd criteria, when peak football was inextricably linked to the emotional connection of supporting the Albion.

I went to both FA Cup final appearances with my parents but 'peak football' happened in my twenties due to many friendships and numerous shared experiences. The protests and fighting to save our club took the football supporting experience to a whole new level.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
First FA cup for me was 1980. Pretty sure I watched a year or 2 before, but 80. I was glued. Had been to my first few albion games in 79, so 80's was the growing years, 90's meant I could afford to go more and enjoy the day out. Or make the day enjoyable even if it wasn't!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
"Taking the emotion of supporting the Albion out of it when was peak football for you and how old were you at the time?"

Very odd criteria, when peak football was inextricably linked to the emotional connection of supporting the Albion.

I went to both FA Cup final appearances with my parents but 'peak football' happened in my twenties due to many friendships and numerous shared experiences. The protests and fighting to save our club took the football supporting experience to a whole new level.

Yeah I get what you mean but if it had been with your Albion emotional attachment it would have been a bi-polar split between the war years and Premier League promotion and that’s been done to death before.

I guess my football peak years coincided with the war years but my interest in wider football also peaked then and that’s what I wanted to draw out of people here.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Peak football for me was Thursday 26th May 1981 when I was 12. Foster back, therefore we're better, therefore we're going to win. Colossal disappointment.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yeah I get what you mean but if it had been with your Albion emotional attachment it would have been a bi-polar split between the war years and Premier League promotion and that’s been done to death before.

I guess my football peak years coincided with the war years but my interest in wider football also peaked then and that’s what I wanted to draw out of people here.

It's more like a multi-level split between being young and reckless getting away with far more than most supporters can now, added to fighting to save the club you love, plus being at games like Hereford away, York at home etc which to me will always be far more peak football than gaining promotion to the Prem as enjoyable as that was.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Overall in my twenties, so mainly the nineties. Watched any football I could, European, internationals, Channel 4 Italian football - loved it all.

Not the peak Albion era, but loved the Goldstone.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I was obsessed with all things football from 76-82. International's, Albion, FA Cup, players, stat's, so pre teen to mid teen.
My head got turned in the 80's by music, clubs, girls and eventually work.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I guess before sky came along and saturated tv with it
The good old days where you would watch the cup final day all day from watching them leave there hotel to the game . And be really excited if it went to a replay and you were allowed to stay up late on the Thursday night and watch it .
Sadly not anymore can’t remember the last cup final I watched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Interesting point re: FA Cup Final

Years ago, in a pub with mates, I asked the question of the first cup final folk remembered. For every person it was the one when they were 7. I wonder how much of an exercise in sporting memory retention that could be.

Southampton and Manchester United for me.

bobby stokes...!!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The last decade (2010's) was probably peak albion. We had very good teams in about 7 out of the 10 years

1990's was the decade I lived and breathed it most ... but I had a bit more time on my hands then

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Unusually forties for me.

I was a huge fan growing up and went to many games but it was when my son got to secondary school age and we starting going to the Albion together that was the peak. We'd discuss all things Albion before and after the game, go home, watch all the highlights on TV etc etc. This obviously coincided with the club's rise under Bloom which has been pretty much one way (first game we went to together was the Stockport County game at the Withdean). As my son got more invested, my enjoyment increased.

We still go together (or we did). He's 23 now with a Master's in Sports Science and is a full time football coach - this will be his last season ticket year as work and travel will stop him going. Not quite the same now but still love the game...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here