[NSC] PDC Darts Championships

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Opening night of the PDC's version of the World Darts tonight, looks like some tasty ties:

'I don't think you're ready for this..'Jelle Klaasen vs Kevin 'The Wild Boar' Burness (First round)

Kim 'The Hurricane' Huybrechts vs Geert 'The Gladiator' Nentjes (First round)

'Cool Hand Luke' Luke Humphries vs 'The African Warrior' Devon Petersen (First round)

'Mighty Mick' Michael van Gerwen vs Klaasen/Burness (Second round)

Cool Hand Luke v The African Warrior looks like the pick of the first round ties this evening. The African Warrior has the best walk on in the business, and anyone who has seen it can vouch for the fact it is worth the entry fee alone.

:clap:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I used to play football in Andover with Aaron Monk's Dad - Colin - who was a very useful player (football and darts).

It was really funny watching him absolutely HUSTLE the shit out of randomers in the pub after games

Colin Monk was my sons hero growing up. Former World Lakeside Semi FInalist, he has a lovely action and used to play an attractive, attacking brand of darts.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Love this.

"We're walking along, singing a song, walking in a Huybrechts wonderland"

Sang this during the Kim v Ronnie grudge match a few years ago.

He’s on now, Hi Ho Hurricane!!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well done to Fallon Sherrock - first woman to win a match at The PDC world championship. :clap2:

[tweet]1207064016390180866[/tweet]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Never seen Fallon play that well - take a bow young lady! Her manager (not sure if still is) is a Sussex bloke and a BHA fan too I think.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great story "SHERROCK - She Rocks!"

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The incessant booing of the male player was absolutely appalling and takes some of the shine off the young ladies fine victory.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
With respect and I’m not trying to be ignorant, but why is a female beating a man at darts such a big deal? Why is there even a skill gap there’s no physical aspect in darts that seperates men & women in most sports, seems a bit of an over the top reaction to me. And the booing of the bloke was an absolute disgrace, imagine being booed just because you’re playing a woman?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
With respect and I’m not trying to be ignorant, but why is a female beating a man at darts such a big deal? Why is there even a skill gap there’s no physical aspect in darts that seperates men & women in most sports, seems a bit of an over the top reaction to me. And the booing of the bloke was an absolute disgrace, imagine being booed just because you’re playing a woman?

I agree.

Probably a bit patronising as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

It’s a milestone because the traditional two governing bodies have different approaches. The BDO (lakeside) has always been segregated while the PDC encourages there to be no division. However as the BDO covers more extensive grassroots and amateur tournaments, and the PDC covers the higher end professional events, it’s harder for women to break into the PDC because they have limited opportunities if they are coming from a BDO background, or at the very least aren’t playing the same standard of opposition.

It created a sort of a catch 22 situation, where women were eligible to qualify for PDC tournaments but weren't at the standard to qualify and the only way you can raise yourself to that standard is by playing in those tournaments. In essence there was a glass ceiling stopping women rising into the higher levels of the game.

The PDC is now guaranteeing places for women players in their showpiece event, the world championship, and hopefully that will help more women players to break through and compete. So Sherrock winning is a milestone for the women’s game and the game in general, because hopefully one day, in an ideal world, it wouldn’t be the “women’s game” anymore it would just be one game for everyone.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Amazing game last night with Willie O'Connor going for the wrong double at 2-2 in sets and legs vs Gerwyn Price.

For the 2nd favorite, Price will need to play much better going forward. With the seeds falling like dominoes it looks like it is MVG's to lose.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sherrock leading the Gentle 2-1, such a shame the audience are acting like morons and booing every throw of the gentle. Sherrock is good enough to win without this booing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fantastic win for Sherrock. Outplayed the world number 11, winning with a bull to the delight of a capacity crowd of darts lovers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports