Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC Technical help required

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I've got something nasty in my PC. It's set it up so as when I start it up, as soon as it goes to my windows desktop, a DOS box appears with a shutdown command in it. Subsequently, it shuts down straight away.
Occasionally I can close the box before the command is executed, but still don't know how to edit whatever it is to remove the shutdown command.

I can use a PC fine, but as soon as it comes to tinkering with technical gubbins, I'm lost.

Any ideas?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Could be a virus however, try starting it in 'Safe' mode and if it manages that you have a duff driver.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
its a worm
easy to get rid of though

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
does this sound familiar ???

windows/system ifsa has stopped unsupected,
statuscode 128 you're pc will shut down en restart in a minute, then you get countdown
and after that the pc restarts itself. Over and over again

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
pc help wanted?..................dont even know why i bothered opening this thread :dunce:

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
moggy said:
does this sound familiar ???

windows/system ifsa has stopped unsupected,
statuscode 128 you're pc will shut down en restart in a minute, then you get countdown
and after that the pc restarts itself. Over and over again

No it's nothing like that. A DOS box pops up on desktop before anything else has a chance to get going. It has a filepath something like Documents & Settings/etc etc .... and then the command Shutdown. And that's just what it does.

Since the earlier problem, my browser has now been hijacked as well so I can't get onto the net (doing this at work). Home page gets diverted to something like dns.404. Then I get a pop up ad telling me that I've got spyware and it suggests a program to get rid of it, complete with link. I wasn't born yesterday and there's no way I'm clicking on it. These malware programs disguised as spyware tracers seem to be getting a bit popular at the moment.

A mate a work has suggested safe mode and system restore. Not something I've had to do before. Keeping fingers crossed. Will then GHOST my C drive once all is OK. Don't want this happening again.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Tom Hark said:
Have you tried switching it off and on again?

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. Can I nominate you as official NSC Help Desk person. :lolol:

To answer TGC - It wasn't overheating. Had a new motherboard, processor, memory, heat sink, fan, and power supply in the last few weeks.

Turned out that a system restore sorted it all out. Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here