Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Paying energy bills by direct debit - scam?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
you've heard about power companies offering to charge more during peak times? charge less overnight? the functionality is there to switch tariffs. smart meters were not pushed just so you can have a display indoors.
The Fire Service says do not run washing machines, dishwashers or tumble dryers overnight as they can easily cause fires.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
as in they can never cause a fire during the day?
They can, but usually there is someone up and about to switch off the power, or call the fire brigade. So equally, don't set them off and go shopping.
At least one fire a day is caused by white goods, in any area.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've just had my latest water bill - go figure how an average bill of £39 per month over the last year should translate into a "recommended payment" of £71 per month.
PXL_20221214_121802601.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They can, but usually there is someone up and about to switch off the power, or call the fire brigade. So equally, don't set them off and go shopping.
Out of the millions of appliances I’ll take those odds

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've just had my latest water bill - go figure how an average bill of £39 per month over the last year should translate into a "recommended payment" of £71 per month.
View attachment 154706
The algorithms do have a problem if you have a debit balance, as they seem add that to the estimated annual usage figure to get you pay it off (or something like that).

Although I just tried that with your bill and it didn't work. (39.20 x 12) + 190.52) / 12 = £55.08. So who knows.....

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure - but is it because you owe them £190 already, and they're trying to recoup it?
Well that bill arrived yesterday so doubt it. I can't make any sense of it. I'll continue to make this the only utility I pay on receipt of the bill rather than via DD - water companies are in my view the worst.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
View attachment 154706
It's simple. They take money in advance from you, invest it, and pay you 5% interest - much better investment than saving with a building society.

Apparently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Out of the millions of appliances I’ll take those odds
There are 45 Brigade areas so approximately 45 fires due to electical faults in white goods every day. 315 a week on average.
Take those odds to save a few pence on the heating and electricity?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well that bill arrived yesterday so doubt it. I can't make any sense of it. I'll continue to make this the only utility I pay on receipt of the bill rather than via DD - water companies are in my view the worst.
Do you have a water meter and is the reading correct?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There are 45 Brigade areas so approximately 45 fires due to electical faults in white goods every day. 315 a week on average.
Actually i’ve saved quite a bit by using timers etc for overnight usage and have done for years and don’t know anyone having a. Issue with fires ..I’ll trust my judgement but thanks for the advice

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Actually i’ve saved quite a bit by using timers etc for overnight usage and have done for years and don’t know anyone having a. Issue with fires ..I’ll trust my judgement but thanks for the advice
I can recommend smoke alarms upstairs and down just in case too......pretty much mitigates the relative (and miniscule) risk differential between a daytime and night time fire :shrug:
I would - let's say there are 25 million homes, each with a conservative 2 uses of white goods per day - that's 50 million individual uses of those white goods, spread equally across the 45 areas makes the odds of one catching fire just over 1.1 million to 1. Further mitigate that if your house has things like an up to date consumer board, alarms and the white goods are in good repair and being used properly then those odds lengthen further.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Then ask the water company to come and check for leaks. I did and there was a leak in the garden between the meter and the input pipe. It was repaired free of charge and an adjustment made to the bill.
Other than this bill is exactly in line with what I would expect, if anything a bit less given the hosepipe ban I assume. I'm curious but not concerned!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Isn't part of the point now with smart meters that they allow you to use white goods in lower demand times of day, rather than just night time to smooth out the call for power?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you've heard about power companies offering to charge more during peak times? charge less overnight? the functionality is there to switch tariffs. smart meters were not pushed just so you can have a display indoors.
They can't do anything without prior notification. Also, what makes you think I said they were pushed just to allow an indoor display? I just pointed out that was a useful function which has helped me reduce my usage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here