Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Paying energy bills by direct debit - scam?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I can recommend smoke alarms upstairs and down just in case too......pretty much mitigates the relative (and miniscule) risk differential between a daytime and night time fire :shrug:

I would - let's say there are 25 million homes, each with a conservative 2 uses of white goods per day - that's 50 million individual uses of those white goods, spread equally across the 45 areas makes the odds of one catching fire just over 1.1 million to 1. Further mitigate that if your house has things like an up to date consumer board, alarms and the white goods are in good repair and being used properly then those odds lengthen further.
Excellent post, if you include toasters and kettles as potential fire starting appliances the number of opportunities increases massively. Of course these appliances are rarely used unattended at night but they reduce the frequency or odds of a home fire even further.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well the thread has inspired me to actually check my bill thoroughly.

The good news is that I am currently a mere £80 in credit so I'm not benefitting them much there.
The bad news is that my monthly payment is pretty much bang on what I'd expect to pay in the worst months (adjusted for current energy prices, £134 for those who like to know such things)
An odd situation, though I suspect their algorithms were thrown when they failed at their end to set up my direct debit at all for 4 months.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Guess you don't use a bank either then.
Bank balances are protected up to £85K

I’m still trying to sort out my gas supply and bill after an erroneous transfer, in September 2021, with Pure Planet who went under in October 2021.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm with Shell Energy for electricity and they reduced my direct debit by £66 temporarily whilst the government payment is being paid. My monthly payment has also gone down.
I can input my own readings (I wouldn't touch a smart meter with a barge pole), and alter the DD amount on their website.

My advice is to ring up, ask for your credit balance to be repaid, and then pay monthly yourself. Cancel your direct debit.
The company has also broken the Direct Debit code by not giving you 10 working days notice of a change in your payment.
Get rid as soon as you can. Their back end billing system is flaky, and their customer support when it goes wrong is really, really poor. I was with them for energy and broadband last year, until they "lost" a broadband payment they'd taken through direct debit and starting chasing me for debt collection with really aggressive emails and text messages ... which continued to happen even after they told me they'd put a stop on the debt collection when I raised a complaint. That complaint ended up going to the ombudsman after they'd twice incorrectly told me it was resolved, and all of a sudden it did get resolved.

Shell Energy is a rebrand of what used to be First:Utility, who had an abysmal record on customer support. My own experience (and research I did when I had my issues suggests I wasn't alone) suggests that Shell hasn't done much to improve matters since taking over.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
there's nothing smart about them, thats just fancy branding. when they work they are simply remote controls for the power companies. their purpose is to enable power companies to switch tariffs according to demand or cut supply.
I'm with Octopus. They make good use of smart meters - for example, I'm on a tariff that gives me 4 hours of super-cheap electric overnight (which I'm using in these low-light winter months for EV charging and will save a worthwhile amount over the coming months). But that's the simplest of Octopus' "smart" tariffs - they have others that are even more clever and wouldn't be possible without smart meters.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Attachments

• F7507EC1-4384-42D1-B3BD-0681F9B5FC50.jpeg
    F7507EC1-4384-42D1-B3BD-0681F9B5FC50.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 25

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm with Octopus. They make good use of smart meters - for example, I'm on a tariff that gives me 4 hours of super-cheap electric overnight (which I'm using in these low-light winter months for EV charging and will save a worthwhile amount over the coming months). But that's the simplest of Octopus' "smart" tariffs - they have others that are even more clever and wouldn't be possible without smart meters.
like economy 7 from 70's. its not particularly smart, changing tariff to a schedule. im not denying that is useful, just its very inflated name. "variable tariff" meters isnt quite the same sell.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can’t find that one now, but this one is better as it breaks down which household appliances cause fires.

That does paint a slightly different picture to the one you portrayed though. The 12k are over 3 1/4 years so per day it's about 10, not 45. Also, those figures include all white goods and some you wouldn't used a delayed start on, eg toasters. It also includes fridge freezers which nobody turns off overnight.

So whilst I agree there is a risk, it's nowhere near as bad as you have made out so it's about proportionality. For example, in 2021 there were 24,530 people killed or seriously injured on UK roads, that's about 67 per day but does that stop you driving?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I had a set to with EDF a month or two ago. I am a dual fuel customer and they were charging me £205 per month on DD. I got my yearly estimate from them, which, when I calculated my annual cost, came to an average of £155 per month. I got them to change it. It just bollocks about "trying to smooth the winter and summer" - my DD was intentionally too high.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think it was because I originally considered asking which financial institution offered a beer account facility 😏 (referring to your earlier post) changed my mind and somehow it retained your name
Ahh, it was Barclays, at the time, had a massive bust up with them in 97 . . . You can call your account what you like apparently, within reason I'm sure.

I had beer account cheque books too.

maybe now you could have a parasitic account, for all those who help themselves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here