Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

 Pay

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry ..... am a bit lost as to what the debate is about here. I've been using Cash on Tap via EE on my android mobile for a while, particularly for travelling in London. So what is it that Apple Pay does that is different? I appreciate that in the longer term Apple Pay might enable bigger payments than 20 or 30 quid using fingerprint technology, but my understanding is that initially, particularly for the first year, it will work no differently to other contactless forms of payment. And by then then either Android Pay will also be available or the whole thing would have been scuppered by a new directive from the European Union Council of Ministers.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I do wonder if it will catch on as much in the UK as it has in the States.

Here, card technology is very backward. It's very rare to type in a pin to pay for something in a shop. You just give them a card and they swipe it - exceptions tend to be supermarkets and big ticket items but even then you are just as likely to have to sign. Apple Pay is just an extension of this and is better suited to US methods of payment than the UK.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This went live today.

I've added my cards to my phone - very easily done by just pointing the iPhone camera at each card. I might walk down the road to our local M&S to buy something, just anything, to try it out.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I can't register mine as I am with First Direct and it seems HSBC/First Direct have been put on Apples Naughty step for leaking the release date last week and have been bumped from launch date partner to coming soon.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Haven't bothered to read up on the tech but isn't it usually the case that contactless only works over a few centimeters, and probably less than the thickness of your wrist? So unless you wear your watch face-down aren't you going to have to do some sort of wrist rotation manoeuvre every time you want to go through the barrier?

I foresee much spilling of coffee and dropping of bags at the barriers as a result of this.*

*For others, of course; I'm not impugning your manual dexterity.

Is it really that difficult for you to rotate your wrist?

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I can't register mine as I am with First Direct and it seems HSBC/First Direct have been put on Apples Naughty step for leaking the release date last week and have been bumped from launch date partner to coming soon.

I haven't got any cards that will register yet either.

Weird that they chose to use an HSBC card on the UK Apple Pay web page when its not available yet https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've kinda missed all this, So you just add cards and then you can use any contactless reader? Is it also restricted to under £20?

The limit for contactless payments is increased to £30 in September

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The limit for contactless payments is increased to £30 in September

Ahh yes I remember PB going on about that when he did away with eCash. But if Apple have encrypted it so much, surely there shouldn't be a limit as with just holding the card over the machine?

Also if you have multiple cards registered, how do you choose which card? The apple promo says you automatically hold the card over the scanner with your finger print on the button, you don't need to do anything else but which card will be billed?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Ahh yes I remember PB going on about that when he did away with eCash. But if Apple have encrypted it so much, surely there shouldn't be a limit as with just holding the card over the machine?

Also if you have multiple cards registered, how do you choose which card? The apple promo says you automatically hold the card over the scanner with your finger print on the button, you don't need to do anything else but which card will be billed?

Just worked it out, you have a default card in settings you can change to any card you like. But if you don't want to pay with default, you have to open the passbook app first and choose an alternative card.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's the payment service providers and the banks that have set the £20 (soon to be £30) limit, although some stores will have higher limits. I assume they take on the risk of fraud when they do so.

You select which card you want to be your default card - that's the one that will be charged if you validate with TouchID as you make your payment. If you don't hold your thumb/finger on TouchID as you move your iPhone to make the payment then you get to choose which card. A copy and paste from elsewhere...

"When you're at the checkout and your total is given to you, hold your iPhone next to the terminal as you normally would with one difference... DON'T hold your thumb on the Home button! When the terminal makes the connection with your phone, it will see that you haven't authorized it for payment. At that point, it will ask you which card you want to use. Choose the card, then hold your thumb on the Touch ID sensor to authorize payment."

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's the payment service providers and the banks that have set the £20 (soon to be £30) limit, although some stores will have higher limits. I assume they take on the risk of fraud when they do so.

You select which card you want to be your default card - that's the one that will be charged if you validate with TouchID as you make your payment. If you don't hold your thumb/finger on TouchID as you move your iPhone to make the payment then you get to choose which card. A copy and paste from elsewhere...

"When you're at the checkout and your total is given to you, hold your iPhone next to the terminal as you normally would with one difference... DON'T hold your thumb on the Home button! When the terminal makes the connection with your phone, it will see that you haven't authorized it for payment. At that point, it will ask you which card you want to use. Choose the card, then hold your thumb on the Touch ID sensor to authorize payment."

Nice functionality.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Great so you don't have to manually open passbook. That's superb! Although I do think that Apple pay should have its own limit compared to contactless. Contactless has no security where as apple pay is totally finger print encrypted.
On another note the technology to recognise a card just by pointing the phone at the card is incredible.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I wonder if Apple Pay is going to make a big difference to the watch sales. Something has got to turn it around as it currently looks like the watch has been a total flop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here