Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pay your taxes Boris!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really don't know the answer, but I'm guessing that it must be pretty hard to relinquish the passport as this would be a potentially very straight forward way to avoid US tax?

It's easy to give up, but almost impossible to get back I'd say.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In my opinion Boris is a very nasty piece of work. He has thus far swerved being held to account on a very many highly questionable decisions he's made.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As Hans has pointed out it is how their system works and it is on world-wide income.

It most certainly is. So why doesn't he just give up his US citizenship, like a lot of US expats who earn pretty decent wedge are doing? Can't imagine he'd ever want to end up back here.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It most certainly is. So why doesn't he just give up his US citizenship, like a lot of US expats who earn pretty decent wedge are doing? Can't imagine he'd ever want to end up back here.

But the whole tax bill sounds wrong to me. There's a double taxation treaty and he was assessed in the UK on the sale of his hous and they determined there was no tax to pay. Now the US is also assessing the sale and claiming tax. They should F**K off and take their ridiculous extradition rules with them too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He has thus far swerved being held to account on a very many highly questionable decisions he's made.

How did he not get held to account at the ballot box in 2012 then ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But the whole tax bill sounds wrong to me. There's a double taxation treaty and he was assessed in the UK on the sale of his hous and they determined there was no tax to pay. Now the US is also assessing the sale and claiming tax. They should F**K off and take their ridiculous extradition rules with them too.

Shall we all tell our country our tax rules are wrong and tell them to **** off?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

We've been there before: because he's that funny, posh man messing about on the telly: such a funny man, with his funny, silly messy blond hair, always cracking jokes and bumbling about, like a silly bumbling posho. What's not to like?

I don't know of course but I reckon that "at least he's a bit of a laugh" - based on the above - is about as deeply as many of his voters consider him.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

That's entirely my point . A lot of stuff he does is possibly borderline legal but the vast majority of his wrongdoings are just abhorant and morally reprehensible. Look up his history with married women and illegitimate children. Vile "man".

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Shall we all tell our country our tax rules are wrong and tell them to **** off?

There's a double taxation treaty. He has been assessed on the UK capital gains and he has no tax to pay so Yes we should tell the US to F**K off, particularly with respect to their extradition rules which are ludicrous. What's wrong with that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's a double taxation treaty. He has been assessed on the UK capital gains and he has no tax to pay so Yes we should tell the US to F**K off, particularly with respect to their extradition rules which are ludicrous. What's wrong with that?

As I pointed out earlier, the double tax treaty is to facilitate payment of bills, not determine bills. As an example my tax is accessed in both the UK and Germany under the law of both countries. The treaty ensures I do not pay the same bill twice. How the bills are arrived at is independent of this treaty. It's no different to an agreement to pay £10 when 'friend a' owes 'friend b' £25 and b owes a £15.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nothing wrong with that, except he's a US citizen and bound by their tax laws. I'm sure you understand that we can't just ignore laws.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Dear me: He is a US citizen. He doesn't have to be. He could have relinquished it lbefore now. But he hasn't. Now, as part of that deal, rightly or wrongly, the US taxes its citizens overseas. The upside or benefits of that deal - assuming he thinks that's what they are - are that he can a) use the fast queue at immigration at US airports (which is admittedly very nice, ahem) and b) move to the US to live and work any time that he chooses to. But that's the deal, which he's willingly party to. Quite straightforward.

But typically, he's being slippery and not fulfilling his side of the bargain and hoping to get away with it.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
In my opinion Boris is a very nasty piece of work. He has thus far swerved being held to account on a very many highly questionable decisions he's made.

Yep. Scumbag laughing at us all via his (pitiful) Laurel and Hardy act. Would not piss on him if he was on fire...unless I could piss petrol.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
The IRS has long arms and a long memory. It could be very interesting for him on his next visit to the US, unless of course he negotiates a settlement. There really is not an available option called 'I'm very important and therefore these rules don't apply to me'. Also ignorance of the law, as Boris surely knows, is not an excuse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
As I pointed out earlier, the double tax treaty is to facilitate payment of bills, not determine bills. As an example my tax is accessed in both the UK and Germany under the law of both countries. The treaty ensures I do not pay the same bill twice. How the bills are arrived at is independent of this treaty. It's no different to an agreement to pay £10 when 'friend a' owes 'friend b' £25 and b owes a £15.
This is wrong. My UK earnings are assessed and the tax paid in the UK. My South African earnings are assessed and the tax paid in South Africa. That is the basis of a double taxation treaty. I do not have to declare my UK earnings in SA and vice versa.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is wrong. My UK earnings are assessed and the tax paid in the UK. My South African earnings are assessed and the tax paid in South Africa. That is the basis of a double taxation treaty. I do not have to declare my UK earnings in SA and vice versa.

The US operates under world-wide income
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad but under US law it doesn't matter where you live.

For citizens of Germany it's world-wide income as well.
http://www.capitaltaxconsulting.com/international-tax/germany/german-income-tax/

And if you are a resident of SA so do you according to KPMG
http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/Issue...eyond-borders/Documents/south-africa-2013.pdf If you are not a resident then you're okay.

Different rules for different countries

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here